StromTrooper banner
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
I installed mine today and it is quite a fiddly job with lots of parts and fittings to be removed.
I can't imagine the dealer doing it in two hours and following the instructions. Just removing the side covers is a really fiddly job and you could cause damage them if you don't take your time.
I had my dealer install a Rad radiator guard and when I removed the bottom radiator bolt it had been stripped. Luckily I had a tap and dye set to repair.
I personally wouldn't trust a dealer to do the same job as me in two hours, they would rush and make mistakes just like stripping a bolt and not fixing it.
Thanks. I had a follow-up discussions with both the service manager and his main mechanic after my last post. The service manager said the quote was purely based on what the Suzuki book rate for this part. The mechanic chuckled and said it would likely take at least twice as long to install this part. Fingers crossed.

As a bonus - I am also having the dealer install my Givi side bag mounts as well during the same appointment. Fingers crossed ....

Departing in about 30 minutes...

·
Administrator
14,470 Posts
I did mine this past weekend. Did the install and wiring Sunday eve and put everything back together Monday Morning. Don't know how many hours but as mentioned above a bit fiddly. I'm sure it would take me way less time if I did it again as much of the time was spend figuring out how things come apart.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
18,970 Posts
I did mine this past weekend. Did the install and wiring Sunday eve and put everything back together Monday Morning. Don't know how many hours but as mentioned above a bit fiddly. I'm sure it would take me way less time if I did it again as much of the time was spend figuring out how things come apart.

..Tom
The OEM heated grips on the Yamaha Tracer GT run through the TFT display, that sounds like a pretty simple plug and play system which Zuk could've done as well.

·
Registered
303 Posts
My thoughts are that it could be quite an expensive option to have a dealer install OEM heated grips. The grips kit is over $500 plus 4 hours labour ( they will be trying to figure out disassembly just like us.) @$120 per hour. Suddenly your looking at over $1000 for heated grips.
Definitely a better option OEM but only if you tackle the install yourself.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My thoughts are that it could be quite an expensive option to have a dealer install OEM heated grips. The grips kit is over $500 plus 4 hours labour ( they will be trying to figure out disassembly just like us.) @$120 per hour. Suddenly your looking at over $1000 for heated grips.
Definitely a better option OEM but only if you tackle the install yourself.
I got a 20 percent discount on the OEM heated grips and they are being installed for $150.

I can now spent the rest of the day doing my day job while the experts are doing the work. Fingers crossed that I have warm hands for the ride back from the dealership this evening .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks. But can’t say it has worked out yet. Will report back later after the dig into this ... plus the Gigi bag mount they are trying to install as well. Yikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
14,470 Posts
The OEM heated grips on the Yamaha Tracer GT run through the TFT display, that sounds like a pretty simple plug and play system which Zuk could've done as well.
There are no conntection of the circuitry apart from connecting the two heated grips and the switched power plug by the radiator. The long wiring harness could easily have been shortened with the controller being put under the dash somewhere. Dont know why it had to be routed all the way to the back of the bike.

..Tom

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello
I have the oem heated grip, but I have no manuel about it. I managed to start them and yes they can be really hot. If I want to switch them off, then I stop the engine. I tried a couple of things without success.
If you could help me with a picture of the manual or a quick explanation, I will be really pleased.

·
Administrator
14,470 Posts
Hello
I have the oem heated grip, but I have no manuel about it. I managed to start them and yes they can be really hot. If I want to switch them off, then I stop the engine. I tried a couple of things without success.
If you could help me with a picture of the manual or a quick explanation, I will be really pleased.
The OEM grips for the DL1050 have a button on the left grip. First press turns it on maximum heat, 2nd press lowers it one step, third lowers it to the lowest level and next press turns it off. The light blinks as you press the button. First press three blinks, 2nd two blinks and 3rd three blinks then off (or maybe it's other way around. I stopped looking.)

Hope that helps!

..Tom

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
I installed mine today and it is quite a fiddly job with lots of parts and fittings to be removed.
I can't imagine the dealer doing it in two hours and following the instructions. Just removing the side covers is a really fiddly job and you could cause damage them if you don't take your time.
I had my dealer install a Rad radiator guard and when I removed the bottom radiator bolt it had been stripped. Luckily I had a tap and dye set to repair.
I personally wouldn't trust a dealer to do the same job as me in two hours, they would rush and make mistakes just like stripping a bolt and not fixing it.
Agreed. The most unnerving part of the job was removing the panels carefully to avoid breaking those all important little tabs. A dealer would be trying to finish in less than the time alotted for the repair, so rushing would be likely. Doing it yourself you know it's done properly.

Enjoy the grips. I find they work very well and are plenty warm enough.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The OEM grips for the DL1050 have a button on the left grip. First press turns it on maximum heat, 2nd press lowers it one step, third lowers it to the lowest level and next press turns it on. The light blinks as you press the button. First press three blinks, 2nd two blinks and 3rd three blinks then off (or maybe it's other way around. I stopped looking.)

Hope that helps!

..Tom
Thank you very much Tom. Sound stupid to ask when you know the answer!
I will try again tomorrow.
Nice weekend to you all!

·
Registered
2020 V-Strom 1050
21 Posts
Does anyone still have their installation instructions for the OEM heated grip or know where I can go to download it? I just ordered one from Japan and apparently the instructions will be in Japanese. Also, on the website, it says glue is required but not supplied. Did you use glue for your install and did it come with your OEM heated grip?

·
Registered
2014 DL650A, 2019 DL650XT
221 Posts
Does anyone still have their installation instructions for the OEM heated grip or know where I can go to download it? I just ordered one from Japan and apparently the instructions will be in Japanese. Also, on the website, it says glue is required but not supplied. Did you use glue for your install and did it come with your OEM heated grip?
I think I may have my instructions, will check and get back to you. The glue is used for the left grip, none was supplied in the kit I got. I just used some cheap hairspray, worked great.

·
Registered
2020 V-Strom 1050
21 Posts
The instructions are in a booklet containing instructions in several languages including Japanese. In case you don't get that booklet, I've attached a scan of the instructions in English.
Really appreciate your help! I noticed that it says DL650, did you have any issues following it on your DL1050? Hairspray as glue? Awesome idea, I might have to go get a can.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 V-Strom 1050
21 Posts
Doh! I didn't notice that you had a 1050 and this was a 1050 forum. My install was on a 650. I would imagine it's a similar process on the two models.
Thanks for sharing the hairspray idea, hard to believe that's all it takes to hold the grip. I'm willing to give it a try since I can always use a stronger glue later if it doesn't hold.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 79 Posts