StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this arrived for me at my dealer today:

I ordered them in May, before I even took delivery of my 1050. They've been on back order until now. After going through the instruction manual it seems a bit more involved than your typical Oxford installation. For example, the grip controller module attaches to a connector in the tail piece, which requires removing the back rack assembly. I plan to install them this weekend - I'll post pics.

K

·
Registered
303 Posts
I also ordered these heated Grips and was told by my dealer that they would be available on the 19th Sept.
Will be interested to see how you go with the install.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I installed the grips today. The kits comes with left and right side grips (the original grips are not reused), wiring harness, controller and other bits of hardware. It was a finicky job, taking about 4 hours in total. This included removing the required body parts and panels, and was made more difficult because I had side case and top box carriers that had to come off as well. That said, I'm happy with the end result. It's a very clean, OEM (obviously!) look and they function well, perhaps too hot at maximum on this August day.

The stock heater connection is near the radiator on the right side so the right side panel has to be removed to access it and make the connections. The instructions say to remove both side panels, but removal of the left really isn't required. The tail piece/rack must be removed and the rear fender loosened order to install the heater controller in the recommended location (see pics below with arrows). It could be installed anywhere really, but the recommended location is very clean and out of the way, and you don't have to coil up the wiring harness and tuck it away somewhere. Also, the instructions recommend removing the right radiator bolt in order to slide the grip connectors through the gap between radiator and frame. However, loosening the bolt several turns allowed the rad to be moved enough to accomplish this.

I assumed the grip heaters would simply plug into the stock heater connector near the radiator, but this is not the case. The included wiring harness actually connects to this plug. The grips also connect to the harness at this end, and the heater controller connects at the other end. The most difficult part of the installation was snaking that harness through small openings in and around the frame in order to conceal it as much as possible. In the end it's worth the trouble because you can barely see the harness. And Suzuki kindly added purple tape to the harness to indicate the recommended spots to fasten it to the frame with the included zip ties. Some of the stock fasteners are also re-used.

The kit seems to be of good quality. The grips are similar to those removed, the connections are solid and the cables/harness are all exactly the correct length. And as I said earlier, I really like the clean look without a large control panel. Yes, the kit was quite a bit more expensive than an Oxford kit, but to each their own. Once the weather gets colder and I start using them I'll report back.

Hover the cursor over the pics for a short description.

Cheers!
K
Panels removed
Tail piece removed and fender loose
This is the mounting tab for the controller
Switch disassembled, removing throttle grip
New heated throttle grip in place
Left side grip in place. I used hair spray.
The four connectors near the radiator.
The controller in place. The other wires for my brake light flasher.
It works!
Nice clean installation.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Great write up Skinner. Looks like a bigger job than I anticipated but it will be fun pulling the bike down to do this install. I had seen some earlier reviews of the OEM grips and how they were not that good so I was pleased that they have fixed this problem and that they do get hot.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What a great write-up indeed. Thank you for doing that. Still considering going OEM or Oxford...still deciding ugh.

Saw you had auxiliary lights...what kind are they please?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What a great write-up indeed. Thank you for doing that. Still considering going OEM or Oxford...still deciding ugh.

Saw you had auxiliary lights...what kind are they please?
They’re from Amazon. Link below:

·
Registered
324 Posts
I really like that the controller is built into the grip and not a separate item like in years past.

Maybe I missed it but can you tell me if the grips work as soon as you install them or does a dealer need to flash or reset anything?

My 2018R1200GS needs new cams at only 7,000 miles. I may dump BMW once and for all and pick up the same Coast Guard color scheme V-Strom 1050 you have. Tired of paying BMW money and getting cruddy reliability.

NC

I installed the grips today. The kits comes with left and right side grips (the original grips are not reused), wiring harness, controller and other bits of hardware. It was a finicky job, taking about 4 hours in total. This included removing the required body parts and panels, and was made more difficult because I had side case and top box carriers that had to come off as well. That said, I'm happy with the end result. It's a very clean, OEM (obviously!) look and they function well, perhaps too hot at maximum on this August day.

The stock heater connection is near the radiator on the right side so the right side panel has to be removed to access it and make the connections. The instructions say to remove both side panels, but removal of the left really isn't required. The tail piece/rack must be removed and the rear fender loosened order to install the heater controller in the recommended location (see pics below with arrows). It could be installed anywhere really, but the recommenced location is very clean and out of the way, and you don't have to coil up the wiring harness and tuck it away somewhere. Also, the instructions recommend removing the right radiator bolt in order to slide the grip connectors through the gap between radiator and frame. However, loosening the bolt several turns allowed the rad to be moved enough to accomplish this.

I assumed the grip heaters would simply plug into the stock heater connector near the radiator, but this is not the case. The included wiring harness actually connects to this plug. The grips also connect to the harness at this end, and the heater controller connects at the other end. The most difficult part of the installation was snaking that harness through small openings in and around the frame in order to conceal it as much as possible. In the end it's worth the trouble because you can barely see the harness. And Suzuki kindly added purple tape to the harness to indicate the recommended spots to fasten it to the frame with the included zip ties. Some of the stock fasteners are also re-used.

The kit seems to be of good quality. The grips are similar to those removed, the connections are solid and the cables/harness are all exactly the correct length. And as I said earlier, I really like the clean look without a large control panel. Yes, the kit was quite a bit more expensive than an Oxford kit, but to each their own. Once the weather gets colder and I start using them I'll report back.

Hover the cursor over the pics for a short description.

Cheers!
K
View attachment 276649 View attachment 276650 View attachment 276651 View attachment 276653 View attachment 276654 View attachment 276655 View attachment 276656 View attachment 276657 View attachment 276658 View attachment 276659

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm happy to report that the OEM heated grips work very well. The high setting is quite hot, and the low setting was just perfect for an evening 10C ride. There is heat all the way around the grips - my fingers and palms were equally warm. No fade, just consistent heat. The control is very easy to access and use. Happy with my purchase.

Cheers!
K

·
Administrator
14,463 Posts
@Skinner

Thanks for your write up! I really appreciate it!

Hopefully mine will arrive in the next week or so. I need to tap something to trigger a relay for my heated seat and thought I would tap into either the heated grip power plug or (ideally) part of that harness under the seat. Do you think the latter is possible? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

..Tom

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
V Tom you can switches for DRl's (daytime running lights) they work just like the controller on Oxford grips, when the bike starts and the voltage rises they will trigger your relay and when the motor stops they drop the relay, may work in your situation, we don't need heated seats down under.

Other than that the brake light or tail light wires are popular for triggering relays.

·
Administrator
14,463 Posts
V Tom you can switches for DRl's (daytime running lights) they work just like the controller on Oxford grips, when the bike starts and the voltage rises they will trigger your relay and when the motor stops they drop the relay, may work in your situation, we don't need heated seats down under.

Other than that the brake light or tail light wires are popular for triggering relays.
I want to use my relay kit as I have on my three previous Stroms. On my 2006 DL650 I tapped into the tail light. On the 2012 DL650 and the 2015 DL1000 I used a plug and play solution from Eastern Beaver that was simple and easy. I don't know if the harness for the heated grips is easy to tap into and may have to tap into the tail lights this weekend as the Russel Day Long Heated seat should arrive shortly while the heated grips could be another week or two.

On a separate note I don't trust the way Oxford does the heated grips and have seen a few posts where it's killed the battery.

Thanks!

..Tom

·
Registered
303 Posts
Dealer quoted me $150 for install. That seems to cover about two hours worth of labor.

Thoughts on install pricing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I installed mine today and it is quite a fiddly job with lots of parts and fittings to be removed.
I can't imagine the dealer doing it in two hours and following the instructions. Just removing the side covers is a really fiddly job and you could cause damage them if you don't take your time.
I had my dealer install a Rad radiator guard and when I removed the bottom radiator bolt it had been stripped. Luckily I had a tap and dye set to repair.
I personally wouldn't trust a dealer to do the same job as me in two hours, they would rush and make mistakes just like stripping a bolt and not fixing it.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts