StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know they're a bit pricey, (they'd be a "suprise";) gift) but what should I expect from the Suzuki OEM heated grips versus the generic under-grip warmers that I've used since wandering from the BMW flock years ago?

Specifically:

1. Can the control knob be mounted any place other than on the handlebar, next to the left grip?

2. If the control knob is set on "low" will it draw less power than on "high"?

3. Are the grips significantly thicker than stock grips?

4. Do they work well for their intended task?

Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey Joe,
I can give you my input on the last two questions. The grips are a bit thicker than the OEM, but I wouldn't say a lot thicker. For me, the grips are good on chilly rides, but I wished that instead of getting the heated grips, I would have went with the heated gloves. I'm sure that the grips helps when it gets cold, but I have a hard time feeling it.(say mid twenties to mid thirties). They are great if you are out riding and the temp drops a bit, just turn the knob, and you have some warmth. Good luck.

Shannon

·
Registered
654 Posts
1. Can the control knob be mounted any place other than on the handlebar, next to the left grip?

Yes, but not easily. It's meant to be mounted under the LH mirror stalk, and this location works perfectly.

2. If the control knob is set on "low" will it draw less power than on "high"?

Yes, since it is a rheostat design. It only draws what you ask of it.

3. Are the grips significantly thicker than stock grips?

Yes, and I find them to be more comfortable than the skinny little stock grips.

4. Do they work well for their intended task?

Yes, they work very well.
I'm pleased with them, and would buy them again.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
IMNSHO, they are overpriced and of spotty quality. I happen to have chosen HotGrips. http://www.hotgrips.com/store.php?rn=121&action=show_detail is what I got. They are significantly thicker and you may find a better price from a different vendor. That is just one alternative. There are plenty of solutions out there and most are better than the Suzuki grips. Do a google search on

heated grips site:stromtrooper.com

more more info and opinions. See http://www.warmnsafe.com/motorcycle_handgrips.php for controllers you can put anywhere you want.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I agree with Greywolf regarding the quality (low) and price (high) of the Suzuki heated grips.

Check out Oxford "Heaterz." They are 1/3 the price and far better quality. Also, they use an 4-setting electronic controller, which is more efficient than a rheostat and will automatically shut off if your voltage drops too low. The controller will easily surface mount in a variety of locations.

Stay away from the "Trackside Live" grips from Cycle Parts. They are complete garbage!

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
http://www.pollyheaters.com/ph400.htm

These work for me, I had to shorten the bolts on the stock bar ends, because you want the heat cartridges right under your hands. I like grip heaters, cause they are always there, nothing to remember to pack (or forget and leave in the garage). A trip from Oregon to Montana in July, it was 38 degrees when I woke in Stanley, Id, I was very happy to have these, with my buckskin gloves, same crossing Mt. Raineer, parking alongside snow banks coming home.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Joe, I've only ever used the Suzuki OEM grips which I find work very well in the coldest of weather, so I cannot make any comparisons with other makes. Yes...they use less juice when set on 'low'. I'm sure you could mount the control for them somewhere else other than by the left grip...you would have to experiment! The grips seem about the same size as standard non heated grips.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I paid $55 for a set of Oxford Heaterz. This includes the grips, controller, and wiring. What I really like is the controller's options of installing either on the handlebars, or on your left turn signal housing using the included bracket. My handlebars are crowded, so I put it on the left housing.

They work very well, and warm up faster than the OEM's I used to have.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I agree with Greywolf regarding the quality (low) and price (high) of the Suzuki heated grips.

Check out Oxford "Heaterz." They are 1/3 the price and far better quality. Also, they use an 4-setting electronic controller, which is more efficient than a rheostat and will automatically shut off if your voltage drops too low. The controller will easily surface mount in a variety of locations.

Stay away from the "Trackside Live" grips from Cycle Parts. They are complete garbage!
+1 on the oxfords...buddy led me to them and i love em'.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Since you mentioned under-grip heating elements I am sure you are familiar with Dual-Stars. I had HotGrips on a previous bike, but on the last few I've installed Dual-Stars, which I think are superior in design (no resistor) and performance. And they are cheap. And you can use any grip you want. What's not to like?

How can Suzuki justify the price of their branded grips? It's friggin' ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I have the Oxfords and they work well. They give a bit more of a handfull too. I had them on my Burgman and I liked them so much that and I'm putting them on the Wee soon. But you will need handguards as well to keep the back of your hands from freezing.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Oxfords, unless you like paying more and getting less.

·
Registered
57 Posts
OEM Heated Grips

I got four months out of them before they burned out. Thinking twice about replacing them with the OEMs again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts