StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the Suzuki heated grips installed on my '12 DL650. On the high setting I get a little heat in a narrow horizontal strip at the front of the left grip and basically nothing in the right grip. Are the OEM heated grips basically junk, or might I have defective grips or maybe instalation error? If an installation error is there something specific I should have the shop look at? I'm not a wizard with electrons and I'm not sure the shop mechanic is either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Suzuki OEM grips on my 2012 Vstrom 650 are worthless too

I bought the Suzuki OEM heated grips, which were installed before I picked up my 2012 Vstrom 650. On high, the grips get just slightly warm. I bought my bike at the Suzuki dealer in Santa Fe New Mexico. They basically screwed up everything they touched and I will never have them work on my bike again. This makes me wonder if the OEM heated grips are garbage, or did the garbage dealership screw up the installation. Any advice appreciated.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
OEM heated grips are notoriously problematic. I don't know about your dealer.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I bought the OEM heated grips when I bought the bike (for a pretty good discount). However, the dealer didn't want to install them so I did it myself and they work well. Sounds like your dealer messed up! Better go back and ask about it.....

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's bad grips, unless they rewired something, installing them is a no brainer, you plug it in to the oem plug that it fits into, not only is it extremely hard to mess up but I can't think of a way they could hook it to only partially work, it just wouldn't heat up at all.

With that said, my controller went out and after replacing it the left grip was only warm right at the edge, replaced the grip and it works Fine. From what I read when diagnosing mine, the oem grips are known for problems.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
15,401 Posts
I've got 10 year old Oxfords on my Wee and those suckers work great...if you can't get the dealer to rectify the stock grip problem.
The Oxfords are far better than any of the factory heated grips I've had on my Beemers.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have OEM grips now, installed by previous owner. If I want to put the Oxfords on the bike, can I still use all the OEM electrical (switch, wiring, etc.) and just mate the new grips with the existing electrical system?

Would be cleaner and easier, unless the switch shows problems also....

·
Premium Member
4,182 Posts
Likely all the connectors would be different between Oxford and stockers. The Oxford controller is made for that product and easy to install. Oxford is cheap too. Under $100. Get a set and be happy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Oxford heated grips

After reading this post, I have just ordered a set of Oxford heated grips.
Happy about the price and a third of the price for OEM! Thanks to all!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the Suzuki grip heaters installed by the dealer when I bought my '11 DL650 and they work great. I do notice that over the past couple of years the left grip is hotter than the right but not enough to matter.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Problems with oem grips too

I bought a set of OEM heated grips and installed them myself. First try, they didn't work. After a few rides, they would work fine but would cut in and out. I suspect a poor connection, but can't troubleshoot it while riding(when it fails). Almost every morning now they will work for about 10 minutes then fail. Both heat fine then they both fail. Its either a faulty connection feeding both grips or the controller. Either way, its getting colder and I'm getting frustrated. Never had a problem with the cheap tape on heaters I put on my KLR.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I got the OEM grips when I bought the bike and just now installed them since it's starting to get cold. I have not had a chance to use them on a ride because of all the dam rain but did fire up the bike in the garage to test they were working. They seem to work great right now. In the garage...:fineprint:

In order to stave off problems later...I sealed the switch with silicone to try and prevent water getting into it. I wrapped the connections as best I could with electrical tape. And I used 3M foil tape, the kind you use to seal duct work with, to wrap the left handle bar so the heat would reflect into my hand instead of sinking into the handlebar. I hope they last because they were not cheap, but if I would have done better research here (they seem to have lots of problems), I would have bought something else. But maybe I got a good pair???

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
My OEM grips get so hot on high I can fry an egg on them. I never run them more that 2 or 3 light settings. Two years no problems yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts