StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read in a few places that the OEM heated grip connector is not the best way to hook up heated grips. But I have not found a description of why this is the case.

I installed Oxford a Heated Grips directly to the battery last week while I waited for my connector to arrive from Eastern Beaver.

They work great but I planned on hooking them in via the OEM connector so they'd be on a keyed circuit.

So why is the OEM heated grip connector not the best way to hookup heated grips?

·
Registered
298 Posts
from what i know, the circuit turns off under certain RPM's.
Actually, the Oxford Heaterz are designed to shut themselves off below a certain voltage- although a bike running at idle (thus the low RPMs), may be below that threshold, and the grips would then shut off anyway.

I had a set of Heaterz on my (carburated) EX-500, and if the idle was set too low and/or the battery wasn't well charged, sometimes at at red lights or other stops, they would shut off. (Not sure if a fuel-injected bike is immune to this shut-down, just relating my experience.) I do like the feature, as it prevents the grips from totally draining your battery down to nothing if you forget to turn them off. But I prefer running them off a keyed circuit, rather than straight off the battery like I had to with the old Kawasaki. Which is why the heated grip connector/plug that Suzuki provides is so nice. No worries, and I'm still pleasantly surprised by all the nice little touches I've come across in the design of the V-Strom. And yes, Eastern Beaver for the win, plug 'n' play! :yesnod:

·
Registered
241 Posts
My bike came with the OEM heated grips and they work just fine at any RPM.

Rob

·
Registered
15,543 Posts
"Actually, the Oxford Heaterz are designed to shut themselves off below a certain voltage"

That may be true once the grips have drained the battery. Mine are connected directly to the battery and I've left them on and they do drain the battery after a while. I hate when that happens. I really need to get the plug wire and run a relay off the factory connector so the key will shut off the supply.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts