StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this issue has come up in the past, but I hope someone can help me. I am attempting to install OEM hadguards on a 2011 model. I have read that the bolt "E" was not long enough. I see why that is a problem, but the issue is more complicated. I compared the factory clutch pivot bolt to the replacement bolt and the bearing surface that the clutch pivots on is a different diameter leading to sloppy clutch movement. The problem is that when bolt "E" is threaded into the assembly, the correct diameter bearing survace is above the clutch area due to the threads ending. Is there a replacement bolt to cure this problem? If not, I have a set of OEM handguards to sell!

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
302 Posts
When I installed the handguard kit on my 2011, I ran into both of the problems you've mentioned. Regarding the clutch pivot sloppiness, you probably haven't seated the bolt far enough. I remember when I installed it, I was sure the bolt was in all the way. After fiddling, twisting, gently pushing, I got it past the shoulder and it seated further down in its proper position and the clutch lever felt fine after that.

Even if you do this, the bolt is still slightly too short. Some folks cut the spacer down. I chose to omit one of the nuts. According to the instructions, the sequence should be (from the top):

Washer -- spacer -- nut -- washer -- handguard -- washer -- nut

I left out the nut in red. The nut at the bottom is a fuji nut, so it's not going anywhere.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
What is the part number on the kit you received? 57300-27830-291 is the latest. The last two digits of the second number group run from 22-30 and all I've seen are even numbers. I don't know exactly where the breaks are but I think '09s and later need at least a 28. A change to the clutch lever switch system in '10 resulted in the first case of older guards not being able to fit correctly.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I did mine just last night and notice some play on the clutch lever also. About a 1/4 inch of up and down travel at the end of the lever with no side to side movement. I think I will get a small thin washer to act as a shim in the slot wnere the lever sits, that should correct the problem. No problem with the brake lever. I to have a 2011 and the kit # I put on is Part # 57300-27824-291.

·
38,104 Posts
57300-27824-291 is the wrong part. It is for the pre 2010 models with the smaller clutch switch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
correct part number for handguards?

While we are on the subject of hand guards I have a question or two.

What IS the correct part # for an 06DL650?

Will these work with heated grips and aftermarket bar ends?

Any suggestions as to where to order HG's from?

Thanks, Dale

·
38,104 Posts
Any of the part numbers given previously should work with an '06. You need the stock bar ends or at least something that will accept the piece the guard clips to. Heated grips need open ends and a 4-3/4" length is best.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My part number is 5300-27820-291. Huh, when I ordered the kit the description said for 2004-2011 models. This is rediculous. I ended up reducing the shaft diameter of the part next to the threaded portion, which allowed the unthreaded part to pass through the threaded portion of the clutch assembly. This allowed the correct bearing portion of the screw to fit correctly. The rest of the assembly went fine, after modifying the screw. Thanks all for the replies.

How come dealers don't know which part number to order?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts