StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question.
Are the OEM Handguards the same for the Vee and Wee?
The reason I ask is in the sale area, there are handguards for sale for a wee and not the vee.
The handguards on my 08 Wee came off the 08 Vee that was setting on the dealerships showroom floor. I watched the service guy take them off.
Did they rig up something on mine to make them work?
They have worked fine for about 3 years now.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The Vee has a hydraulic clutch and the Wee has a cable clutch. The attachment points for the left hand guard are totally different. See if the left side on yours looks like mine. Of course, yours won't have the hand grip heat controller knob on it.

The DL1000 left side looks like this if you ignore the added on flap.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The Vee OEM handguards are the best choice for the Wee. There are other Strom handguards for sale for the Wee that don't connect to both sides of the bar and don't offer as much coverage. Your guards should look like the ones below.

·
38,104 Posts
Only the 2002-3 Vee hand guards did not connect at both ends. Later models did.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks a lot like the Vee handguard in the picture, but the fastening screw/bolt is in a slight grove, rather than on a flat plain. I noticed the hole the clutch cable goes through have been enlarged (at least I think so, because it doesn't look like a factory finish)

·
38,104 Posts
The groove is present on the DL650 guard only. I've never before heard of anybody getting a DL1000 left guard onto a DL650 and it appears I still haven't.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Of course, yours won't have the hand grip heat controller knob on it.
[Threadjack] Greywolf -- I love the placement of the heat-troller (I'm assuming it's a Heat-troller by the looks of it) for the heated grips. I'll have to copy the idea when I get around to installing my heated grips in the fall. Did you have to modify the heat-troller or the hand guard to fit it in that position? [/Threadjack]

·
38,104 Posts
I wouldn't put it there again. The mirror stalk is right in the way. Hindsight is 20-20.

·
38,104 Posts
Ah, thanks. The other spot I was considering was the little plastic piece at the front edge of the tank. What do you think of that?
I have my second troller there. There is room for one on each side. It works fine there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The groove is present on the DL650 guard only. I've never before heard of anybody getting a DL1000 left guard onto a DL650 and it appears I still haven't.
I have an 09 Wee and went to my friendly Suzuki dealer and ordered (what I believed to be) stock Vee handguards, and they bolted right up. So if they're not compatible, what the heck do I have??

·
38,104 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts