StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer, this is not about me losing nut and rubber washer inside handlebars, already been through that when they were installed 2 years ago!! :thumbdown:

I lost one of the nuts that secures the bottom side of the plastic to the long mounting screw on the clutch-side handguard.

I believe it's #12 in the above diagram. Anyone know what the exact size it is, need to run down to Ace and pick up a couple and return my handguards to optimal secure-ness.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's an M6x1.0 nut with integral washer.

·
Registered
302 Posts
If I recall correctly, it's a prevailing torque nut. You can see a little metal insert in it which keeps it from backing off, like this:

You may or may not be able to find these at the local HW store. If not, a nylock nut should also work, or barring that put some blue locktite on there.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yes, it's a locknut...... "prevailing torque nut" ????? , wow. Evidently the available prevailing torque wasn't sufficient to hold it still. :green_lol:

Sandwiching the slotted hand guard with two oversized flat washers keeps from smashing the soft plastic. (Watch your size though, space is limited).

Dave

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It may be a Nylock nut. In any case, it's a type that stays in place with little torque.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts