StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everyone. I bought used new oem crash bars for my 2012 dl650a On an awesome price but the color is that gold one and I would like to repaint them black.

im
Looking if anyone knows what kind material the bars are made from so I can figure out what procedure to use for repaint ( sand paint etc. )
I’m not sure if the bars are steel or something else.
Can someone please confirm or and if someone have repaint what procedure the follow

thank you

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
As far as I know, the cash bars are normally steel. Do a magnet test. If it where me, I would test a small section with a rattle can spay (with the color of choice) over the existing paint, after first applying a degreaser or a light sand.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I agree with Gert above, imagine they are steel and likely painted. I have had good success with Duplicolor self-etching epoxy primer in a spray can. It bonds well to most clean surfaces and is not lifted by most coatings. Best, DD

·
Registered
292 Posts
I second this,
Duplicolor self-etching epoxy primer in a spray and Duplicolor.

Powder coat is a tougher coating but much harder to touch up if you ever use your engine guard.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Replace with Givi bars....😆 JUST kidding, really when I had mine and they needed touched up I took them off ruffed them up with 220- then 400 sand paper, wash with Dawn & water, shot them with rustoleum primer and simi or flat black, which I think now comes combo in the same can. Check your near by wally world. 👍

·
Registered
571 Posts
I had a pair powdercoated black if that helps :)
About how much did that cost. I am thinking of doing that also. Powder coat vs buying new Givi bars.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think mine were about £70 which included acid dipping to remove the old paint. I was told black satin hammerite paint (if it's called that in the US?) was a match for any touch-ups that I might need to do in the future.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey Alex what did you end up for your crash bars, inquiring minds want to know... ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good afternoon everyone. I bought used new oem crash bars for my 2012 dl650a On an awesome price but the color is that gold one and I would like to repaint them black.

im
Looking if anyone knows what kind material the bars are made from so I can figure out what procedure to use for repaint ( sand paint etc. )
I’m not sure if the bars are steel or something else.
Can someone please confirm or and if someone have repaint what procedure the follow

thank you
I had mine powdercoated and they turned out great

1 - 10 of 10 Posts