StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 13 Glee adv almost a year, just turning 6000 miles and the rear OEM tire is shot. This seems a little short lived to me. I doubt it will pass inspection next month for tag renewal. I have had good luck with Michelin tires. I do 99% street with the once in a while gravel/dirt road thats takes me to my fishing holes. What is a good long life tire? I am thinking the Michelin Anakee 3. I have heard they last and last.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've used Anakees once and they lasted the same as every other brand I've tried: 6-7k on the rear and 12k on the front and I don't ride particularly aggressively. Some say that the type of roads in your area will make a difference.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
I've used Anakees once and they lasted the same as every other brand I've tried: 6-7k on the rear and 12k on the front and I don't ride particularly aggressively. Some say that the type of roads in your area will make a difference.
I agree. No matter what tire I have tried, I get about the same mileage. And, this has been the case on my vstrom 650 and vstrom 1000. I do like the oem tires, and they are reasonably priced. No sense spending a lot more $$ on tires that will not get you a lot more miles.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apparently so, and this was a low year for me in miles. Normally I do about 15 k a year, this means about 2 rear and 1 front a year. Ill stick with the OEM if there is really no increase in wear mileage. Why spend the money? Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Truer words were never spoken! 2-3 riding seasons around Alaska, maybe 5-8000 miles total, and that's it...no matter the tire or brand!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I couldn't wait to get away from my oem. I wanted something that would hook-up better in the NC mountain roads. Also wanted something that made me feel confident when it was wet. I went to a PR3 and now a PR4. Both have been worth every penny.
If you are concerned about longevity then going to the dark side I hear is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
... I have had good luck with Michelin tires. I do 99% street with the once in a while gravel/dirt road thats takes me to my fishing holes. What is a good long life tire? I am thinking the Michelin Anakee 3. I have heard they last and last.
I've had all three Anakee versions (I, II, III) on my Wee and was generally pleased with all but treadweard (mileage) wasn't great so I switched to Michelin PR4s and my suggestion would be that you try them too, especially considering your 99% street riding (much like me). I know others, whose opinions I value, who have switched to PR4s. I think you can beat the tread life of OEM tires by using PR4s. It's also comforting to me to know that I'm riding on Michelins. I tend to believe I get what I pay for. My life is literally riding on those tires.

On OEMs I got mileage similar to what you report. Good luck regardless.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Which PR4 are you using? GT, Trail, regular? I didn't think the regular PR4 comes in a front tire size to fit 110/80 R19.
I took a quick look in the PR4 thread and found the following information from an earlier post of mine. This is what's on my Wee at present :

Pilot Road 4 Rear Tire: Standard 150/70ZR17 69W
Pilot Road 4 Front Tire: Trail: 110/80R19 59V

Another fellow in that same thread made this comment :

"...the size front for us is only available in the Trail, while the rear size is available in standard and Trail..."

He's probably right - I haven't had a need to take a look since I have nearly new tires on my bike now.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I've had my 13 Glee adv almost a year, just turning 6000 miles and the rear OEM tire is shot. This seems a little short lived to me. I doubt it will pass inspection next month for tag renewal. I have had good luck with Michelin tires. I do 99% street with the once in a while gravel/dirt road thats takes me to my fishing holes. What is a good long life tire? I am thinking the Michelin Anakee 3. I have heard they last and last.
I got the same out of my rear as you, I have a heavy right hand and I was very slack with my rear suspension.

I got very poor hook up on the rear in the dirt and just rode around the problem instead of fixing it, I think if I had fixed the hook up in the dirt I would have got better hook up on the road a few more miles from the rear tyre.

I have now fitted Anakee 3's and I love them, I can't see me getting anymore distance from them because they hook up so well on the black stuff and in the dirt, but they put a smile on my face so they will stay.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have 5600 miles on the OEM's on my 13 ADV, and I'm guessing I'll get another 3-4 k on the rear before it's done. Most of my rides are commuting with a 1k mile ride to the NC mountains earlier this fall. I'm not quite sure why you are having such short tread life with the OEM's. Now, when I was riding my FJR I felt good if I could get 7k on a set, and that only happened with Dunlop Roadsmarts.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just checked my OEM tires on my Glee.
Almost 4000 miles and they are like new.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I support the notion expressed by others already that terrain, speeds, braking (how much engine and how much application of front vs back brakes), and possibly even prevailing temperatures will determine tire wear and lifetime.

The Bridgestone OEM tires on my '12 DL650 lasted about 11,000 mi both front and back, and I probably could have squeezed another 500-700 mi on the lower end of the safety margin (of tread thickness). On those tires I was off road only a little, in really rough terrain, but my riding is dominated by LA freeways (you will have to infer what top speeds are here, based on SoCal driving styles that are rarely compliant with posted speed limits or any other kind of responsible driving).

I switched to Metzeler Tourance tires, on my second set of those now. The first set lasted just a bit longer than the Bridgestones (got about 12,250 mi), but I liked the handling much better as they wore, less front-end wobble. Curiously my tires always seem to wear equally between front and back.

You can find other threads here about the Metzeler's if interested.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I support the notion expressed by others already that terrain, speeds, braking (how much engine and how much application of front vs back brakes), and possibly even prevailing temperatures will determine tire wear and lifetime.
I agree and am somewhat surprised at how much mileage can vary between riders. I had an 08 Wee and got 12,000 miles on 3 sets of tires (trailwings/battlewings). On my 13 Glee I only got 9,300 on 1st set of trailwings, but pretty sure the decrease was due to a particularly nasty 20 mile stretch of road on my cross-country ride. I have not detected much difference for me on cross-country v local riding tire mileage.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Riding style will have a great impact in the whole bike, not only tires. Chains and brakes -both pads and rotors- suffer a lot when you ride aggressively.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Riding style will have a great impact in the whole bike, not only tires. Chains and brakes -both pads and rotors- suffer a lot when you ride aggressively.
That's for sure, and conversely if you ride on well-paved surface streets at grandma speeds then tires at least are likely to live longer than the rider.

I would not call myself an aggressive rider (not that you did either!) but I do like the sweet spot at ~7000 rpm in 6th (you can figure out how fast that is) when conditions allow, which is often. So I'm a little surprised my tires don't wear faster, and wonder why they wear as evenly as they do.

I think my braking style has a lot to do with the even wear. For normal decelerations and stops, I use the engine, very little back brake padding, and a little more on the front brakes. It feels very evenly distributed this way, just a feeling.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My oem tires lasted over 13,000 miles. The current Battlewings have close to 13,000 miles. I expect 15,000 or better out of them. Will replace with same.

·
Registered
195 Posts
13-15000 MILES ,,, How do you do it, i got 11300 klm thats around 7000 miles , out of front and rear . The rear was rooted and getting to the dangerous point , the front had a bit left , but not enough that i did'nt say you may has well do both of them .

I put Anakee 3's on , they seem to stick ok , but if i don't get substansial more mileage out of them . I'll go back to oem , like others said not worth paying the extra if you don't get better mileage , I was actually happy with the oem tyres , for the riding i do , on this bike thats hills and twistys , the occaasional dirt road .

I had never done dirt road riding before i got this bike , and have discovered that if i was going to do it often and enjoy it , i would nead a lighter dirt orientated bike

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with the Continental Trail Attack dual sport tires? I believe they are relatively new on the market. On looking at pictures do them, they look like they would be great on the street, but don't look to have much of a tread pattern for off pavement riding.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts