StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a warning I have the OEM bags offered by Suzuki and on a recent trip I stopped to take off my electric vest placed it into the side bag closed the bag and heard it click and off I went about 10-12 miles down the road a cager starts beeping his horn and pointing. The side bag came open and my vest was gone. Do Not trust the locking mechanism on the OEM bags, double and triple check them before taking off.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Wow, if/when I get my bags from Suzuki, I'll rig a safety so they can't fall open, till I figure out how to keep them safely closed.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I've found that they are very sensitive to having anything in the area of the latch on the inside. You really have to make sure that that area is clear.

Also, I've found that placing my leg against the bag and grabbing the bag frame and pulling while squeezing usually gets the bag to lock (if it doesn't, there is usually something in the way of the lock).

I'd probably put a cinch strap around the entire bag (top to bottom) and frame if I was going off pavement.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've had mine pop open a few times when I thought I heard it click. You can't bee to careful with them. Luckily I haven't had anything in them when they open, but it has happened. The few times it has I think it was due mostly to my carelessness, but be sure you check them.

And I will confirm pulling with hands against the racks and pushing with the knee helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I commute with my side bags on average of 80mph. I always seem to look to make they haven't popped open. When I latch them before leaving I always yank on the doors to make sure they are closed. So far no problems. I'll keep my eyes open though.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I'm thinking about adding a small plastic handle of some kind to all three bags. The top bag is equally difficult to unlatch when you have something in your hands. Be nice to have some kind of grip or affordance. Maybe a couple well-placed bungy buddies.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I commute regularly with mine and haven't had issues but I do double check them carefully after reading all the stories of them opening. The one time I caught one not secured, it was because some rain gear had jammed up the latch.
On longer trips I rigged up some custom length bungies that help stabilize luggage and hold the luggage closed too. Not pretty but it works.

·
Registered
15,409 Posts
I ran a strap around mine. I don't trust any manufacturers latches. Then new Sea Horses I have not see like a solid latching device but I put a pad lock through the available hole.
I've lost stuff too, some guys have lost whole bags, never to be found again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts