StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I did the install of the OEM cases on my dl1000k4. Here are some tips for those of you trying to save a few bucks by doing it your self:

1. The instructions stink! So, set some time aside for the install.
2. Use the rubber cover from the original luggage rack: The finish on my silver OEM rack was terrible under the rubber protector. So I drilled out the two rear holes through the rubber, and mounted the top rack over the rubber sheet. Then, I use a glue gun to glue the rubber down where it wrinkled up.
3. Expect to use a little force to put things together: The mounting hardware bows out a little. And extra hand helped to force things together.
4. I think I figured out (I think correctly) that you lose the original license mount: The plate mounts directly through the new plate/luggage bracket. You must line things up, and drill through the plastic. Add screws and washers, because there are not any that fit from the baggies.
5. I have no Idea what the 10 mm/10mm-long hex head screws are for: They were not listed in the parts list.

Feel free to e-mail me any questions. I am no expert mechanic, but I think my install turned out great. Good luck! Doug.

W

·
0 Posts
Sounds like you had the same experience I did when installing my OEM bags. Useless instructions and leftover bolts. I agree that it looks MUCH better with the rubber pad left in place. All in all, not a difficult install and (IMHO) a pretty good looking final product. BTW, the plastic inside the plate-mounting slots is VERY thin. You can actually just cut it out with a box knife.

Mods: I'm installing Hyperlights in the topcase where the Givi brake light kit would go, and I've already put SOLAS tape inside all of the reflectors. (Calling them reflectors is a bit optimistic, as they have NO reflective properties at all!) Now I'm thinking about relocating the truck back about 1-2 inches. It's just a little too far forward in the stock lacation. While I'm doing that, I may re-route the side supports that bolt ont the tail rack so that thae bolt to the muffler hangers. I think this would clean up the look a bit. I may also alter the racks so that the mount a bit closer to the bike.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oem bags

I was thinking about doing something with those "reflectors". I think they turned out great and are simple to use. The lids could be beefier, but I wasn't expecting BMW quality at $600.

I had seen in the gallery photos that there are racks the go onto the top case. Got any ideas? Also, the backrests are sold out, and I am #134 on the waiting list. Any help would be appreciated.

Great bike. 'Got to break it in a little yesterday. Very nice ride. Doug.

M

·
0 Posts
Re: oem bags

dchatfie said:
Also, the backrests are sold out, and I am #134 on the waiting list. Any help would be appreciated.
Your passenger could always get a protective motorcycle riding jacket with the spine protector padding, e.g. a Joe Rocket jacket. It could double as a comfortable backrest against a topcase :idea:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts