StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys,
Is the oem air filter reusable? It looks like it could be vacuumed out.
Any luck with k&n ?

·
Super Moderator
4,513 Posts
Sure a dusty filter can be cleaned. The most popular method is by using compressed air from the underneath, pushing the dirt off the dirty surface. Just check it afterward. Any rips or damage to the element - replace it.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
K&N or and gauze type filter are great at 2 things:

1. Flowing lots of air
2. Letting lots of fine particulate pass through

Vacuuming the OEM or an filter will successfully get the big chunks off but the filter medial will be impregnated with fine particulate. Hold the filter up to a light and if the light is fairly bright the filter is okay to keep going. If it dark and dingy time for a new one.

·
Premium Member
4,146 Posts
You could try vacuuming it but like @Brockie said the best method is compressed air from the underside. I just replace, at about $33 USD it's cheap insurance, but that's just me.

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
Why all the K&N bashing? If you don't like them don't use one, otherwise show some proof that its not effective. My 650 had one most of it 122K and I never saw a spec of anything on the inside (Under the filter) of the airbox. Cleaned at 20-25,000 mi. intervals.
Kith(Wera) had one on his 1000 that went well beyond 425K.
PS- Mine saw many a 1,000 mi. of dusty roads.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Why all the K&N bashing? If you don't like them don't use one, otherwise show some proof that its not effective. My 650 had one most of it 122K and I never saw a spec of anything on the inside (Under the filter) of the airbox. Cleaned at 20-25,000 mi. intervals.
Oiled filter left me by the side of the road. A normal filter will shed enough dust to still flow, oiled media causes dust to stick to it and clog. It is such a common issue that they sell wraps and prefilters for automotive filters to keep the fine dust away from the filter - unfortunately there is no way to fit one to most bikes.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
"Why all the K&N bashing? If you don't like them don't use one, otherwise show some proof that its not effective. My 650 had one most of it 122K and I never saw a spec of anything on the inside (Under the filter) of the airbox. Cleaned at 20-25,000 mi. intervals.

PS- Mine saw many a 1,000 mi. of dusty roads."

The OP asked about K&N's so we're telling him about them. Gauze high flow filter can flow more air becasue they have larger opening/gaps in the media. This means they can flow more air but filter less particulate from the air.

·
Super Moderator
16,237 Posts
I use the Hi-Flo filter over the OEM, they are practically indistinguishable from each other other than price. As for re-using filters, yes as already been said, I also take my air compressor and blow out from the bottom.....works like a charm. :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
I use K&N, have had no issues in off road or highway use. Do note that they make 2 filters, one for "race" use and the other for street use. The race does allow a bit more flow, not what I wanted for my Strom. Do not over oil them!

·
Registered
14,223 Posts
The race guys, mostly 4 wheelers mount the air intake up high so get the intake out of the dust storm they drive through or generate themselves. Decades ago a friend was recommending the K$N due to its use by racers in the Baja 1000. Seems as it loads up a bit the filtering becomes more effective. When i got one for my Jeep I seem to remember it was supposed to be good for a million miles and had a clean and re-oil interval of 50 K miles.
For most of us we aren't going to see the kinda of dust that will really test even the factory filter....if you put some window screen over the inlet to keep the bugs out...for many 10's of thousands of miles. I pull mine out every year or two and whack it on the ground and knock out the big chunks then use the compressed air. Bike still runs fine at 100K miles and I haven't replaced the OEM filter in years.
Of course I'm wrong but some folks get too excited . Much ado about nothing as Willy Shakespeare said.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have used K&N air filters in a few vehicles and bikes over the years. I've never had a problem. In fact, I really think the vast majority of ststed problems are down to one thing - over oiling. They are not supposed to be WET.

Just my opinion about the over oiling...

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
The race guys, mostly 4 wheelers mount the air intake up high so get the intake out of the dust storm they drive through or generate themselves. Decades ago a friend was recommending the K$N due to its use by racers in the Baja 1000. Seems as it loads up a bit the filtering becomes more effective. When i got one for my Jeep I seem to remember it was supposed to be good for a million miles and had a clean and re-oil interval of 50 K miles.
For most of us we aren't going to see the kinda of dust that will really test even the factory filter....if you put some window screen over the inlet to keep the bugs out...for many 10's of thousands of miles. I pull mine out every year or two and whack it on the ground and knock out the big chunks then use the compressed air. Bike still runs fine at 100K miles and I haven't replaced the OEM filter in years.
Of course I'm wrong but some folks get too excited . Much ado about nothing as Willy Shakespeare said.
K&N had/has a million mile warranty. They need to be maintained in between.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I use the OEM filter in my Strom, change it about every 20-25K miles, it probably has more life in it. I've also tried blowing it with air. I check it every Spring to see if it needs replacement, but more to see if mice have moved into the air box over the winter.

I've had a K&N in my Harley for the past 30+ years (206K miles) and no issues. I clean it about every 10K miles.

The K&N site gives info on when to clean. Was surprised that they recommend running it until it's FILTHY, if the screen is completely covered with dirt it may be time to clean. As Notacop mentioned, I've heard they filter better if they're a little dirty.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
This does not proved K&N are not effective. It does show K&N do not filter as well.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts