StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a complete kit of Suzuki side cases to put on another bike that already has a SW Motech rack on it.

So I will be left over with the racks for the bike that I am selling and I been getting a few questions.

Is the OEM rack the same rack you can buy from SW Motech or did they make it differently for Suzuki?

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I bought a complete kit of Suzuki side cases to put on another bike that already has a SW Motech rack on it.

So I will be left over with the racks for the bike that I am selling and I been getting a few questions.

Is the OEM rack the same rack you can buy from SW Motech or did they make it differently for Suzuki?
I believe the side racks are standard SWMoto products, in that they use the available same mounting brackets and are set up to accept all standard luggage. I know they will accept the Givi monokey mounting kit. The OEM racks I think were modified to add the mounts for the suzuki specific pannier locking latch and the Reflector relocation tabs. But I have not seen a standard SWMotech set up to do a side by side comparison.

·
Registered
358 Posts
That's what they did to the Suzuki branded SW Motech Trax top box.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is kind of a dick move on their part. Ill see when i get it together with the bike.

I guess I should have researched it better before buying.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I don't know for certain, but the top rack was definitely spec'd to the proprietary Suzuki luggage. I also spoke with a Twisted Throttle rep recently. He said the Suzuki stuff was a custom order and built to a price point. The implication being the factory crash bars are made of different material and not as good as the normal SWMotech offerings. I don't think the diff is that big and the OEM package is serving me fine after I made an adapter for my Givi top case.

·
Registered
20 Posts
For the side cases:

Racks are near the same, but not equal.

Suzuki rack is wider, in order to avoid relocating the blinkers.

With SW-Motech is mandatory to move them because the Trax cases will fold them. I'm not sure but I think if you don't relocate the blinkers the cases won't attach to the panniers.

Attachment points are sightly different between the two racks. SW-Motech mounts under the handles for the passenger. Suzuki rack must be mounted over the same rack.

Apart from that, you can use Suzuki Boxes in any of those two racks. Trax cases and Suzuki OEM cases are the same, they just rebranded them. Because of this, boxes are fully compatible.

I hope you can understand my not-so-good english. :thumbup:

·
Registered
232 Posts
For the side cases:

With SW-Motech is mandatory to move them because the Trax cases will fold them. I'm not sure but I think if you don't relocate the blinkers the cases won't attach to the panniers.

Attachment points are sightly different between the two racks. SW-Motech mounts under the handles for the passenger. Suzuki rack must be mounted over the same rack.

Apart from that, you can use Suzuki Boxes in any of those two racks. Trax cases and Suzuki OEM cases are the same, they just rebranded them. Because of this, boxes are fully compatible.

Can you use Trax boxes on the Suzuki rack?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For the side cases:

Thank you!

Thi8s is the answer I was hoping for.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Good info.....thanks.

I have a sw-motech tail rack with Trax top case on my 08 and my 13 came with a Suzuki tail rack. I ordered the adapter kit from Suzuki for their branded top case as it's cheaper than buying a new rack with the hope they didn't modify the bottom plate on the top case.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
358 Posts
Sorry, they did. However it can be modified to work and the modification doesn't look too difficult. There is a thread here somewhere that has instructions and pics on that.

·
Registered
358 Posts
That's a shame, I like the OEM rack. Maybe someone close by that's more mechanically inclined could help you out with the mod since you already ordered the hardware kit. The mod really did look pretty easy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the buyer for my OEM rack fell thru so if you need one lmk I have mine I cant use on my versys for sale.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Good info.....thanks.

I have a sw-motech tail rack with Trax top case on my 08 and my 13 came with a Suzuki tail rack. I ordered the adapter kit from Suzuki for their branded top case as it's cheaper than buying a new rack with the hope they didn't modify the bottom plate on the top case.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Minor modification necessary.
http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2012/94482-mounting-non-oem-trax-box-oem-mounting-plate.html

As far as the original question goes, I was wondering the same thing:
http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2012/150041-sw-motech-trax-evo-panniers-oem-adventure-racks.html

1 - 20 of 22 Posts