StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed occasionally when I use the rear brake to stop over speeds of 30mph, sometimes when I press the rear brake there is a single knock coming from somewhere. It sounds like "toc" and will only do it the one time that rear brake is pressed. It will not do it all the time. No clue on what it can be.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Here's the rear caliper and swingarm diagrams. The lower left part of the #11 casting in figure 83 needs to fit into the receiver just forward of the axle slot on the swingarm in figure 80. If the two parts are not properly keyed together, #11 can rotate around the axle and click against something upon application of the brake.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have noticed occasionally when I use the rear brake to stop over speeds of 30mph, sometimes when I press the rear brake there is a single knock coming from somewhere. It sounds like "toc" and will only do it the one time that rear brake is pressed. It will not do it all the time. No clue on what it can be.
Mine does the same (rarely to occasionally)!!! Have been thinking about looking into it. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took the bike to the suzuki dealer, they called me and said its normal. I did not quite understand the reason as to why it clicks. Any ideas?

I've had a close look and. Annot find anything wrong with it. Any else having the same problems?

I know it did not do it before.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I get the same thing, and I never really noticed it before either. You could take the rear wheel off again and make sure you get everything back together perfectly, but as others have said, that's not going to be a tight tolerance fit, otherwise you wouldn't be able to slide it in place very easily.

·
Registered
528 Posts
mine does the same thing occasionally. I finally figured out the cause by closely watching what was happening when brake applied on centerstand and also walking along side the bike while activating brake. Since it only happened when applying the rear brake, i assumed it was coming from there. But It was actually coming from the front sprocket. I keep my chain on the loose side and what was happening was the rear wheel was stopping (a fraction of a second) before the chain and countershaft because of the slack. The clunk was from the chain tightening against the countershaft sprocket, kind of slamming it to an abrupt stop.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have this issue and am pursuing Suzuki to see if this is a design issue or I have a missing part.

There is a channel on the inside of the swing arm that holds/controls the rear brake caliper mounting bracket from spinning up/down but allows the bracket to move fore/aft when adjusting the wheel. There is at least 1.2mm space between the mounting bracket lower block and the swing arm channel. When you back up and apply rear brake, the bracket will ride on the inside high side of the channel. When you then apply rear brake moving forward, it will snap down and cause a knock like someone hit your swing arm or frame with a hammer. I verified this by putting it up on the center stand and spinning the rear backwards, then applying rear brake. It moved up and made the click/snap/knock. I then spun the wheel forward, applied rear brake, and it snapped down. I then spun the wheel forward again, applied rear brake, and it was quiet. I then inserted 1.2mm of feeler gauge strip in the channel, and it was quiet both ways. This is repeatable. I have pics but am using mobile which doesn't seem to have a pic post.

Thoughts?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Backing up and applying the rear brake is an unusual move. Doing so can do what you describe. Most people will use both feet to back up a bike and use the front brake to stop it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Agreed, but now I know where the noise is. I have had all my bikes on a dolly in the garage and when I back it off, I've just used the rear brake to stop as a matter of habit. My last bike ('07 Bandit) had the exact same design and did not make this noise. It happens as well on inclines when I use the rear brake while clutching/throttling to move forward and uphil.

Good news....at least I know now where this clunk is come from. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So when I left the dealership, it did not make the sound. In fact I just rode 700 miles and it did not do it once???

·
Registered
103 Posts
I heard a funny noise coming from the rear once while applying the rear brake. It happened while riding offroad, swinging that rear out. Once my wife fell off the pillion the noise was gone. :D

·
Vendor
4,656 Posts
PhilS14,

I was thinking the same thing. Seems like a real possibility that would make the noise "normal." If I were the OP I would definitely check for proper engagement of the brake in the slot. Too easy to do and consequences potentially too bad not to check.

Rick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts