StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front PR4 odd wear. Only on the right (starboard) side. I don't remember the mileage, but it accelerated downhill quickly after putting on 1100 miles on it last week. The lack of chicken strips on either side might indicate an even wear, but the tread does not. The rear shinko is wearing evenly, the bike tracks straight and even with no hands on the bars, the wheel bearings turn smoothly by hand and have no side movement. Many years ago I have had premature left (port) side wear, presumably from road crown, but have never experienced this, perhaps some of you have? And no, I don't work for UPS :smile2:
'09 1000. 58K ish miles.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Mine did the same but I replaced it before it got that bad. Even with the cupping it went 22,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine did the same but I replaced it before it got that bad. Even with the cupping it went 22,000 miles.
The left side is beginning to cup, but the right just wore down. Do you remember which side wore down prematurely?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,341 Posts
Two things come to mind. One is the rear wheel alignment. While it may be perfect by the marks on the swingarm, are they exactly correct? Second is do you carry a load on one side of the bike all the time? Like rain gear, tools, chain lube? That could have an effect. But I do agree that wear on the right side is unusual in the "drive on the right side of the road". Maybe you have a favorite right hand turn you like to go hard into every ride! Still, as much as this tire is worn down it could be a lot worse.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two things come to mind. One is the rear wheel alignment. While it may be perfect by the marks on the swingarm, are they exactly correct? Second is do you carry a load on one side of the bike all the time? Like rain gear, tools, chain lube? That could have an effect. But I do agree that wear on the right side is unusual in the "drive on the right side of the road". Maybe you have a favorite right hand turn you like to go hard into every ride! Still, as much as this tire is worn down it could be a lot worse.
I've only run a top case about 95% of the time since installing the PR4. I also align the chain by eyeballing between sprockets as opposed to using the swing arm marks but will check that again. My rear tire is wearing evenly and the bike does track straight with Hands off the bars, but body position can alter that.
The wheel is off and I will see what my tire installer (that's all he does) thinks today.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this is probably the most informative website about motorcycle tire wear

Motorcycle Tire Wear

btw, left side wear is NOT from road crown, a common misconception
While the writer utilizes some sound applied physics principals, many of his implied input data and resulting hypotenuses are way off. His theories coupled with other possibilities may have some merit though.
I don't necessarily buy into the prevailing theory of road crown either, and although apparently more prevalent, I've only had one or two bias fronts with significant left side wear in 45 years of riding. Still a good read though.
And nothing as of yet explains my right side wear. Tire guy had never seen it either.

·
Registered
22,279 Posts
And nothing as of yet explains my right side wear.
so, you haven't spent much time recently riding on the wrong side of the road, or in countries thar drive on the left side of the road

on a single track vehicle, I don't see how alignment could bias the wear that much, my thinking is more on the lines of a defective tire from new, are they multi compound tires ?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so, you haven't spent much time recently riding on the wrong side of the road, or in countries thar drive on the left side of the road

on a single track vehicle, I don't see how alignment could bias the wear that much, my thinking is more on the lines of a defective tire from new, are they multi compound tires ?
That's my thinking at the moment. Just put a tourance next on and handling is much better as expected. If it starts wearing mostly on the right, I'll assume it's rider error or mechanical. If not I'll hold to our defective theory.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,341 Posts
PR4's are not getting the good reviews that the previous generation Michelin Pilot Road series have gotten. Front tire is not wearing a evenly and rear tires not delivering mileage. It is uncommon to see the right side worn like that. Could it be the soft compound maybe came too close to center on that side? I think the fronts are dual compound, but too lazy to go check while posting......

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PR4's are not getting the good reviews that the previous generation Michelin Pilot Road series have gotten. Front tire is not wearing a evenly and rear tires not delivering mileage. It is uncommon to see the right side worn like that. Could it be the soft compound maybe came too close to center on that side? I think the fronts are dual compound, but too lazy to go check while posting......
That's ashame to hear, I had good luck with the PR3's on other bikes
From their web site:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts