StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on a road trip with Salt Lake City being one of the destination. Bike has been running brilliantly.

Later in the day today it started acting like it was out of gas or had bad gas. It was bogging down as the throttle opened and power usually resumed when I backed off the throttle, no warning lights. I stopped at a Chevron station and put in 2.85 gallons of 91. It started up fine and I had about a 20 mile run to my destination, mainly in the interstate and it ran fine with no repeat issues so far.

More detailed story:

Last night, at the end of the day I filled up my tank at a Shell station (using the top octane they have 91) before packing it in for the day. It was coolish compared to the rest of the day, I think down into the lower 60's. Google says the altitude there is 6,749 feet. Google says Salt Lake City's elevation is 4.226 feet.

I wanted to be in Salt Lake City in the mid afternoon today so did a nice relaxing ride down highway 150 into the mountains and then did another road up into the mountains. I think both times got me up over 10,000 feet. When I came out if the mountains it got a lot hotter. My thermometer was showing temperatures into the low 90's, I think it was into the low 50's or maybe upper 40's at altitude. After I left the are and reached the outskirts of Salt Lake City I stopped at a Wendy"s for a bite. I parked the in the sun. When I left there it ran fine for a bit and then bogged a bit. It did the several times and usually after letting off the throttle or turning off the ignition it ran fine. I think it also stalled once or twice when I pulled in the clutch lever. After it was filled the issues did not return.

Other things that might be relevant:

-I have not checked battery terminals yet but it doesn't sound electrical in nature

-my sidestand has been lettting my bike lean way more than it should. I need to do something about that but hopefully it works until I get home.

- bike has 113,817 miles / 183,170 km

I'm thinking it has been something to do with the bike getting very hot when parked building pressure in the tank causing issues (I didn't hear any sound of pressure escaping but helmet and earplugs were on.). I leave here Friday noonish and won't have a chance to look at the bike until then.

Thoughts?

..Tom

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the classic symptoms off a clogged HP fuel filter...
I thought so although it didn't return after refueling and it happened quickly after the stop.

..Tom

·
Registered
57 Posts
Might it be a clogged charcoal canister for the fuel vent system? I've seen cars get fuel starvation due to the tank drawing into a vacuum as the fuel level decreases. This could be compounded by an atmospheric pressure change too.

Maybe try popping the fuel cap next time it happens and listen for it sharply drawing air in as the seal breaks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I think you would be the first I read about with a partially plugged fuel filter on a V2.

OR maybe the pump itself is getting weak. Sounds like more fuel head pressure (full tank) = more fuel flow?

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I thought so although it didn't return after refueling and it happened quickly after the stop.

..Tom
Good point Tom. Typically when the filter is clogged the symptoms should be persistent. You can always do what I do when something intermittent pops up, keep riding until the problem persists.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Might it be a clogged charcoal canister for the fuel vent system? I've seen cars get fuel starvation due to the tank drawing into a vacuum as the fuel level decreases. This could be compounded by an atmospheric pressure change too.

Maybe try popping the fuel cap next time it happens and listen for it sharply drawing air in as the seal breaks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Now that you mention it there was something like what you were describing on first gen DL1000's (or was it DL650's?), I think with California emissions. Sitting in the sun they would get too much pressure build up and caused issues. Don't really recall what the issues were though.

The scenario around my issue sounds similar though.

..Tom

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you would be the first I read about with a partially plugged fuel filter on a V2.

OR maybe the pump itself is getting weak. Sounds like more fuel head pressure (full tank) = more fuel flow?
A failing pump could cause the issues but why would it seem to be fine after refueling? I was thinking the pressure difference between were I filled last night and today couldn't be that much. The ambient temperature increase, the sun's heating the tank and the engine heat would all tend to increase the pressure in the tank. Bogging on increasing throttle would normally point to a less gas but could the emissions system cause more gas to get into the intake? (does a Canadian DL1000 have a charcoal canister?)

..Tom

·
Registered
252 Posts
Higher octane gas burns slower ... at those elevations I would run with the lowest octane available. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
A failing pump could cause the issues but why would it seem to be fine after refueling? I was thinking the pressure difference between were I filled last night and today couldn't be that much. The ambient temperature increase, the sun's heating the tank and the engine heat would all tend to increase the pressure in the tank. Bogging on increasing throttle would normally point to a less gas but could the emissions system cause more gas to get into the intake? (does a Canadian DL1000 have a charcoal canister?)

..Tom
If it has you would have a large cylinder under your rear seat. Have you?

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it has you would have a large cylinder under your rear seat. Have you?
No, at least if you mean in that storage space directly under the seat.

Thanks,

..Tom

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Higher octane gas burns slower ... at those elevations I would run with the lowest octane available. Just a thought.
I don't know that that's true as my DL1000 ran fine last year when I went up Pikes Peak and hit 14,000+ km

Besides the issue happened when I was at the lowest altitude today and maybe the last few days.

..Tom

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,188 Posts
Parking in the sun, especially after fueling and if like me squeezing the last to drops in when on the road, will cause the fuel to expand and some will get into the evaporative canister. I assume your bike has one. I have had it happen on the first RT I had where I modified the filler neck to squeeze in more fuel. Hot engine and/or parking in the sun caused it more than once. Similar symptoms.

That canister is meant to absorb vapors, then allow them to be drawn back into the engine as you drive. Get liquid in there and it can suck that back in instead of vapor which would cause stumbling and stalling.

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Clutch Lever Switch

V-Tom, There is a strong chance that you have a clutch lever switch issue. This is a known issue (by folks who have had it) but not known by every Suzi dealers. I went through this and I called it "limp mode" https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a-2014-2016/422061-limp-mode-secondary-throttle-valve-actuator-c28-c65.html

The V2+ bikes share ECU DNA with the GSXR bikes. The first test is: With the side stand up will the bike start without the clutch lever pulled in. I never noticed that my bike would because I just never tried to start the bike that way. That is not the only test but it is a "litmus" test.

Sometimes the wire is broken, other times the switch is just dirty or misaligned. Very simple to remove / replace.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
A failing pump could cause the issues but why would it seem to be fine after refueling?

..Tom
Could the speed at which you filled the tank moved crud away form the pump screen ??

Are your throttle bodies butterfly's moving freely ?

I was thinking I was getting some fuelling issues, while looking things over I lubricated the throttle bodies and all my concerns disappeared.

I'm not convinced I did anything but things are better now.

I'm always concerned about my fuel pump, I'm always expecting it to give up, it has been run dry quite a few times but except for a bad dose of fuel it has never let me down.

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Could the speed at which you filled the tank moved crud away form the pump screen ??

Are your throttle bodies butterfly's moving freely ?

I was thinking I was getting some fueling issues, while looking things over I lubricated the throttle bodies and all my concerns disappeared.

I'm not convinced I did anything but things are better now.

I'm always concerned about my fuel pump, I'm always expecting it to give up, it has been run dry quite a few times but except for a bad dose of fuel it has never let me down.
Well the issue returned again today. This is the first time I rode it nice posting about it (have been in training with work.)

It ran fine for a while (something like 60 miles) and the temperature was in the upper 90’s and then it started doing the same thing. I stopped for a short break and the problems stopped.

I rode a bit then gassed it and added some fuel-injector cleaner. I didn’t ride enough after that for the issues to happen but when it does happen backing off the throttle and/or shutting the engine off for a few seconds seem to give temporary relief. I’m working with the theory that it was some bad gas and hoping the fuel injector cleaner might help out.

I sure hope it’s isn't a fuel pump as I’m a long way from home. I have an 800 mile day tomorrow and hope it gets better.

..Tom

1 - 20 of 25 Posts