Strom Trooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I rode my V-Strom to work and back. On the way home I stopped at the gas station and the bike stopped and started fine, then I went to a grocery store and it started okay but as soon as I left the gauges were cycling on and off like the bike had just been started. It did this continually. I rode it about a quarter-mile and it was losing power and the display on the center dash would go out and the engine quit. I cycled the ignition switch and the display stayed off. Then I removed the seat and just barely touched the battery contacts. They were good and tight. When I next turned the ignition back on the bike cranked slowly. After doing it again 2 times it was back to normal and I was able to ride it home 5 miles without issue. Later in the evening I put the battery on a charger and it was fully charged. I rode it around the block a few times and started and stopped the bike about 5 times. It had no issue. Any ideas what's going on? Does this sound like a bad ignition switch or wiring? Would a stator going out act like this? When running the voltage reading is 14.0 volts.

The bike is a 2011 650 with 29000 miles.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
The 14V shows that the charging system appears to be working correctly. It could be that your battery is on it's way out. How old is the battery? It is a pity that you can't reproduce the fault so that you can trouble shoot it correctly. As a preventive measure, I would suggest that you inspect the two main connectors, one the top the radiator plus the big connector on the left hand side. Then for added measure, check on the earth connection. These connectors have been known to cause strange electrical faults. Have you read www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-dl650a-2004-2011/427047-electrical-problems.html?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I would clean up the battery terminals and connections, retighten, and spray them with an anticorrosive. Load test the battery too. I do this every oil change.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I rode it a couple times over the weekend after tightening the battery contacts. It didn't seem to have the issue. I'll have to ride it a but further and see if it returns.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts