StromTrooper banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Occasionally - maybe 3-4 times in the 10 month life of this '21 Wee with just under 4k miles - I get a single loud "clack" or "clunk" on cranking. Fires right up, regardless, and no runnability problems. It doesn't seem to correlate with cold or warm starts (I think I've heard it happen in both cases). The last time, it was at a gas station, definitely a warm engine; cranked just briefly, then "clack", then ran normally. I don't put the bike in neutral at such stops, so this would have been first gear with the clutch pulled in; however, I'm pretty sure it has happened in neutral as well (because on a cold start, that's where it would be). I can't tell where the noise is coming from.

I know that's not much to go on, but just thought I'd ask. It's so infrequent that I have not been able to capture an audio sample.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
9,786 Posts
It is not good practice to start the engine in gear. Especially when cold. The V-Stroms habit of clunking when first put into gear while cold should be a warning that it takes some effort to break that initial stiction between clutch plates and pressure plates.
It also places added load on the starter and battery.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Does the clack occur immediately when thumbing the start button? e.g.:
Font Rectangle Electric blue Triangle Logo
RrrRrrRrr-puttaputtaputta....

If so, it could be that the starter solenoid is not engaging the starter gear fully before the starter motor begins to turn.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I always start in neutral.
And, I read this outload in my office this morning. Good for a chuckle
Font Midnight Sky Darkness Brand

Reminds me of the time on the Yamaha Bolt forums. Someone asked "we have no tach, how do you know when to shift". I replied " 1st gear waaaaaaaaa, 2nd gear waaaaaaaaaa, 3rd gear waaaaaaa etc...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Possibly, as you are starting the bike you might slightly briefly release the starter button. This would result in the starter stopping and then reengaging. This could result in a clacking sound.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Possibly, as you are starting the bike you might slightly briefly release the starter button. This would result in the starter stopping and then reengaging. This could result in a clacking sound.

Mike
This generation 'Strom has the so-called "easy start" feature, which allows me to just tap the starter and let it do the rest. So there might be a thing there. I'm not sure how or for how long I pressed it on that last occasion, but on cold starts, it's always in neutral and I just tap it.

The previous suggestion about the starter solenoid seems plausible, in general. @Motorpsychology, the clack occurs at the end of the crank, as it fires - when I'd expect the solenoid to be disengaging.

Thanks for the ideas - I'll monitor it and, if it ever happens again, document exactly how I started it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts