StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife on a her Wee, me on my Vee.

Day One - Irvine to Hwy 74 (Ortega) on I-5. Then Hwy 74 all the way to Palm Desert. This stretch included the Pines to Palms twisties which is a lot of fun. Not a long day, but terrain from the coast to a mile high in the San Jacinto mountains and then down to the desert.
Day Two - South toward the Salton Sea and left at the little town of Mecca. Through Box Canyon, then through Joshua Tree National Park and the on to Mojave National Preserve. Lunch at Kelso Station (restored rail station in the middle of no where with huge trains rumbling through). Then through Baker and on to Tecopa Hot Springs for the night. Tecopa Hot Springs is a very unique place. Kind of a typical desert dive, but with a twist - The Bistro. The Bistro is a little food place with a world class chef (no lie) doing his thing out of the big city dining scene. Very exceptional food at a very reasonable price. Worth the trip all by itself.
Day Three - Into Death Valley National Park and then into Nevada for a trip down Titus Canyon. You can Google it for much better pictures than I took. It is a 25 mile one way dirt/rock/gravel road climbing and dropping through some incredible country and ending in about 5 miles of road through a one lane wide vertical walled canyon. The gravel was a bit sketchy for a 500 plus pound bikes (at least with our talent level) and we both ate it a time or two. Not fun to bite it but if your not laying down once in a while you aren't pushing hard enough (ha ha, that's BS - it still hurts, it isn't fun and the bikes are heavy to get off the ground especially on a hilly gravel road). On to Panamint Springs for the night where they feature well over a hundred different beers from all over the world in a little desert bar. Again a small place - very friendly and very good cold beer at just the right time.
Day Four - Back home through Panamint Valley, Searles, Randsburg and then the 15 Fwy to home.

Best part was four days on the road in Southern California with next to NO freeway time. In some places no cars for hours. Great food and we met some interesting people. A lot of travelers from Europe and Asia which surprised us because we weren't exactly where you would expect tourists.

Fun trip!

·
Registered
386 Posts
No pics = didn't happen! POST UP!

:worthless:

·
Registered
15,411 Posts
I know exactly where you was and don't need no stinking pics to show me of how great your trip was! I remember Kelso in the 60's and 70's before the Govt took the desert away from the citizens. The huge Cottonwood trees shading the place. When the snack bar was open for real.
You took a great circuit through the desert.:yesnod:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts