StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In my neck of the woods, the DL650/ABS is actually a little more expensive out the door than the DL1000, so deciding between the two has become a little more difficult. In reading the DL1000 forums, I notice that there are several stickys regarding PCIII tuning, throttle body syncs and spacer kits.
Am I to assume that the DL1000 needs more tuning/tweaking out of the box than the DL 650? And how much $$$ does that add to the bottom line?
Thanks for the input

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
I'm pretty surprised the 1000 is cheaper. The 1000 was 8900 and the 650 was 6600 when I bought my non abs last november. You might as well get the one that's cheaper you can't go wrong w/ either. You might have to tune the 1000 a little, but I put a pc3 on my 650 and it's very easy to install.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am guessing right around $600 for a Power Commander, and the labor for an install and TB Sync. Less, if you are inclined to do it yourself.

But, then you have a bike that is smooth and strong. Plus, you can tune for mileage, or put the power where you want it.

If you like to tinker, you can sample different tunes. If you like Hp and tone, add some pipes and wick it up. I'm getting 97 Hp out of mine with a set of Two Brothers pipes... and well over 40 mpg at a sporting pace.

I rode with a couple of Wee's over the weekend. They can definately hold their own if ridden properly, but I like the pull of a big bore and I don't think it's really costing me anything to have it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty surprised the 1000 is cheaper. The 1000 was 8900 and the 650 was 6600 when I bought my non abs last november. You might as well get the one that's cheaper you can't go wrong w/ either. You might have to tune the 1000 a little, but I put a pc3 on my 650 and it's very easy to install.
I was surprised too, the DL1000 is 8999 OTD and the DL 650/ABS is 8425+Tax/Lic. I don't know what the charge for Lic, but tax is 8.25% and that already puts the price at 9120. With a little work, I could probably get the price down a bit, but I would still be in the ballpark of the DL1000

·
Registered
78 Posts
The problem with your price comparo, is that you are leaving the cost of ABS totally out of the equation.

What is that worth to you?

Perhaps you should use the argument of standard Wee vs. ABS Wee first, then go from there to compare it against the 1k.

Some see the ABS option as a non-issue, others would consider it priceless.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The problem with your price comparo, is that you are leaving the cost of ABS totally out of the equation.

What is that worth to you?

Perhaps you should use the argument of standard Wee vs. ABS Wee first, then go from there to compare it against the 1k.

Some see the ABS option as a non-issue, others would consider it priceless.
For me, the difference between the non abs 650 and the 1000 comes down to price vs. power. And in that case, I'll take power over price. However, between the 650abs and the 1000 it comes down to abs vs. power, and for me, that's a more difficult choice. That's why I asked about the differences in out of the box tuning.
Show me a DL1000/ABS and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yup. ABS vs. Power. Sounds like you hit it right on the head.

It's like buying more speed parts vs. more insurance. You know what you want, but you know what is smart. That's a tough one.

I can't remember the last time I have accidentally locked a wheel, but I can remember how quickly that Wee disappeared in my mirror on this weekends ride when we went for it. :devil_26:

But that's just me.

If you are experienced and confident in your abilities, you may go power over insurance.

But, one time I helped a guy pick up his brand new Non-ABS FJR1300. He was riding through a residential area, getting back on a (big) bike after a 10 year break and had a stupid cat dart out in front of him. He panicked and locked the front, and pancaked it. No injuries, bike probably cosmetically totalled.

I bet he wish he had spent the extra $1500 at the time, to get the ABS.

And no doubt about the ABS on the 1k. That never has made sense to me, why they don't offer it on the larger bike????

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now that you mention insurance, is there a substantial difference between the two bikes? And if so, is that due to engine size, or do they factor in ABS in the equation?
It sounds like I'll be calling my Ins Co today to find out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It is my understanding that displacement is the determining factor. I have yet to see an discount based on a bike being equipped with ABS.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is my understanding that displacement is the determining factor. I have yet to see an discount based on a bike being equipped with ABS.
Well. I just got off the phone with my Ins Co. and the price difference between the 650 and the 1000 is about $440Yr. In my book, that's pretty substantial. Currently the price differences are strictly based on displacement, however, in some states they do factor in ABS into the equation, just not in Calif, but they're working on it. When they factor ABS into the policy, I would save an additional 10%.

This info may have just made my decision much easier.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Makes good sense and a strong argument for the 650 w/ABS.

Still, not enough to talk me into a standard 650. The cost + ABS is hard to argue against.

Just remember, passing a DL1000 on an uphill with that 650 will now just be made even tougher, considering all the extra weight of that cash you'll be carrying around in your wallet. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts