StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone bought tyres from usa:patriot: here and how did it rate to buyin in oz

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I've seen it done on car forums and it has saved considerable money. The main problem is that you need to be 100% on the freight charge. Often the freight price quoted on the web site spirals up when the seller finds the real cost od shipping to Australia.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I got my last set of Anakee 2s from Rocky Mountain couple months ago

US$279 (high speed V rating)
+US$65 shipping
+AU$50 fitting
-----------------
Total $394

compared to $460-480 here.

Their Int Shipping Rates HERE. Interestingly, costs $65 for one set, $47 per set if you order 2, but after that the cost per set goes up! A third set would = $90 per set.

I got a couple genuine Suzuki oil filters for $10 thrown in for same freight charge.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have just ordered Michelin Pilot Road 3 110/80R19 59V and 150/70ZR17 69W for US$351 (about AU$345) including freight yesterday from Jake Wilson
I expect to pay $35 each to get them fitted

The same tyres here were quoted at AU$492 including fitting.
I would have purchased them here but Wayne Gardiner Enterprises did not seem interested in ordering the 19 inch fronts
(and told me they would be 4 weeks when they did order them)

Jake Wilson and Rocky Mountain are two halves of the same company
Ignore the bit that says they will not ship tires internationally, they do.
However, the Oz distributors for Pirelli and Metzeler have nobbled them and they will no longer ship these brands internationally

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
It takes about two seconds on Google to find a freight forwarder in the USA who will accept the goods from the US company then send them on to Australia.

·
Registered
254 Posts
It takes about two seconds on Google to find a freight forwarder in the USA who will accept the goods from the US company then send them on to Australia.
Jake Wilson/Rocky Mountain freight prices have gone up a bit in the last month or two but they seem to have a deal with Fedex
so they are covering their costs. You should be able to order from them for direct shipping (unless you want Metzeler or Pirelli :) )
You might want to check freight forwarding costs first as some forwarders can be quite expensive for large items.

They do not stock all tyres or all sizes of the models they do stock. However, they do have Pilot Road 3 or Anakees in our sizes.

As long as they do not get further nobbled by the Australian distributors.....

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Freight forwarders

I checked freight forwarders a couple of weeks ago and it was something around $100 per tyre. Bugger, as I think it was American M/C tyres (tires) who do the tkc80s I wanted but won't freight outside USofA
Does anybody know where I can get TKC80s from USA?

If Metzler and Pirelli have knobbled US imports does this constitute "restrictive trade" Last time I checked this was legislated against many years ago. Will check with a lawyer mate and report on this thread if I have good news ( ' hold ya breath )

I think I remember being told that Pirelli own Metzler.

If Metzler/ Pirelli have knobbled imports it's time to use the power of the internet to boycott these companies!! It's a world of international trading now and it applies to all companies. Every company now plays on an equal international playing field, or so we are told. And it sure ain't equal on the little field I play on.

NOW....here's the rub!...I DON"T MAKE THE RULES...I JUST PLAY THE GAME .oops I'm shouting but it gets me going.

International trading is here to stay, it's not going to change no matter what the argument is, good or bad, or how much we whinge. We the consumer, are the cash cows, we don't make the rules, we just have to play the game. Lots of business has gone o/seas. I think it's bad like any thinking person does, I don't like it. But I can't change it and it's too late anyway... I don't make the rules!... So it's the way of this smaller growing world, I can't fight it, it's too big for me, I'm the little bloke and too late. So I want to buy anywhere in the world. I am well aware that this may threaten some dealers and this I really don't like but I suspect that the importers, the tyre companies themselves are gouging. For years all Australian companies have been told to cut down on your costs to be competitive but some have market dominance or are in a business that has a comparative monopoly. So what's the answer? Who knows?

But this I know for fact!!... I'm the little bloke in all of this and I want part of the action too.

·
Registered
254 Posts
If Metzler and Pirelli have knobbled US imports does this constitute "restrictive trade" Last time I checked this was legislated against many years ago. Will check with a lawyer mate and report on this thread if I have good news ( ' hold ya breath )
Heck no (because nothing actually happened in Australia)
The Oz distributor had a word to the factory who had a word to the US distributor who had a word with Jake Wilson/Rocky Mountain.
Free trade in action

If you want US Mobil (or Shell or Redline) oil at 60% of the Australian price check out this guy - G L Lubricants.
Yes, Redline and Mobil have already had a word with him but he is playing his suppliers very close to his chest.
Good on him and what was the reason for us playing high prices for oil again ?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
O/S tyres

Yep Just checked. Jake Wilson and Rocky Mountain won't freight Metzler to Australia but will freight Michelin...For the moment at least.
Check this..American M/C tires sell TKC80s to suite Strom, G.S.1200 etc for: OH guess what, they wont freight outside U.S.
Front...US$117.63
Rear....US$163.89
$281.52 about $275.00 in Aussie Dollars

That price is less than just the rear in Aussie. Front tyre FREE!

Don't try and tell me that it's just wages taxes etc. I see it as gouging untill Aussies bleed.

The rotten Bathplugs!!

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Pirelli own Metzler and Heidenau.
Michelin is a French company for those who don't already know.
The point I was making to Burnie is that it is dead easy to circumvent the no shipping outside the USA rule ( which is completely legal and you can rant as much as you like but you will get nowhere). There is plenty of advice on ADV. All you do is get an address for a compliant freight forwarding company in the USA, the dealer ships to them (US address) and they forward to you. There are companies being set up just to do this very thing with all sorts of goods.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
o/s Tyres

The point of the rant Kiwi is to advise those who don't already know, that we are bled by many Co.s tyre Co.s in this case. Ultimately it means that fellow readers will find cheaper goods,tyres in this specific and that can't be a bad thing. And thats the point. The cost difference is too great to ignore.
Rants such as these ARE productive and can benefit many. For warned is for armed, Knowledge is power, that kind of stuff.
But I was wrong once before.
I read ADV but as yet haven't found a freight forwarder whose rates on heavy items, is a dealmaker. If I find one I'll post here for the foregoing reasons. Do you know of any reasonable Co.s?

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I'm in San Francisco at the moment so maybe I should ask around. :)
I'll check which company my brother in NZ uses for US KTM parts when I get home.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
o/s Tyres

Brilliant! Many thanks, I'm sure members will be more than pleased. It's the F/F Co.s of heavy items, such as tyres, at a reasonable cost that I haven't as yet been able to track down. $100 freight for one tyre is itself a gouge.
Happy hunting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts