StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to replace the chain on my 07 Wee. Original chain has 33,000 miles on it and is barely in spec (12 9/16" between 21 pins), 5 lines showing on rear adjustment, no red dust or kinks. It hasn't required xs adjustment. PO must have done excellent maintenance and I've added a Scott Oiler at 24,000.

Thought I'd run to CO and back in June (3,000-4,000 miles) and then replace the chain and sprockets before a long trip in September. Am I taking a chance by making this trip before change?

I assume a 525 is the size but I'm confused about brand (EK, RK, DID, etc.) and type of chain to order. Appreciate any input. Ian, Iowa

·
Registered
293 Posts
Just replaced mine today

I went through SVRacing and cannot speak highly enough about the service. I bought the EK SRX "X" ring chain and replaced the stock sprockets at the same time. Mileage on my '07 Wee is 25,200. The chain started to show some kinks but otherwise looked ok. It was getting noisey also. I have heard good reviews for this chain and easily expect another 25k miles out of it.

I am on the 100k plan for mileage. So I figure a chain and sprocket set along with new brake pads every 25k is not bad and keeps me from worrying about things. I cannot say for sure one brand is better than another, but I do know the pin sizes differ between models. The EK has the larger pins I think. Not an exact science on my part but seemed logical with all other things considered.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Get a X ring and you can lose that messy chain oiler. I went with a DID X ring gold. I just did my first adjustment since I put it on 11K later. I have cleaned it every 3 weeks or so with WD 40 a brush & a rag. Thats it ! I dont even use chain lube at all.

·
Registered
370 Posts
You forgot Z ring too :mrgreen:

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Yep, 525 is the chain size & sprocket size. For a Vee, 530 is an extra cost option for longer chain life (wider links spread the load so reduce wear). On the Wee the 530 is just added expense and weight more than a benefit.

Another vote for Blair's SVRacingParts.com. The other things I've gotten from him have been tops, and his service is the best. Some consider Suzuki OEM sprockets the best available; OEM chain is probably about mid-quality.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just finished installing a new chain and sprockets, got the kit from svracing. I've dealt with him several times and am a satisfied customer. Really, I think this is going to be the consensus of the forum, not a particularly dramatic subject.

if you want to hear some differing opinions, ask about the 16 tooth front sprocket, or if you should use a clip style master link! (both of which I do!)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Am I taking a chance by making this trip before change?

I assume a 525 is the size but I'm confused about brand (EK, RK, DID, etc.) and type of chain to order. Appreciate any input. Ian, Iowa
It appears noone has specifically answered your 2 questions. I will attempt below

1) I would not call it "taking a chance" but I would say replacing BEFORE your trip eliminates a variable.

2) Any 525 Chain and sprockets designed for the Wee will work. Any brand-name chain is good. Some brands have their own 'trademark' name for the type of seal they use. (kinda like "band-aid" means "adhesive strip") As long as you keep it lubed, it will last as long as your original chain.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I just replaced my chain and sprockets at 30,000. I had already replaced the stock chain and front sprocket (-1) at 10,000. Used a 525 X-ring from DID and renthal sprockets 17/44. If you are at 24,000 and doing a long trip it might be recommended to change everything out including the sprockets. You'd probably be okay, but how bad would it suck to be on the side of the road for a couple days on a trip like that?

·
Registered
392 Posts
lube

You do need some lube on the chain, not much, but some. The rings of whatever shape they are hold the lube inside the chain just fine, but the chain running over the sprokets, specially the drive sproket with no airflow causes heat, the lube removes that heat so it can be cooled by the airflow over the chain. Bare metal on metal friction is never a good thing.

Bill H.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts