StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For anyone who is interested Southern Riders (NZ) organise a great ride every year called the Escapade. Its a ride of approx 1,200 - 1,400 km where you ride a pre defined route collecting the answers to around 30 questions. You complete the ride in your own time between Sept and Nov and then send in your answers to 'win' your badge. I did it last year and really really enjoyed it. I'd recommend it to anyone wanting a great ride with flexibility to do at your own pace and in your own time. I believe this years ride will be central South Island/West Coast.

Anyone interested can use the link below or PM me for details.

Am happy to ride along with someone if the timing suits. :mod2_scooter:

attached some photos from last years ride... www.southernrider.co.nz for entry form and more info.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
For anyone who is interested Southern Riders (NZ) organise a great ride every year called the Escapade. Its a ride of approx 1,200 - 1,400 km where you ride a pre defined route collecting the answers to around 30 questions. You complete the ride in your own time between Sept and Nov and then send in your answers to 'win' your badge. I did it last year and really really enjoyed it. I'd recommend it to anyone wanting a great ride with flexibility to do at your own pace and in your own time. I believe this years ride will be central South Island/West Coast.

Anyone interested can google southern riders or PM me for details.

Gee that sounds enticing Wd,I have family in NZ,Would you have a ballpark number on what it would cost to get a wee across the ditch? lots possibly.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Gee that sounds enticing Wd,I have family in NZ,Would you have a ballpark number on what it would cost to get a wee across the ditch? lots possibly.

Doug took his across a couple of years ago and it was in the region of $1600 I believe plus its a couple of weeks in transit either side of when you ride plus you will almost be guaranteed to go through a set of tyres on the course bitumen they use on SI roads.
It's better to rent one. There are a couple of reputable NZ bike rental companies and you certainly used to be able to rent Wees in Christchurch. If not there are plenty of other rental options to try.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
There are a bunch of mad Aussies running around the SI on DR's and the like looking for dirt roads as we type. Glitch and crew are there until this coming weekend.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
There are a bunch of mad Aussies running around the SI on DR's and the like looking for dirt roads as we type. Glitch and crew are there until this coming weekend.
I am of 55 vintage kiwi and keeping up with those lads is not enticing,albeit I just love the posts on adv and some of the the photography is sensational.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
I am of 55 vintage kiwi and keeping up with those lads is not enticing,albeit I just love the posts on adv and some of the the photography is sensational.
Damn it, you are younger than me Don :fineprint:

Go get a dirt bike in the 400-650 class and go cruising up and down some tracks and trails.

Even my old KLR650 seems light compared to the Wee and it does dirt fairly well.

As long as you don't try to be a boy motocrosser you will handle some enticing bush rides easily enough. :beatnik:

·
Registered
722 Posts
...the posts on adv and some of the the photography is sensational.
Happen to have any links? I'm striking out searching.

I'm getting hitched this summer. Wifey-to-be and I are hoping for NZ for the honeymoon. She found the section on "for hire motorbikes" in the travel book the other night. :bom_2thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I saw some Wee for hire at Queenstown last year. I don't know the cost.A lot of the roads in NZED are just asking to be ridden. My wife got sick of me saying "I wish I had my Strom with me.":yesnod:

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I'm getting hitched this summer. Wifey-to-be and I are hoping for NZ for the honeymoon. She found the section on "for hire motorbikes" in the travel book the other night. :bom_2thumbsup:
Summer in the US is the middle of winter in NZ and NZ in winter by motorcycle will not be a happy honeymoon. The best motorcycle time in NZ is about now (late Feb through mid April).

·
Registered
722 Posts
Sorry, yes, aware of that. We will not be traveling in summer, that's just when the wedding is. We had been planning October or November. Also there will-sadly-be no motorcycling. The missus does not ride; that's just my thing.

Still in for picts...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts

The oldest was '50 vintage and rode the socks off the rest of us.
Which included a damn-quick 27 year old....AND... everyone else being on 50hp XT660s while he was on a 34hp DR650.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
55? Can't keep up? Wuss.
Na,just having the scalpel for the herniated disc again is not appealing although that was a long time ago,if I could poke along I would be fine but the "keep up factor" yep, spot on kiwi that is my problem.Came home this morning from Melb in the car via Yarra Glen/Yea--some of the young blokes you have down there on sporties have no fear let me tell you none.:yikes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
NZ Shipping

I used Get Routed to ship my bike back in 07. It's now $1750 return + 10% of the bikes value to be coughed up for NZ customs. That's refundable when your bike gets returned to Australia. Like Kiwi say's you have to do without your bike while it's being shipped back..approx 3 weeks. I'd look at all options before I shipped again.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I used Get Routed to ship my bike back in 07. It's now $1750 return + 10% of the bikes value to be coughed up for NZ customs. That's refundable when your bike gets returned to Australia. Like Kiwi say's you have to do without your bike while it's being shipped back..approx 3 weeks. I'd look at all options before I shipped again.
Ta for the reply Doug,ludicrous amount of money ay,2 hour flight--makes no sense,bikes don't get HIV or HEP C--- 2 large to get a 180 kilo of metal across the ditch--bullshit.:furious:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Ta for the reply Doug,ludicrous amount of money ay,2 hour flight--makes no sense,bikes don't get HIV or HEP C--- 2 large to get a 180 kilo of metal across the ditch--bullshit.:furious:
Welcome to the real world, mate...because the actual freight cost is the least of the whole thing.
Easy to blow the horn without knowing all the details...
Packing/ unpacking fees, temp storing fees, lodgement fees, customs clearance fees, fuel surcharges, quarantine clearance fees and all the rest of the bureaucratic stuff....and that's only the start. Add local RWC and other legal stuff before you can push the thing out of the customs area.

It's like air fares....$44 for the seat, $38 for the taxes and fees which cover airport security, processing, customs clearance etc etc
Once people actually start to add up the REAL cost of the whole exercise and forget the sentimental fluff of getting "MY" bike across for the ride, it's usually too late....as hiring starts to make more sense the more one looks at real figures.

Dave Milligan is still cranky with me after I wrote a piece on our own experiences and did a proper accountant/ business-style comparo on the 2 options after our 2005 NZ trip.

As a result, we've never shipped our own bikes again....not to NZ/US or Europe.

Then again, each to their own...and mobs like Get Routed wanna live, too.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd have thought the best option would be to hire, rates are pretty reasonable in NZ I think.

You can get a wee in Queenstown for $189NZD per day for a 2-5 day hire, possibly less from a less touristy town.

Just my two pence worth..

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Cheers Glitch and thanks for the transparency as I had no idea of all the other stuff,and my budget doesn't accommodate those costs,ah well NE Vic is still hard to beat.:yesnod:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts