StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cohutta DS Loop:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=216441371107358020604.0004e26f5e62a27a73c60&msa=0&ll=34.967373,-84.602173&spn=0.356181,0.647507

81 miles of gravel & forest service roads in the Cohutta Wilderness Area. This is a little over 3 hours of riding once we get to the start of the route. The route begins and ends on 411 in Cisco, Ga ( north of Chatsworth ). This will be a route exploration ride as I have never been on any of these roads before.

I have gpx and kml files for those that want a copy. The kml file gives you a rough idea of the route.

I will select a meeting place once I see who all will be attending this group ride.

So, who's interested?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Excellent area to ride , been there several times (tent camped 3 times there). Plenty of dirt roads , good trout fishing. I'll be out of state at a Co. yearly meeting , you guys have a great time. Take pictures. :hurray:

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent area to ride , been there several times (tent camped 3 times there). Plenty of dirt roads , good trout fishing. I'll be out of state at a Co. yearly meeting , you guys have a great time. Take pictures. :hurray:
No worries, I'm planning on scheduling a group ride monthly...

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm interested, but it would depend on the meeting point and the route up.
Where are you coming from? I will be planning the meet at the most central point to everyone riding. I'm in Acworth ( closer to Woodstock ).

I have not selected a time yet. I'm thinking that this route is a bit short and I'm considering adding to it. My group rides are usually all day rides. For example, we could take 411 up to 74 then head east to 30 and take that north to Tellico Plains via 30, 315, 39. If you've never ridden these roads they are great back roads. Or we could come south to Chatsworth and ride Fort Mtn. I have lots of routes once we have a meeting place I'll create a more 'complete' route.

todd900ss, where are you coming from?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm in Johns Creek, so if I were to head that way, I would want to shoot up to Dawsonville and take FS28 to FS77 to Doublehead Gap (which is all gravel/dirt) up to Morganton.

I have knobbies and my rear is about shot and prob only has one or two more rides left in it, so I would want to stay off pavement as much as I could.

My rides are typically 170-200miles, when off pavement so this would be a long day but manageable.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm in Johns Creek, so if I were to head that way, I would want to shoot up to Dawsonville and take FS28 to FS77 to Doublehead Gap (which is all gravel/dirt) up to Morganton.

I have knobbies and my rear is about shot and prob only has one or two more rides left in it, so I would want to stay off pavement as much as I could.

My rides are typically 170-200miles, when off pavement so this would be a long day but manageable.
I like it....I will admit, though, I'm a bit new to planning offroad rides. I'll get the timing down soon.

I do have a long offroad ( mostly gravel rd ) route that sorta follows 68 into Tellico Plains, the Cherohala to Robbinsville, then Wayah rd back towards Andrews. I'm not sure if it can be ridden in one day, as it is 300 miles long, but I'm gonna try.

Dawsonville is a good meeting place. The rest of us can enjoy 136 from Talking Rock on the way over. Do you know of a specific place in Dawsonville that we could meet?

I'll modify the route to include FS28 to 77 and Doublehead Gap. Once I get the route all stitched together I'll have an idea of how long it is going to take. Then we can discuss what time we want to meet in Dawsonville. You can lead the group from Dawsonville to Morganton and keep us offroad if you like.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I like it....I will admit, though, I'm a bit new to planning offroad rides. I'll get the timing down soon.

I do have a long offroad ( mostly gravel rd ) route that sorta follows 68 into Tellico Plains, the Cherohala to Robbinsville, then Wayah rd back towards Andrews. I'm not sure if it can be ridden in one day, as it is 300 miles long, but I'm gonna try.

Dawsonville is a good meeting place. The rest of us can enjoy 136 from Talking Rock on the way over. Do you know of a specific place in Dawsonville that we could meet?

I'll modify the route to include FS28 to 77 and Doublehead Gap. Once I get the route all stitched together I'll have an idea of how long it is going to take. Then we can discuss what time we want to meet in Dawsonville. You can lead the group from Dawsonville to Morganton and keep us offroad if you like.

Does that route to Tellico include a road called, Walt road or Wahl road or something???? I cant remember the name of it, I'll look it up on my gpx... if its the one I'm thinking of, that is one nasty road! Rocky as ever and has a challenging river crossing, well there are three crossings but you'll know The One when you get to it. Skid plate is a 100% must. But a 300 mile off pavement ride... too long for me. Pavement rides, I'll do 400+ mountain runs all day, but off pavement, 200-220 tops.

So just rough mapping it, this may be a bit of a stretch for me.... Now that I think about it, I tried to map a similar route earlier in that area. I never went because what looks like a road, is not. Its actually a hiking trail and I dont think there is a way to cross Big Frog Mntn. There was no other way to cross the forest at that point except going way north or back track.

So, Im going to make a map and look at it again and see. I may have it saved.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does that route to Tellico include a road called, Walt road or Wahl road or something???? I cant remember the name of it, I'll look it up on my gpx... if its the one I'm thinking of, that is one nasty road! Rocky as ever and has a challenging river crossing, well there are three crossings but you'll know The One when you get to it. Skid plate is a 100% must. But a 300 mile off pavement ride... too long for me. Pavement rides, I'll do 400+ mountain runs all day, but off pavement, 200-220 tops.

So just rough mapping it, this may be a bit of a stretch for me.... Now that I think about it, I tried to map a similar route earlier in that area. I never went because what looks like a road, is not. Its actually a hiking trail and I dont think there is a way to cross Big Frog Mntn. There was no other way to cross the forest at that point except going way north or back track.

I'm not familiar with that road. Mike at Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters has assured me that the route is easy except for a some of the steep hills.

I don't have a skid plate or engine crash bars yet so I'm going to stay on the easy side of things. With the limited ground clearance and the weak non-spoked wheels I'll get a different bike if I want to venture into the rough stuff.

I'm mainly interested in scenic rides, not challenges.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

How does this look for the new route?

It starts in Dawsonville and ends in Ellijay.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:%2F%2Fgpx2kml.com%2Fpublic%2F2013%2F07%2F29%2Fmaah30gwx_Cohutta-DS-Loop.kml&ll=34.820568,-84.442291&spn=0.665161,1.295013&t=m&z=10

The route is now 161 miles and just under 6 hours. Let me know what everyone thinks...

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I have not ridden on any of these roads. They were all created from Garmin BaseCamp. So, there is a chance that we might end up at a point where we can't continue. If that happens we'll backtrack and try to find another path. I don't have my paper maps with me at work. I'll take a look at those tonight and will do some forum research on ADV to confirm the route as best I can. But things are always subject to change along the route. No worries...

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, between my paper maps and Google Maps, I have been able to confirm all of the route except for one section. The section that goes north around Big Frog Mtn. BaseCamp shows FS221 going north around that Mtn and then connecting to Peavine Sheeds Creek rd, but Google Maps doesn't show this route. That section is at the of all of my paper maps. 221 does show on the Tennessee Forest Service Motor Vehicle map.

Tennessee map:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5304778.pdf

Georgia map:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5098004.pdf

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hate to do it, but I'm going to back out. Door to door for me, its going to be at least a 275 mile ride. That's a long day in the saddle when on gravel.

I'm going to stick closer to the Suches area this Sat.

When I can arrange to stay at my buddies cabin in Ellijay Ill hit that area.

Sorry to change it up on ya, Rodney. :(

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hate to do it, but I'm going to back out. Door to door for me, its going to be at least a 275 mile ride. That's a long day in the saddle when on gravel.

I'm going to stick closer to the Suches area this Sat.

When I can arrange to stay at my buddies cabin in Ellijay Ill hit that area.

Sorry to change it up on ya, Rodney. :(
No worries...this is a first of many group rides that I hope to be planning for my Stromtrooper friends.

·
Registered
1 Posts
8-24-2013 ride

I live in auburn al but I'm from murphy nc and go to helen ga all the time. I might be interested in the ride, I have a 2012 adventure with only 300 miles I bought new last november so I really need to ride it.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I live in auburn al but I'm from murphy nc and go to helen ga all the time. I might be interested in the ride, I have a 2012 adventure with only 300 miles I bought new last november so I really need to ride it.
I'm going to shorten up the route a bit since Camerman isn't going to be able to make this ride.

Since todd900ss is in Marietta and I'm in Acworth and with you coming up from due south, it seems a central meeting place would be somewhere just off of 75 north of Cartersville, Ga. Probably at or near the intersection of 75 + 411.

Let me know as soon as you can whether or not you will be joining us and I'll work on modifying the route.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts