StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up the Nuvi 550 on a "black Friday" sale. Don't actually think that I saved that much over the normal internet price, but I have it now.

My question is about the Garmin mounting kit. It comes with a power cable that includes a huge step down transformer. OK, it's not huge, but do I need it. The battery connector for my GPSmap 60csx wires direct to the battery, no step down needed. Can I just cut off all the crap and splice a line direct from the USB connector to my fuse box?

·
Registered
780 Posts
I just picked up the Nuvi 550 on a "black Friday" sale. Don't actually think that I saved that much over the normal internet price, but I have it now.

My question is about the Garmin mounting kit. It comes with a power cable that includes a huge step down transformer. OK, it's not huge, but do I need it. The battery connector for my GPSmap 60csx wires direct to the battery, no step down needed. Can I just cut off all the crap and splice a line direct from the USB connector to my fuse box?
I'm not sure about the NUVI 550 but I will say that the powercord on the NUVI 250W has the power convertor/charging stuff in the sealed plug-in and if you cut it off and try to hard-wire that cable directly to the battery, it will fry the NUVI as it runs on much less power than 12V! :furious:

Don't ask me how I know this..........

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Garmin GPS units run on 5VDC. Some units like the Zumo have internal voltage regulators. Ones with external regulators need them kept in place. BTW, transformers are only for AC power.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pretty much figured that I would need the converter, or what ever that box is called (I know it's not a transformer, but my nicotine craving brain can't form all the right thoughts). I have to cut and splice the cable anyway. It's not long enough to run up to the front of the Wee and then be threaded up by the windscreen.

36 hours without a cigarette...time to go grade some presentations! I really wouldn't want to be one of my students today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts