StromTrooper banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Vendor
5,241 Posts
We have american made higher quality foam grips specifically sized for V-stroms.

Electronic cruise controls have been installed in V-Stroms. Search "Rostra." The electric motor driven units work better on V-Stroms than the vacuum operated units.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just want to address your buffeting comment. No one thing has solved it but these things, working together, have helped.

Madstad windscreen (I'm running a 20" may go up to a 22" or 24")
Adventure tech mirror extenders
Aprilla style mirrors
Fitted riding jacket (vs the looser one I was wearing)

A bunch of the remaining wind that knocks me about is now coming from the handlebars, I have some handguards on order and I'll report back if they help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I grip both grips using just the web between my thumbs and forefingers and fingers resting on the levers.
I only fully grip in traffic situations and when shifting. this also helps in keeping my hands cool.
I, too, have been riding with this hand position since day one. The key to this position for me, though, is the fact that I have Throttle Rockers installed on both sides. That gives me a large surface area to rest my hands, and in the case of the throttle side, to use the heel of my hand to rotate the throttle.

Actually, I have every recommendation talked about here installed on my V-Strom; handlebar risers, Grip Puppies, Throttle Rockers and an Atlas throttle lock. I couldn't say whether any one of these mods was the fix for the numbness I was experiencing but all of them, in combination, seems to have fixed my problem. That, and being very conscience of not keeping my hands in any one position for too long and always trying to keep not just my hands but my whole upper body (especially arms and shoulders) relaxed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had this with my DR and it turned out to be self-inflicted. I concentrated on having a looser grip on the bars (reminding myself that they are just there for steering input and mounting controls). If my hands start to give me trouble I grip a little more with my knees and less with my hands.
The other thing is (as was also mentioned above), change your hand position as you apply and hold throttle so your wrist stays straight.

Reactions: phatguy and Big Boy

·
Vendor
5,241 Posts
Just remembered, my doctor recommended gel gloves. But I think the problem originates in the tunnels the nerves run through. I had t give up Foosball (a bigger thing than it might seem) because of ulnar nerve issues. I strongly suspect that is the same nerve issues is responsible for my hand going numb in less than an hour. Funny thing is i can shake it off after an hour and keep riding. Throttle rockers also do help me personally.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Synching the throttle bodies goes along way to smoothing things out if you haven't done that. Also try a throttle lock for brief rests while riding.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Rotate your levers and switch boxes forward just enough to keep your wrists straight at cruise.
Textured knee pads helps everything.
A thumb operated throttle return friction device (old school Vista). Not to emulate a cruise control but to reduce the otherwise constant "twist of the wrist".

Reactions: phatguy

·
Registered
48 Posts
+1 on Grip Puppies. The stock handle grips are torturous. An $11 set of foam grips is a great investment. Also, I tried a cramp buster on a long trip, and ended up with a mild case of carpel tunnel syndrome. Since then, I've switched to a $25 throttle lock, which I find to be a much better solution.

Reactions: NVDucati

·
Registered
244 Posts
Just want to address your buffeting comment. No one thing has solved it but these things, working together, have helped.

Madstad windscreen (I'm running a 20" may go up to a 22" or 24")
Adventure tech mirror extenders
Aprilla style mirrors
Fitted riding jacket (vs the looser one I was wearing)

A bunch of the remaining wind that knocks me about is now coming from the handlebars, I have some handguards on order and I'll report back if they help.
link please for the madstad device

·
Registered
244 Posts
All of the above comments are very very good advice and it will be a trial and error process.
For me I had to have carpal tunnel surgery to deuce the pain.
I also use a Kaoko To hold the throttle on long stretches. It does not work as good as electronica but once you learn how to work it I can use it all the time

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
I'm a little late to the party but I had the same numbness problem. I think it stems mostly from the sweep of the handlebars such that my wrist must be turned to align with them.

I installed the grip puppies and they solved the numbness problem, but they introduced thumb joint pain (they were just a little too large). I took them off to install the Oxford heater grips (which also increase the grip diameter but not as much as the puppies). I have not need to reinstall the puppies over the Oxfords.

I also practiced using a lighter hold on the grip. On really long stretches I use the GoCruise 2 throttle lock to rest my hand and alternate using only some of my fingers. Numbness is no longer an issue, but I think the true solution would be to get handlebars with a sweep that allow me to keep my wrist straight.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I also practiced using a lighter hold on the grip.
Good point. It took me a lot of years to learn that I don't need a death grip to stay on my bike. Particularly on long highway trips (where hand-wrist discomfort really becomes important), you can have a very relaxed grip - fingers almost draped over the throttle - and still maintain speed and control.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had this issue with my Suzuki AN650 Burgman. I did two things, both were very effective: (1) The throttle body had two settings for the return spring. The factory default was the strongest setting. The lower setting made for much less stress on the throttle hand/wrist & it still sprang back confidently when released. In any case it's a dual cable system so it doesn't rely on the spring to return the throttle to idle. I don't know if the bigger V-Stroms have the same but it'd be worth a look) (2) I fitted an MCCruise electronic cruise control system. I did about 120,000km with the MCCruise. It was absolutely magic. Constant speed on the highway, reduced fuel consumption & you can wave to oncoming bikes with your right hand :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know it's just us but my wife and I are both experiencing numbness in our throttle hands on our V Stroms. We have changed the handle bar position to no avail. It usually occurs after about an hour of riding. We have other bikes and this is not a problem. At stop lights etc. we are always having to stretch out and flex our throttle hands. Sometimes we stop just to get rid of the numbness. Makes touring an issue on these bikes. Any ideas? Does anyone use cruise on their VStrom?

Then there is the issue with buffeting that has apparently been talked about enough but we both struggle with it. We will go to that collection of responses to that issue and try some fixes.
I have had the same problem on my 2018 - 650 and finally fixed it. It is obviously caused by vibration. I use a cramp buster but That only relieves it for a while on the highway And really treats the symptom not the problem. This is what I have done. First I purchased and installed “ Grip Puppies “, a slide on hand grip that diminishes vibration. When that did not totally remove the problem I bought a piece of heavy duty black radiator hose, cut a short piece, sectioned that piece in half giving me a semicircle piece in cross section. I unscrewed the handle bar risers, placed the rubber piece in between the bar and the base, and then screwed it back down tight using “ Locktight “ to secure it. That serves as a vibration damper and TOTALLY eliminated the problem. Be certain to replace the parts exactly as originally with the dimple in the metal up not down. Please let me know if that works for you or if you see any down side of doing that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thank you all for the feedback. In an attempt to eliminate variables, I have just received a couple of sets of Grip Puppies. I will install them this weekend and hope for a good riding day. If that doesn't solve the issue, I plan to install the Cramp Buster's, another inexpensive attempt. Beyond that if necessary, I was actually thinking about moving the bars up and back one inch but only because while sitting on the center stand and having my wife look at my profile, I apparently tend to have to reach a little for the bars. I'll look into that later.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts