StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's just us but my wife and I are both experiencing numbness in our throttle hands on our V Stroms. We have changed the handle bar position to no avail. It usually occurs after about an hour of riding. We have other bikes and this is not a problem. At stop lights etc. we are always having to stretch out and flex our throttle hands. Sometimes we stop just to get rid of the numbness. Makes touring an issue on these bikes. Any ideas? Does anyone use cruise on their VStrom?

Then there is the issue with buffeting that has apparently been talked about enough but we both struggle with it. We will go to that collection of responses to that issue and try some fixes.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
My hand also goes numb if I forget to reposition my hand on the throttle so my wrist is not bent 90 deg to my arm. Roll on the throttle and then reposition your hand so your wrist is not so bent. You can try rolling the handle bars forward to compensate for the throttle position. I have my bars rotated back to bring them closer but this puts the throttle in a bad position and this sounds like your problem. My next move will be to installed some Rox risers to get them up and back so I can re-rotate the bars and put the throttle back where it belongs.
There is a dedicated thread for wind buffeting and any discussion will get punted there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I use Crampbusters on both my V-Strom and ST1300. These allow you to control the throttle mostly with the heel of your right so you don’t have to hold on tightly with your fingers. They are cheap (you can get even cheaper Chinese knockoffs on Ebay) and are super effective.

·
Administrator
17,096 Posts
The sweep of the bar could be a factor as well, I have no annoying vibrations on my 650. Look into grip puppies or comparable grip cushions, that make a great difference.

Reactions: Cryoman

·
Registered
303 Posts
My throttle hand would get numb after an hour or so on my SV650, Grip Puppies really helped. Hasn't really been a problem on my 'strom, but I do have grip buddies to thicken the grips. Prefer the puppies, but the buddies are easier to install.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
The stock bend on the Suzuki bars killed my left shoulder blade. They were not a good match for me. CR bend bars fit me much better.

You might want to see about swapping out bars for some relief?

·
Registered
15 Posts
What SteadyHorse said. I had that numbness with my DR650, and I found some foam wraps that fatten the grips up just a bit. They solved my problem immediately.
I haven't needed them on the Wee so far, but I saw them sitting on my shelf before I went for a day trip with some cruiser biddies this weekend so I threw them on. On the ride, there was a new rider with a new Harley 883 Iron. (I know, right...?)...anyway, I noticed he was often dropping his throttle hand and flexing it. At a rest stop, I took my wraps off and told him to try them. Next time we stopped I said, "I was watching and you didn't drop your hand once since you put the wraps on.." He said, "These things are ****ing amazing! No numbness, nothing. Where did you get them??" Well, I found them in a bargain basement sort of store in another province when I was visiting my son.. They were like $3 ..I bought 2 sets so I just gave them to him. We rode the rest of the day and his numbness never happened again.
I don't know what they're called, but they're just a rectangle of foam with fabric on one side, and the ends velcro together. Like mousepad material, but slightly thicker...but not as thick as grip puppies. And they just wrap around the grip and the ends overlap and stick together with velcro.

I looked online to see if I could find them, and I come up empty. About the closest thing I could find was Grip Buddies Smartskin Grips. A fair amount more than the $3 version I have.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I grip both grips using just the web between my thumbs and forefingers and fingers resting on the levers.
I only fully grip in traffic situations and when shifting. this also helps in keeping my hands cool.

Reactions: Big Boy

·
Registered
236 Posts
Grip puppies do help. If you ride in the cold climets, also consider adding Oxfort heated grip. With the addition of both oxford and grip puppies grips, it reduces the numbness.

·
Registered
406 Posts
It used to happen for me too. For ling rides I have a crampbuster thinggy...I also changed my handlebars and it is pretty good now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Was same for me.
Fixed it by doing following - I didn't do them independently so can't tell you what it was...
Front tyre pressure - if it gets low I get vibration back
Check bars are central in top clamp - mine were 5mm over to right.
Balance throttle bodies
Check intake boots and clamps are tight.
Check front forks suspension settings equal both sides.

Worked for me. Nothing needed to be purchased.

·
Premium Member
5,058 Posts
Grip Buddies ( NOT Grip Puppies ) always and Cramp Busters on both sides to keep my wrists straight.
Risers usually and a throttle lock.
That set up allowed me to do 4,000 km in 6 days in June without seizing up. Hands were better than my butt.

I have both a torn rotator cuff from a come off 5 years ago off pavement on the KLR and diagnosed severe carpal tunnel in both hands. Thinking of getting the left hand done this year. It's an office visit and usually successful.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Had Grip Buddies on my BMW RT and installed Grip Puppies on my Wee. Both worked just fine for my aging body😉

·
Premium Member
5,058 Posts
I like that you don't have to remove any guards with Grip Buddies and they can be moved relatively easily

Reactions: Philbytx

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Cricket bat grips are cheaper and work better. A bit of a bastard to install admitted.

I put them on my 1000 simply because the grips on the Oxfords were wearing badly, but they work really well and a single grip will do both sides.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I grip both grips using just the web between my thumbs and forefingers and fingers resting on the levers.
I only fully grip in traffic situations and when shifting. this also helps in keeping my hands cool.
I've always ridden like this; all four fingers on the levers basically all the time whilst on pavement. I don't even change that basic hand position when I shift. I never run out of throttle roll even in 100-mph quick passing situations. I don't do it for any particular reason; it's just what I've been used to since I was a kid. Actually, I've wondered if I'm the only person who does it. Guess not!

Good point about keeping your hands cool, also. I would think it probably keeps your hands in a more relaxed position which would help help combat fatigue/numbness.

It's not the reason I do it, but I figure it's also good to keep your levers covered at all times.

·
Premium Member
5,058 Posts
hunh good idea- love the lime green ...my CBF1000 is so dull.

Yeah I cover the levers as it keeps my wrists straight and my hands not clenched.....but I tend to 2 finger brake ...had to think about that for a minute....muscle memory.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I battled this for a long time. Went through the usual motions changing, raising, adjusting bars, moving around a lot, installed cramp buster (didn’t like it) trying to keep weight off my hands by gripping the tank with my knees, trying to stay loose, stretching, ibuprofen etc.

Problem is when you do LONG rides it’s easy to fall back into the bad habits of hunching over, gripping the bars too tight or forgetting to relax your shoulders.

What finally worked for me proven by 1200 miles from Florida to Texas was an elastic wrist brace with gel.
It provides support and compression while also remaining breathable so you don’t feel like you’re wearing a swampy cast.
My jacket slides right over it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts