StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface this by saying I've already got over 200,000 miles riding the darkside on two Valkyries, a VTX1800, and my Vic Vision so I'm a bit biased. Rode em one and two up, twisties, interstates and everything in between so I'm used to the things.

The rear tire on my Vee had two plugs in it and over 14,000 miles on the OEM original tire so I figured it was time to change rear tires. I was glad to see where folks on Vees were running darkside so I picked up a 205/50/17 Achilles ATR Sport then spent $11 to have it mounted on my 12 Vee Adventure and put 34 psi in it.

When the tire arrived I was at a meeting several hours away and my wife called me highly concerned that it was too wide for the Vee. I got home and took some measurements of the tire in it's shipped state and it did look too wide for the bike so I got back on line to be sure I ordered the correct size which I did and the vendor shipped the size i had ordered which they did. Once the tire was mounted everything was fine, chain easily cleared is as did the swing arm.

I rode the tire a bit over 100 miles today and found the Vee rode no differently than any other bike I've ridden on the darkside. It handles better on the gravel road we live on (2 miles of gravel to the closest paved road to the east and 1/2 mile of gravel if I ride west.) Sweepers it handled fine, 75 mph on four lanes it didn't self destruct, made up twisties it did well, and frankly I'm happy how the Vee handles so far darksided.

The next test is my daily commute of a bit over 100 miles, I ride in all kinds of weather so we'll see how it goes. I ain't saying the darkside is for everyone, I've been happy riding em for several years now and glad I can ride em on the Vee.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Any pictures of the setup? Thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll get some posted tomorrow morning for you.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
With your extensive experience with the dark side I am interested in your opinion with the corner handling on canyon roads. Will they hold in a corner?
Also with a standard motor cycle what is the with of your chicken strip. this will help gage our riding skills.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't want to get into the worn out darkside debate which has been hashed over a zillion times. The following is only my opinion, if your happy with a MC tire, ride and enjoy it!

I've taken the advanced riders course and use the lean into the bars turning method so don't aggressively lean into curves. On Hwy 128 and riding the Moonshiner from end to end several times some folks would pass me and I'd pass some folks. I'd rate myself as an average rider. Don't know if I've been true canyon riding, I just ride within my personal limits and want to get home safely.

Do I push myself and the bike I'm on? Yep, sure do one up. But if we're two up and I push the riding too far I get dope slapped.... :D

I have ridden with some highly aggressive darkside riders on Valks and GW's who leaned with the best of leaners and they did quite well. When we first went to the darkside the theory was to over inflate and get more of a curve on the tire over the years we've let the air out for a more improved ride with a better contact patch. I find that with the reduction of the air pressure I counter-steered less too.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's those photos:

·
Administrator
17,397 Posts
I guess if you wanna work harder to throw the bike around to get those extra miles out of a tire, then going to the darkside makes sense for a select few. On a big bike like a wing which is already basically a car it makes sense, but relatively small bikes like Stroms makes little sense to me.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I'm not looking for a debate on the dark side. But real information from people that have worn one out. Most of the nay sawyers have never even seen one on a bike and never rode one down the road.
I am looking for a tire that will get better mileage. In the past few years I have had to buy three tires one front and two rears. When I started riding the strom I was getting 14000 miles out of the rear tire. and now with the same tire 6000 is a average.

I do ride on the aggressive side. but I ride with guys that there is no way that I could ever keep up with. I do employ the lean in method in my riding style.
At one point in my 40 years of riding I thought that when the chicken strip was gone that I was going fast. Now with the lean in I am a much better and faster rider.
I do want to try the dark side. But want to go in to the project with the most information that I can. If this tire will not carve a corner it most likely not work for me.

Most of the information that I have collect has said that the tire does well. on the other hand no one has said that they can go as fast as they normally do on a MC tire.
Any information is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I'm not looking for a debate on the dark side. But real information from people that have worn one out. Most of the nay sawyers have never even seen one on a bike and never rode one down the road.

Most of the information that I have collect has said that the tire does well. on the other hand no one has said that they can go as fast as they normally do on a MC tire.
Any information is appreciated.
I suggest this article. It seems balanced to me. You want empirical evidence from riders, but take a few moments to consider all angles.

Tales From the Dark Side: Putting Car Tires on Motorcycles | Rider Magazine

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tville, wish you were closer so you could take the Vee for a long spin and see what you think about the tire.

My commute is a bit over 100 miles a day on two lane roads so I rack up the miles fairly quickly. I'll be able to give more of an opinion about going darkside riding a couple of weeks on the Vee. The commute doesn't have a lot of twisties but there are a lot of sweepers and a few off the beaten track farm roads begging to be ridden. My first impression is a positive one.

But I liked how my RE5 rode back in the day too. Come to think of it, the only bike I've ridden that I didn't like the way it handled was a 70's Harley Sportster.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Have you bothered to check with your insurance company about running a car tire on your bike? From what I understand after talking to a State Farm agent most insurance companies won't cover you if an adjuster sees that you had a car tire installed, regardless as to who was at fault.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Have you bothered to check with your insurance company about running a car tire on your bike? From what I understand after talking to a State Farm agent most insurance companies won't cover you if an adjuster sees that you had a car tire installed, regardless as to who was at fault.
An insurance company can refuse to pay for any number of reasons and would need a good reason if they went to court. Your State Farm agent was talking out of her behind with scare tactics.

·
Registered
530 Posts
An insurance company can refuse to pay for any number of reasons and would need a good reason if they went to court. Your State Farm agent was talking out of her behind with scare tactics.
Exactly, insurance companies can refuse to pay for any number of reasons - so why the heck would you give them another reason not to pay out?????

As far as I can tell the ONLY reason guys are running car tires on bikes is to save money, they certainly aren't getting any better performance - in my opinion if you can't afford to put the proper tires on your bike, then sell your bike.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I suggest this article. It seems balanced to me. You want empirical evidence from riders, but take a few moments to consider all angles.

Tales From the Dark Side: Putting Car Tires on Motorcycles | Rider Magazine
I read the article and found heavy to the engineers and not the experienced rider.
I have worked with engineers for the last 20 years developing new processes an products. Witch the article seemed to lean to the engineer thoughts. I cant tell you how many times they have told me some thing will or will not work and in the end I showed them they were wrong and how to fix it.
I 'm looking to find the people that have the experience with the tire on the rode.
After all the Bumble Bee can not fly. But when one of them thumps you in the helmet at 70 mph go ask his buddies how did he ever get off the ground.:confused:

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I read the article and found heavy to the engineers and not the experienced rider.

I 'm looking to find the people that have the experience with the tire on the rode.
I understood from your first post you were looking for "real world" experience. I still thought the article covered the pros and cons of that though. But also, the voices in the article were not just engineers; there were other industry people too. What about the car tire (Kumho) guy who advises against it? That should say something.

Yes, I know we could all be slaves to convention that is incorrect and be fools for not saving money with car tires. And as the article said, people ride some thousands of miles without helmets and other gear with no consequences. Apparently, darkside too. Neither is generally recommended though, is it? Me, I am still okay with spending a bit more for a motorcycle tire just in case the engineer guy is right after all. I wouldn't want to find out the hard way any more than I would if I rode in shorts and sneakers. Not trying to be a flat-out naysayer, but I will never be able to provide the evidence for this topic because I won't be trying it.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
a naysayers article with and picked naysayer experts
I guess so, and not that I believe "experts" are always right, but I don't think there are any experts on this who would not be nay-sayers. There are only riders who would be for it as far as I know. It's likely that no one from the motorcycle industry would endorse it, at least not publicly. So probably all articles about it will be nay-saying articles. I'll leave it alone now, because I realize it was rider input that was asked for.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts