StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I just picked up this 07 DL650 with a mere 12K miles and am loving it. The information shared here by Stromtroopers was really helpful in deciding what I wanted/needed. The bike is totally stock, which is great-- a blank canvas you might say. It also has a set of Anakees that are so new they still have some tire whiskers!

So far I'm loving the silky smooth engine and the comfortable riding position. I could see doing some serious miles on this bike. Only hiccup so far is a preload adjuster knob that won't adjust the preload. It turns but nothing happens. I pulled it off and couldn't see anything amiss. I put an 8mm wrench on the adjuster and preload adjusted fine, so who knows? Doesn't look like you can replace just the knob, so I'll have to get creative and try to bodge something up. Otherwise the bike is ship shape, and a blast to ride.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Welcome aboard. Your bike is identical to mine. You'll have a lot of fun riding.

It looks like your '07 was a garage queen. Some of the fluids deteriorate even when sitting. Renewal of all original fluids would be wise. The coolant and brake fluid should be replaced if they haven't been done in the last two years.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks greywolf. I actually pulled the hex nut off and cleaned and lubed the ball bearings, nut, and the "spindle" itself. It didn't require an excessive amount of force to turn it with a wrench either. What's odd is that the plastic knob is obviously spinning on the metal hex nut without moving it, but I don't see any marks or damage on the inside of the knob. I'll take another look at it this week.

PTRider, thanks and you are spot on about the fluids. Oil/filter has been done, and brakes and coolant are next. When buying used I'm actually a little leery of bikes with really low miles! I prefer a bike that has been ridden and maintained.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts