StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently riding a 99 Concours that I like a great deal. But I'm getting the itch for something new and think I want something lighter as I get a little older(59).
I will spend 99% of my time on the pavement hunting the twisties. Any thoughts on the choice between the two bikes that I'v mentioned. I will be two up quite a bit also.
Thanks in advance,
Jim

·
Registered
875 Posts
The NV from what I hear is tuned towards hyper fuel economy and commuting. The honda forums complain about lack of power. The integrated bags look interesting.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shaft drive

The Honda has the shaft drive and that's a big deal to me. But I lean towards hotfooting in the twisies and that won't be much fun if its under powered.
Are there many guys or gals using the wee as mainly a sporttourer?
Feedback?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Shaft drive and a LOT less power.

Thing is the new DL 650 gets about the same MPG if you ride it within the same envelope but has at least 20HP more on tap if you need to pass something. I'll admit I like having both those options available.

I use my DL mainly as a commuter, I *could* use a scooter for that but I also use the DL as a weekend bike in the twisties or on dirt - the Honda would fall well behind there as would a scoot. I suspect you really need to look at the maxi scooters as competitors to the NV700 rather than a DL 650.

Longer breaks, the DL tours, serious multi-day rides simply aren't an issue on a DL 650.
I'll admit I find chain V shaft not an issue because I have a working chain oiler.

Pete

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scooters?

No scooters for me thanks. I'm not ready for that.
I know chains have come a long way, but I feel like its a step backward after having the shaft for so many years. My other bike is a 2003 Triumph Bonneville T100. I seldom have to even adjust the chain on that. (Great bike by the way)
I'm also short of inseam which is also a concern. 5'7" 30" inseam. But I have read on the forum there are ways to deal with that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
power

I owned a SV650 standard for a short time. I loved the amount of power that bike had. Is this the level of power I should expect from the Wee?
I gave that bike up because I couldn't make the riding position work form. I've got issues with my neck. Even the Concours with Helibars bothers me on longer rides. But I won't give up riding till they put me in the box!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
i looked at the nt, the versys and the dl650 when i was getting my next bike.
i had a klr650 and my commute changed from 20 miles of back roads to 30 miles of super slab. the klr was ok but i wanted something more roadie.
i thought i would love the nt but the buzzy bars and almost lack of being able to change grear ratios were stumbling blocks. i went with the dl650 and have put in a 16t front sprocket and it has been a very good comuter. i can get 60mpg if i take my time, mostly i get 56mpg. the chain has 26xxx miles on it and still looks good with alot of adjustment room still.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Feedback?
Thanks
There are many of us here doing just that. I would go so far to say that the V-Strom is a sport tourer that some people use as an adventure bike. Call it adventure touring if you want. It's a blast in the twisties, does great on long hauls, and can be ridden off-road if you choose to.

Don't let the chain scare you off, I came from BMWs and hadn't had a chain street bike in 20 years before the strom and was a little reluctant to give up shaft drive. Now, it's a non-issue. I would still prefer shaft drive but a chain doesn't dissuade me any more.

·
Registered
41 Posts
im pretty partial to a shaft drive myself. but i decided to go with a Vee because of all the things the bike does so well. My Vee and my last bike were both chain drives and after seeing how much longer my tires last with a chain than a shaft made it a non issue for me. If you buy a strom you will not be dissapointed and you will love the bike so much nothing will matter.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Wait for the 2013 burgman 650 scooter. I heard it is going the sport tourer route and don't sweat the "scooter" label. I have a 2006 burg 650 abs and it toys @ 80 all day long.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Feedback?
Thanks
My 07' is 99% sport tourer I have done some off road riding and plan to do more, but most of the time is on pavement for long rides up in the N.GA/NC/TN mountains.

There are a few things that really make mine great for sport touring.

1. Jesse Panniers - these things hold a ton of luggage - great for camping! - but they aren't strom specific.
2. Elka Suspension - the ride quality is pretty damn awesome.
3. Highway pegs - I don't ride very much slab but when I do or when on a longer straight, its great to be able to stretch my legs if I don't want to stand.
3a. The strom makes it easy to stand and ride thus being able to stretch legs.
4. There has already been several times when I have been on a ride in the mountains and the route took me to gravel/service roads. It makes pushing forward a lot more confidence inspiring to stay on route and just ride the gravel road.
5. I'm running the Metzler Tourance and have scraped pegs and chewed through any chicken strips that were on the tires from the previous owner. So riding hard in twisty roads = fun!

I have many other farkles that help make it more comfortable as a sport tourer (a seat will prob be my next purchase). But it's working great for me!:thumbup:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
My Wee and Glee have been 100% sport tourers. When I started riding again, I wanted the best middle weight bike I could comfortably take on long trips and still have lots of fun on twisties at the focus of the trip. I don't think I could have made a better choice.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I own a '10 Wee and used to own an '07 NT700V, which I had for 2 years covering over 20k miles. Both are superb, underrated and overlooked bikes.
The NT700V is rated as putting out 65bhp so its not hugely dissimilar to the Wee's power output.
The Wee feels sportier, it has a higher rev ceiling, whereas the NT redlines at 8k rpm.
The Wee feels stronger as it weighs maybe 30 kilos (70lbs) lighter, also its chain drive as opposed to a power sapping shaft.
Fuel economy is very similar on both bikes, the NT is stronger lower down the rev range and its a more agricultural and workhorse style of engine.
If you spend most of your time on the highway/motorway the NT wins it with superior comfort, wind protection and luggage carrying capability.
The Wee is more fun, lighter, easier around town and at slower speeds and is much cheaper to buy.
Out of the two i'd give the win to the Wee, but its a close run thing.

·
38,103 Posts
The NT700V develops 55hp, not 65 like the Wee, and is about 80lbs heavier than the Wee. That weight difference closes up when luggage is added to the Wee to make the configuration similar.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Our cousins across the pond have been short changed if your NT700V's have 55 bhp. European ones put out 65. The old model of NT, the 650 Deauville with carburettors put out 55..

·
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
The manufacturer quoted specs are the generally accepted standard surely? Suzuki quoted approx 65bhp for the Wee in their brochures, just as Honda quote 65bhp for their NT. That being the case if you put the Wee through the same dyno test in the link you've provided it would come up with a similar result to the NT.
Manufacturers usually quote power rated at the crank while tests on a dyno usually quote power at the rear wheel.
In any case, in real world riding conditions the NT and Wee feel similar in terms of power output. The Wee is stronger at the top end of the dial, the NT is stronger in the low to mid range.

·
38,103 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts