StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '05 wee w/66k miles is making some noise when releasing the clutch in first gear from a stop. I can only describe it as sounding like there are rocks in my transmission (think Harley Sportser). I'm just curious if anyone has encountered a similar issue and how much money I might be looking at in parts? Not sure if I'm looking at a release bearing or anti-shudder springs or an entire clutch kit. TIA for any insight.

·
Administrator
5,745 Posts
Although not impossible it is highly unusual for serious clutch issues at 66k. Look first at the clutch actuator or, as ratbikerrandy suggests, at the chain and sprockets. Try letting the clutch out in gear while holding both brakes on and looking at the chain.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Do you have a center stand? If so, put it up on the center stand, keep it in neutral, and spin the rear wheel. Does it spin freely and smoothly, or are there notches? Do you hear the clunking? Grip the wheel on top and bottom and check for lateral play. Either would indicate a bad bearing.

If those pass, then I'd remove the sprocket cover and continue checking those parts for wear or issues.

It would be highly unusual to have clutch issues at this mileage. My 650 has over twice the miles with no noises or slipping.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
It might sound like a bunch of rocks because there's a bunch of rocks in behind the front sprocket cover. Pull it off, clean it out, and start again.
It could also be a bunch of kinks in the chain. If your chain has kinks you need to replace it, along with BOTH sprockets. You will still need to clean out the area behind the front sprocket cover.
At that age you might also need to look at the cush rubbers between the sprocket carrier and rear wheel. They're easy to replace and not expensive but make for horrible gear changes etc when they're worn or gone hard and shrunk.

Reactions: Fox

·
Administrator
5,745 Posts
You may be correct Nate as the only time I have ever heard the sound of rocks crushing was when the chain was slipping over the countershaft sprocket.
BTW the OP has not been here since day 1 so may have identified his issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The chain has just under 1" play on the side stand. It is a DID that is in like new condition and both sprokets show virtually no sign of wear. I will have to pull the rear wheel and check the cush drive condition but it definitely seems to be coming from closer to the front.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have a center stand? If so, put it up on the center stand, keep it in neutral, and spin the rear wheel. Does it spin freely and smoothly, or are there notches? Do you hear the clunking? Grip the wheel on top and bottom and check for lateral play. Either would indicate a bad bearing.

If those pass, then I'd remove the sprocket cover and continue checking those parts for wear or issues.

It would be highly unusual to have clutch issues at this mileage. My 650 has over twice the miles with no noises or slipping.
Not only does the wheel spin freely but the noise is almost non-existent when i let out the clutch with the bike on the center stand. No play in the bearings. I am going to pull the rear wheel off to check the cush drive condition before I pull the clutch cover for sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine made some funny noises as well when leaving from stop. It was like screech or resonance from the clutch discs, noticed it especially when using more throttle and dumping the clutch. Decided that it's nothing important and haven't heard it in a while.

Also has some banging on neutral, goes away when pulling in the clutch. More present with fresh oil.

Lack of use, if you ask me :LOL:

·
Vendor
5,244 Posts
These bikes do have some noises like the fork clunk and gear wine.

I would check the condition of the sprockets though. Someone might have put a new chain on worn sprockets or just changed the rear sprocket. And find someone who has a similar bike and have them listen. It just might be normal, but of course we can't hear what you are hearing without a video or sound recording. Might want to make a you tube video and post a link.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I would check the condition of the sprockets though. Someone might have put a new chain on worn sprockets or just changed the rear sprocket. And find someone who has a similar bike and have them listen. It just might be normal, but of course we can't hear what you are hearing without a video or sound recording. Might want to make a you tube video and post a link.

definitely not a normal noise. If these bikes sounded like this new they would not have ever sold any, LOL. It only makes the noise when taking off from a stop under load so not sure how I could safely make a video that everyone could hear. The sprockets are in great shape with no visble signs of wear.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts