StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First chain tightening sequence I've gone through since my 84 model DR650!

Chain lube all over the tire and center hub. Ugh ... and hands. UGH!

Set tension, align, tighten axle nut. Chain too tight. Ugh ...

I did remember to snug the alignment bolts and lock nuts. Ugh ...

I figured that after 20 years, technology would have allowed a lynch pin, instead of a cotter pin. Ugh ...

Did anyone else NOT install the stud that kept the motor from running when on the center stand? :wink:

·
Administrator
17,023 Posts
mitchntx said:
First chain tightening sequence I've gone through since my 84 model DR650!

Chain lube all over the tire and center hub. Ugh ... and hands. UGH!

Set tension, align, tighten axle nut. Chain too tight. Ugh ...

I did remember to snug the alignment bolts and lock nuts. Ugh ...

I figured that after 20 years, technology would have allowed a lynch pin, instead of a cotter pin. Ugh ...

Did anyone else NOT install the stud that kept the motor from running when on the center stand? :wink:
Ok....why did you buy this bike then???? Is your icecream usually too cold for ya??? :lol:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Mitch, the chain and sprocket are relativiely inexpensive consumables.

I just spray some teflon orWD40 on my chain every 500 miles or so, the chain will last at least 15k without all the hassle of other lubes.

Keep it simple. :D

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I too am not a fan of chains. That constant NVH and maintenance is a pita. I agree it is cheap and is the best for suspension actuation.

I have only had one or two bikes (a short time) with shaft drive in my entire bike riding career. So chains are really all I know. :p

PJ1 chain wax is my friend a few times a week.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Warren - Really, can you use WD-40 and that's it on the chain?? I bought some over-priced lube from the shop that is the tacky stuff...picks up all kinds of dirt and debris. :cry: I will definitely try the WD if it's good to do so. Thanks.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Red Wing said:
Warren - Really, can you use WD-40 and that's it on the chain?? I bought some over-priced lube from the shop that is the tacky stuff...picks up all kinds of dirt and debris. :cry: I will definitely try the WD if it's good to do so. Thanks.
This always starts a war... :D

I used nothing but WD40 since the early 80's; but every 3-500 miles.

I've never gotten less than 20K out of any chain.

Good enough for me. No muss, no fuss.

If you ride in the dirt, anything other than plain chain wax or WD40/silicone will attract dirt and make a nice gritty compound to wear your stuff out. :)

Lately though I've been using spray silicone as well; should work fine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks Warren. I just checked out your Strom site and that is one sweet setup you have! I love your Givi cases and the MP Cycledesigns windscreen. I'm not familiar with MP Cycledesigns and will look to see where I can get one. I've been looking at the Givi, Cee Baileys and the Laminar Lip. I was disappointed in the turbulence created by my Suzuki handguards and am hoping a larger/taller/wider windscreen will help. Thanks for sharing your bike's setup on your web site.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Red Wing said:
Thanks Warren. I just checked out your Strom site and that is one sweet setup you have! I love your Givi cases and the MP Cycledesigns windscreen. I'm not familiar with MP Cycledesigns and will look to see where I can get one. I've been looking at the Givi, Cee Baileys and the Laminar Lip. I was disappointed in the turbulence created by my Suzuki handguards and am hoping a larger/taller/wider windscreen will help. Thanks for sharing your bike's setup on your web site.
Mr. Wing, did you really notice a difference when you installed the handguards on your Wee? I just installed my MP screen yesterday and also picked up my hand guards from the dealer but have not installed those yet. The screen definitely helped with the buffeting I was getting from the stock screen. I posted my inital impression in the product reviews section.
Warren, how about yourself? Notice much difference with the hand guards?

·
Registered
23 Posts
d2mini - Yeah, mainly noise and buffeting that hits me right around the bottom of my helmet on the sides (I'm 5'10"). I didn't expect it at all. I had ridden the bike a couple of weeks w/out the guards while waiting for them to come in which is probably why I noticed. I think I would still rather have them than not though, even with the additional wind. I'm hoping an aftermarket wind screen will help out. Thanks for the reference on your MP screen impressions, I will look those up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts