StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Neighbors, yeah I say neighbor while I'm in Utah :grin2:

Have a couple questions about Nova Scotia. Riding of course would be a topic I'd really like to have.
Other questions are more of a personal nature and would like to communicate via
email , if you are feeling the wintery blues and can't go outside temporarily please PM me you email
address.

·
Registered
219 Posts
What do you want to know? If it's riding related, let's keep it public so everyone can benefit. Nova Scotia's got some great scenic rides.

I spent a fair bit of time in Utah this past summer, and I'm thinking of shipping my bike there next summer to do a lot more...

·
Registered
14,233 Posts
As Utah is interesting to you, a lot of us would like to do the Maritimes. I sent Andreas a missive about my ancient relatives that infest the area.
It's a wish list thing.
My sister and uncle attended a family thing in Nova Scotia years ago the same time I was in the east, So Carolina, but the ongoing weather made me wary of riding North.
Phooey, lost opportunities.

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
I fell in love with Nova Scotia my first ride there in '88. Been travelling there every summer since then. well I think I missed two years. During my work stint with only a couple weeks off I would ship my bike to the area, usually Maine, fly and pick up my bike. I discovered Nova Scotia when I went to visit an old friend who had settled there. What a paradise! Plenty of deserted beaches, scenic rides, friendly people. I hang out around the South Shore, Between Bridgewater and Liverpool. Sometimes ride the 'Cabot Trail.' I have a little campsite on a lake, sometimes rent a cottage or camp at friends. Nova Scotia is like travelling back a few years in time. A few years ago the hot button issue was 'should grocery stores be open on Sundays'?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Lots of catholic church and associated schools in most lil towns. Very friendly folks. If ya like scenic places and like to go slow and sightsee it is great. take rain gear and plan rain days to hang out, I was there July and fog rain are common but not a trip killer. Plan the ferry when its clear so you get your moneys worth.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Nova Scotia is a lovely area - my fav is the Annapolis Valley and of course Cape Breton.

You have to be careful with temps....particularly Cape Breton..it's definitely late June to early Sept window...weather at the top end is brutal with winds off the Gulf.
Lovely ride tho

this is the west coast near Cheticamp ( stop in for good Acadian food ..French Canadian ....long story you should learn about Nova Scotia how many ended in Lousiana where they became Cajun and still speak a French dialect )

The Evangeline Trail is lovely and I adore Wolfeville...almost moved there...university town with gastropub and multiple coffee houses.

Bear River is a nice side trip and there is a great gallery in there....number of artists live in the area.

Then across to the East Coast and Peggy's Cove etc...expect lots of tourists in high season and difficulty finding a place to stay.

This the Gaspé Pennisula which you should do if you can but as late into summer as you can ...can be really miserable in spring and early summer

mind the cops.

There are guides for motorcycling in Nova Scotia for purchase or online.

The sheltered Annapolis Valley is 8 degrees warmer in spring so a nice place to kick off...I'd live there in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
What do you want to know? If it's riding related, let's keep it public so everyone can benefit. Nova Scotia's got some great scenic rides.

I spent a fair bit of time in Utah this past summer, and I'm thinking of shipping my bike there next summer to do a lot more...
Yeah, I'm hoping to learn as much as I can here. Hoping/planning on riding up in that neck of the woods next summer. Probably later in the summer.

And I also spent the last two summers in Utah. Awesome!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nova Scotia eh? Great topic! Great place to ride!! As you can see I live here. Born and raised but have spent a little time away just to help me find myself. I'd be happy to answer any question about NS but I'd like to keep it to biking and share it with other members. If you're coming this way and don't mind some company, give me a heads up. We'll get out a map and go exploring. And that goes for all of you Stromtroopers as well. I've met a handful of tourists over the years and took some time to share some great rides with them. And that was before social media days. I always say to visitors, "Welcome home." and they always know exactly why I say it.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Nova Scotia and Newfoundland are my favorite places to ride. I plan on retiring next spring and seriously thinking of moving to NS, maybe around Amherst to be close to New Brunswick and bridge to PEI.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nova Scotia and Newfoundland are my favorite places to ride. I plan on retiring next spring and seriously thinking of moving to NS, maybe around Amherst to be close to New Brunswick and bridge to PEI.
Look me up,… we'll do some touring. We could start with a ride from Amherst down the 209 to Advocate Harbour, NS then onto Cape d'Or Lighthouse then over to Parrsboro, NS. That stretch is a mecca for bikes. It's like the Cabot Trail on steroids. Our brakes will get a good workout. Maybe cruise up to Moncton, NB for dinner. Forty minutes back to Amherst for you and 2 hours back to Halifax for me. A good day I'd say.
Hope to see you out east sometime soon.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yes Nova Scotia is an awesome place to ride, and grow up and hopefully grow old. I left for a girl (now wife) and live in ON for last 22 years. All family and most of my motorcycle friends are in NS. When I can get there in riding season I take the Strom or borrow a bike from friends.
There are so many great paved roads, gravel roads, and some awesome adventure back roads. And finding someone there to ride with is easy. Sounds like OrangeVee will welcome you home.
Member up on Nova Scotia Dual Sport CA Dualsport.ca Forums - Powered by Web Wiz Forums?
You will find me there following friends who are having great times riding off the roads well travelled and there seems to be someone always going for a ride. Check out FJR was riding yesterday!

So lets say you arrive on the ferry into Yarmouth from Maine l would head out for Halifax, options slab it on the 103 or take the #3 out to Barrington Passage. Been awhile since I was down in these parts but a lot of the drive along the south shore is best (imo) combining 103 travel with jaunts onto the #3 and visiting the ocean side villages. Like at #331 head to Broad Cove around to #332 meandering on to you find your way to the beautiful Mahone Bay. You have found #3 and this makes for an interesting time consuming drive to Dartmouth/Halifax, of course stopping at Peggy's Cove(mind the tour buses).
So now you are in Halifax,planning to stay Hotels/Motels can be very expensive in the city. You may want to AirBnB (cheap plug as we have a condo in Halifax central to everything in the city-PM for info).
If from Halifax your plan is a quick trip to Cape Breton or North Shore, slab it on the 102 to Truro and on to the 104 East. But if time and more Atlantic Coast is your desire before going to Cape Breton, consult your map the routes are many, here is a favourite. Leaving Dartmouth via #207 to Lawrencetown and then on to #7 to Sheet Harbour. Decision time, more coastal travel or cross country to Pictou County on one of the most unused well paved barely inhabited roads #374. This is a log and pulb truck route. There are sections of some great woods and pavement watch for wildlife. Many alternates of gravel tracks off this route to get to other parts of province. Like at Trafalgar turn back towards West Loon Lake and you have many places to get lost. (map and GPS!)
However to keep on circumventing NS lets travel from Sheet Harbour on the #7 heading for Ecum Secum and onto Sherbrooke, a village where you can really step back in time.
From here I like to get to CB (Cape Breton) on some various roads, others may have Canso in their sites first. A great option and various tracks can be taken to get there. As a map will show getting around the many coastal harbours makes for some interesting drives.
From the #7 out of Sherbrooke I am going to cross over to CrossRoads Country Harbour. Now right on #316 headed to Larrys River, passing thru many other small villages we are on route to Canso,(#16 to Canso) once one of the biggest fishing ports in the maritimes. Good stop for food and fuel. Head back on the way you came, the #16 and continue on #16 for Boylston. Turning right for more coastal travel on the #344 for Aulds Cove and then onto CB.
Cape Breton has much to offer but all I have ever explored is the trail. So I recommend The Cabot Trail (in a counter clock wise direction, be sure to go to Meat Cove). Then once back off CB head to Antigonish for the little Cabot (as locals refer to the route from Antigonish-Cape George-Merigomish-#245). Now in Pictou County a favourite little run of mine is Woodburn Road(a branch rd from old #4 to #289) There is new pieces to the 104 in this area so watching signage is a must.
I am from Pictou County so these tracks are very familiar. Beautiful Melmerby Beach is at roads end on the #289. Changing rooms and cold water shower and dip in the Northumberland Strait are waiting. From the Merb head to New Glasgow on #289. My home town, many accomadtions, shopping and such. But to see Pictou County's founding town make tracks to Pictou and explore this piece of NS history.
From Pictou you can head of to PEI via the ferry, motor bikes on first and no charge. You only pay when you leave PEI. If not going to PEI the travel on to the North Shore via the Sunrise Trail it's a great coastal run to Amherst (#6-#366). From Amherst you can leave NS and head to NB, or continue your ride in Canada's Ocean Playground and looks to your map making tracks for Advocate Harbour(using #209 form River Herbert). Then its the Glooscap Trail (#2) back towards Truro.
Truro is the Hub, lots of ways to go from here, but cagers usually only see the 104 or the 102 TransCanadaHwy.
You want to explore the previously mentioned Annapolis Valley, you can slab it to the 101 via 102 or take the much forgotten #215(various ways to get there, see a map). Then its on to finding your path from Windsor to Yarmouth(so many options). Be sure to stop in Wolfville (previously mentioned) great university town.
The Annapolis Valley has so much to offer, and I cannot begin to explain all the tracks down there (map time). From the Valley finding yourself heading to Annapolis and on to Yarmouth you have now circled the province, well mostly.
I hope you enjoyed your trip around NS, do come back again.

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
Look me up,… we'll do some touring. We could start with a ride from Amherst down the 209 to Advocate Harbour, NS then onto Cape d'Or Lighthouse then over to Parrsboro, NS. That stretch is a mecca for bikes. It's like the Cabot Trail on steroids. Our brakes will get a good workout. Maybe cruise up to Moncton, NB for dinner. Forty minutes back to Amherst for you and 2 hours back to Halifax for me. A good day I'd say.
Hope to see you out east sometime soon.
That would be great. I've been looking for property for the last few months and planning a bike trip to visit a few. I'll touch base for sure. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
We are looking as well around the Annapolis Valley due to the warmer weather - anywhere around Wolfeville will do. Australian partner does too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I heart Nova Scotia!

My brother and I took a 2 week trip up to Nova Scotia back in 1997. He was celebrating a divorce, I was celebrating getting a Real Job that included paid vacation time. We were debating destinations (from Ohio) and all the usual suspects either involved too much boring slab (Going out West) or would be filled with a plague of families in minivans (SE region/Smokies etc.) In those days, the "internet" was not exactly as helpful as it is now, so we were sitting at the table looking over a big map of the US. My brother says, "hey, look, you can ride all the way to Nova Scotia! For some reason I always thought it was an island." We learned that we could take a high speed ferry "The Cat" from Bar Harbor, and that was really the extent of our knowledge. We've both been back, separately, over the years, but this summer will mark 20 years since that trip, which ranks as the best ride EV-AR. So we're going back, this time with gadgets and electronics and fancier motorcycles (on that first trip, I had a BMW R80, bro had a ratty CB750).

I've ridden better roads (marginally) and inhaled scenery more astoundingly beautiful (also marginally so) but in all the places I've been, I have never met kinder, more helpful, generous, interesting, friendly people than those in Nova Scotia. Hell, I don't even LIKE people, but everywhere we stopped, we made a new friend or three. From directions to the best roads, tips on good eats, and even bike repair (the Honda had its share of issues) we encountered Good People. Though the guys who owned the campground at Meat Cove tricked us into helping them move a giant satellite dish and bummed all our American cigarettes...

Happy Trails,

Jim B.
Grove City, OH
2013 DL650A

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
My brother and I took a 2 week trip up to Nova Scotia back in 1997. He was celebrating a divorce, I was celebrating getting a Real Job that included paid vacation time. We were debating destinations (from Ohio) and all the usual suspects either involved too much boring slab (Going out West) or would be filled with a plague of families in minivans (SE region/Smokies etc.) In those days, the "internet" was not exactly as helpful as it is now, so we were sitting at the table looking over a big map of the US. My brother says, "hey, look, you can ride all the way to Nova Scotia! For some reason I always thought it was an island." We learned that we could take a high speed ferry "The Cat" from Bar Harbor, and that was really the extent of our knowledge. We've both been back, separately, over the years, but this summer will mark 20 years since that trip, which ranks as the best ride EV-AR. So we're going back, this time with gadgets and electronics and fancier motorcycles (on that first trip, I had a BMW R80, bro had a ratty CB750).

I've ridden better roads (marginally) and inhaled scenery more astoundingly beautiful (also marginally so) but in all the places I've been, I have never met kinder, more helpful, generous, interesting, friendly people than those in Nova Scotia. Hell, I don't even LIKE people, but everywhere we stopped, we made a new friend or three. From directions to the best roads, tips on good eats, and even bike repair (the Honda had its share of issues) we encountered Good People. Though the guys who owned the campground at Meat Cove tricked us into helping them move a giant satellite dish and bummed all our American cigarettes...

Happy Trails,

Jim B.
Grove City, OH
2013 DL650A

That is really saying alot. It's pretty easy for me to get pumped up about an upcoming trip, but the more I read from riders who have been there and the folks that live there, I'm getting pumped. Now just have to decide what month to go. Plenty of time to decide.

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
That is really saying alot. It's pretty easy for me to get pumped up about an upcoming trip, but the more I read from riders who have been there and the folks that live there, I'm getting pumped. Now just have to decide what month to go. Plenty of time to decide.
August or September would be my choices. (after black fly season) September can be nice but coolish.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts