StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-- the front suspension.Feels a bit harsh to me.
I did a ride that I have done many times before (on a 2001 Bonnie and the KLR)and I feel that the Wee2 front is just not absorbing the small hits.Its harsh and jarring back through the grips into the old arthritic thumbs.
Question is-Will the forks come good with more kl, only 1,800 on the clock now,or if thats just the way they are,has anyone fitted Rycor Intiminators to the Wee2 ? I have them on the KLR and they are great but having difficulty finding info on them on a Wee2
Cheers, Macca

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It's still a damper rod fork rather than a cartridge. Ricor Intiminators or Race Tech cartridge emulators and some work should improve things.

·
Registered
618 Posts
You are comparing completely different bikes. Of the three i have owned the strom has been the best at absorbing bumps.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
38,048 Posts
My Glee is better than my Wee was stock, but not as good as the Traxxion fork upgrade.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Get the Ricors, they are much easier to dial in than the RaceTechs.

The very best consolidated info you will find here on the topic (and the topic has been beaten to death) was written up by AceRider:

Intiminator Review

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bike in question is a Wee2 (topic beaten to death :confused:)I have found lots of information on pre 12 Wee but little on the L2.Do the same rules apply ?
I'm assuming (from information provided on site)that the forks on the L2 are differant than previous models.
AceRiders exelent review looks to be based on a 09.

·
38,048 Posts
The Glee forks are stronger sprung and better damped than the Wee. Still, they are damper rod forks and compression v. rebound damping control is not as well controlled as it can be with cartridge forks.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
maccoz,

my experimentation is on a K8. But they are both damper rod forks springing essentially the same weight.The same principles apply to L2 -

L2 came with stronger spring and most likely, slightly different damping orifice and or fork oil viscosity to pre L2. This is kind of the "stage 1" mod for people who didnt want to spend a lot on K bikes.

Assuming your weight is within the shock workable range. It's all about getting the spring and rebound right first, then chuck in intiminators or emulators to overcome some of shortcomings of damper rod design for compressions.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Before you spend big $$.
Loosen off the front axle bolt and the fork clamps bounce the bike a few times, retighten the top clamps then bounce the front as hard as you can and retighten the axle bolt.
Then buy a can of silicone spray, or 3M stainless steel polish, spray generously on the fork legs above the seals.

Go for a ride.

That may get you 90% of the way there with minimal expenditure.

If the spray works (and the DL's have *very* stiff fork seals) buy some foam fork protectors (Noj was the brand I found) , spray generously on the inside with the lube and fit those.

Pete

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info Pete.
A loosen bounce spray is first on the agenda.:thumbup:

Ace,just in case the above dont work---
I fitted Intiminators(and shock) to one of my 08KLRs.Using Rycors installation advice the Intiminators worked extremely well with no mods.
From your research do you think the same result could be expected in the Wee2 with its stronger springs etc.
The Wee will be used as 95% tar roads bike but I would love to remove the harsh jarring to my arthritic thumbs that I copped on the Lions Rd/Summerland Way rough surface.I dont expect the same bump absorbing ability as the KLR but a bit better than now would be nice.
Cheers, Macca

·
38,048 Posts
I'm sure Traxxion could do it. I had them do my Wee's forks. It's not a matter of dropping in aftermarket parts. Machining is required. I don't consider the $1395 I paid for it to be worth the amount of improvement. Ricor or Race Tech additions aren't cartridges but can make noticeable improvement for much less.

·
Registered
305 Posts
...I would love to remove the harsh jarring to my arthritic thumbs that I copped on the Lions Rd/Summerland Way rough surface.
That section of road is worse than most dirt roads.

The only bike I have ridden which can make rough corrugated dirt roads feel smooth is my DRZ400E. At times it is ridiculous how good a job it does of making the rough feel smooth.

Softer dirt bikes like my old NX650 dominator don't have as good a quality suspension, and more serious dirt bikes like friends WR's or KTM's are too stiffly sprung and don't soak up the little stuff in the lounge chair way the DRZ does.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
G'day Penumatic
Lions is a bit chopped up with all the wet.Summerland way is much the same as it usually is.I wouldnt call either a bad surface(not counting the Lions damaged sections)Its a regular route for me on many differant bikes.The 01 Bonnie was a absolute ball on there,and after fitting Ikon progressive springs & shocks was even better.
The Ricor fitted KLR is just great on that road,within the limitations of the 606s, but so was the standard KLR,just sold.
Its not the road its the bike.
Cheers, Macca

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
That section of road is worse than most dirt roads.

The only bike I have ridden which can make rough corrugated dirt roads feel smooth is my DRZ400E. At times it is ridiculous how good a job it does of making the rough feel smooth.

Softer dirt bikes like my old NX650 dominator don't have as good a quality suspension, and more serious dirt bikes like friends WR's or KTM's are too stiffly sprung and don't soak up the little stuff in the lounge chair way the DRZ does.
Those roads are semi-regular rides of mine, I do notice the bumps, but they aren't jarring or a problem - not a lot worse than some of the roads on my current commute. That's why I'm thinking that you may be able to fix this without spending mega $.

No doubt cartridges or emulators will make the suspension work better ... eventually ... but I was so pleased with the improvement I got after fitting the forkbrace - which meant making sure the forks were aligned and fitting my (silicone lubed) Noj fork protectors that I didn't bother to move the emulators over from my K6. That was a bit smoother, but not a lot in it.

That's why I'm suggesting trying some of the inexpensive things first.

Pete

1 - 19 of 19 Posts