StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am always looking for the "Extended Commute" and this morning I've topped all previous ones. . .

I was up at 4am and left at 4:55 for a 4 hour tour of NH.

(If you connect the points from 'A' to 'D', that is what my commute is like on 4 wheels, where's the fun in that?)

Total miles: 223.7
Just shy of 4 hours (there were 3 stops, one photo, one gas, one McDonalds).

It is a commute as I arrived at work (a few minutes early), worked 10 hours, then took about an hour ride home to charge my battery (I had my liner on almost full this morning, it was a bit cold in the mountains).

As expected, the motorcycle enthusiasts at work were all envious, the non-riders thought I was crazy.

I am forming a new class of riders, the "Commuter Tourers". We are the the crowd that justifies the purchase of their motorcycle to lower our carbon footprint, cut our fuel bills, and then make up for all of that by riding the #@$ out of our bikes (and enjoy every minute of it).

I'm working on the commute that will top this one now.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks good but I have to ask why all the interstate on the South-bound leg?

Quality over quantity! :mrgreen:
I had to slab it to make it in time.

I'm not a huge fan of the interstate (my wrists can attest to that, I really need a throttle lock), but it served it's purpose this morning.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
When people make a comment like, "Wow, using the bike, you must be saving a lot of money on gas."

I laugh and respond, "No. When I am not riding, due to Winter conditions, and I want a cup of coffee, I jump in the van and drive the 5 mins to our local Mobil On-The-Run gas station. When it's riding season and I want a cup of coffee; that's a trip to Camden 1 1/2 hrs away. A rider will think of any excuse to make the trip longer."

Looks like a nice commute!!!!

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
So I am always looking for the "Extended Commute" and this morning I've topped all previous ones. . .

I was up at 4am and left at 4:55 for a 4 hour tour of NH.

(If you connect the points from 'A' to 'D', that is what my commute is like on 4 wheels, where's the fun in that?)

Total miles: 223.7
Just shy of 4 hours (there were 3 stops, one photo, one gas, one McDonalds).

It is a commute as I arrived at work (a few minutes early), worked 10 hours, then took about an hour ride home to charge my battery (I had my liner on almost full this morning, it was a bit cold in the mountains).

As expected, the motorcycle enthusiasts at work were all envious, the non-riders thought I was crazy.

I am forming a new class of riders, the "Commuter Tourers". We are the the crowd that justifies the purchase of their motorcycle to lower our carbon footprint, cut our fuel bills, and then make up for all of that by riding the #@$ out of our bikes (and enjoy every minute of it).

I'm working on the commute that will top this one now.
I can't top that but often ride 220/250km [140/160miles] to get home if I finish work early, the normal ride home is about 32km [20miles].

Does that qualify me to be a "Commuter Tourer"?
:confused:

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
When the cow runs dry, my wife often sends me to get milk at the corner store, a quarter mile up the road. She knows to give me at least a couple hrs notice. Kinda along the same lines as Norms mail run and Black Labs coffee run.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Does this count as a commute? I was working a trade show in Vegas and decided to rent a bike. I got up at 4am and rode from Vegas to Zion National Park and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. It was about 800 miles roundtrip and I got back to my hotel just in time to take a shower and work the opening of a tradeshow at 5pm.

Butt was sore but had to stand at the tradeshow. Would do it again in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would have skipped boring I-93 and made a beeline from Conway to Squam Lake and then come down Rt 106 to Rt 107. Much nicer ride and most likely empty roads for the same time period (~3 - 3.5 hrs).

·
Registered
22,238 Posts
Looks good but I have to ask why all the interstate on the South-bound leg?

Quality over quantity! :mrgreen:
his northward leg on Rt16 might's well be highway, its a major primary route to the north country, as was the eastward leg on Rt 101 (101 is divided like an I-way)

My family has property on Lake Winnipesaukee....such a nice place. I've never ridden a bike up there, but would love to someday...
the 100 mile loop around the "pond" is a regular winter ride for me, coldest to date is -12°F

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Well, not quite as scenic but yesterday my "commute" was Boston - Manchester NH - Princeton MA - Boston. About 175 miles. And got bruced in Tag-O-Rama....

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
his northward leg on Rt16 might's well be highway, its a major primary route to the north country, as was the eastward leg on Rt 101 (101 is divided like an I-way)
True, I should have gone the "Maine Route" North, it only tacks on about 10 minutes (4 - 5 -160 - 25). And 101 is basically a toll-free highway.

My next "Commuting Tour" will be more East-West & vice-versa, I've always wanted to get to work via Vermont.

·
Registered
22,238 Posts
True, I should have gone the "Maine Route" North, it only tacks on about 10 minutes (4 - 5 -160 - 25). And 101 is basically a toll-free highway.

My next "Commuting Tour" will be more East-West & vice-versa, I've always wanted to get to work via Vermont.
don't feel bad, I took RT 16 to the Whitehorse open house last saturday, normal route for me is 153 -Brownfield Road - Haleytown Road or Ctr Conway Road

on the 93 side of your loop, I usually take 175 and 132 or Winona Road

I get discouraged every time I take 160, one of those roads that give Maine its reputation for frost damaged roads

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
22,238 Posts
rather than going for an early morning ride, I am more apt to go on a late evening ride, after dark, I do prefer highways and primary routes, visibility of nocturnal creatures is better, and cornering at night is not my thing, especially with the frame mounted headlights on the Strom, I am a little better with a fork mounted headlight that my SV and a lot better XV920R, that has IMHO the best stock headlamp of ANY motorcycle

1 - 17 of 17 Posts