StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
One of the annoucers on KUSC, the classic music station here in LA frequently annouces another ladder on one of the freeways of So Cal during the rush hours.
I hit a box spring set going home in the dark of midnight with my jeep years ago. Luckily no one was behind me when it leaped off the ground behind me. It jumped straight up in the air.
That's why looking 10 seconds ahead of your line of travel is suggested by the DMV training book.
At least the ladder was kinda perpendicular to the line of travel and it was easy to leap over.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
I was riding down near Wilmington once, following a truck towing a utility trailer. Suddenly the entire axle broke free from the trailer, and because the wheels were still on it, it began bouncing, spinning and jumping right towards me. I was never so glad in my life to be on a four lane divided highway, because I had enough room to maneuver around the axle while it jammed on past me on its own merry way. That was, hands down, the scariest thing to ever happen to me on a bike, including the time I was in an actual accident.

·
Administrator
13,199 Posts
Perhaps a tad bit of target fixation, but he did a commendable job of maintaining control. Time to clean the shorts.
I think the rider did a great job. I don't think target fixation was an issue at all. The rider checked the lane beside was clear and started moving over. The ladder started going sideways as it rotated so not a lot the rider could do. (Which I think was good.. breaking or hard evasive maneuvers could have messed things up.)

..Tom

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
I watched a van swerve side-to-side and then lay over rolling down the middle of interstate in my direction maybe twenty years ago now. Luckily, it was in the mirror. No cameras back then. I guess it lost a tie-rod maybe??? I have never seen a flat tire do something like that. Sometimes bad things just happen.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
Can't tell from the video, did it fall off that truck in front of him? Either way, not grabbing front brake most likely saved the rider form a nasty crash. Just like on the trail, lean back and yank the bars.

·
Registered
202 Posts
great job i think he handled it just fine. but definitely time to clean the shorts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Just had the same thing happen to me in Oct with a 4x4 lumber while heading home at 75mph from Texas on a newly acquired ST1300. Last thing you want to do is to be on the brakes when hitting something low. I'm always amazed how quickly things happen and how quickly the mind works in situations as these.

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
"I'm always amazed how quickly things happen and how quickly the mind works in situations as these."

Kinda like when a deer jumped out in front of me. No brakes. Poke the bugger in the butt and coast to a stop.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Nice job of staying in control. Last spring I was in Texas riding my DL650 and day dreaming on a long stretch of highway when I looked up and before I knew it , hit an Armadillo!! That sucker was hard, I went into a speed wobble but managed a recovery. I stopped to see if the rim was bent because it was such a hard hit and all was well. It took me a half hour to settle down!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Not nearly as scary, but I was riding behind a pickup a few years ago. Heaped in the back were large clear plastic bags of aluminum cans. This is where being a mature rider with a bit of experience comes in handy -- I did not like the looks of it, and moved 2 lanes over. Not a minute later, one of those bags flew off the back of the truck, hit the road and burst open, spilling probably thousands of crushed aluminum cans all over the roadway. Being out of the 'burst zone', I was able to cruise by the scene unscathed. I imagine riding over those things would have been like hitting a road full of marbles.

Good on that rider for maintaining his composure. Not sure I'd have the presence of mind to do the same.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Can't tell from the video, did it fall off that truck in front of him? Either way, not grabbing front brake most likely saved the rider form a nasty crash. Just like on the trail, lean back and yank the bars.
Yes it fell off the truck in front of him. People are idiots when it comes to tying down loads. This clown lost a ladder but his stupidity could have cost someone their life. You just have to hope people like this don't procreate!

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is a scary video and I am glad the rider was able to stay upright!

Am I the only one who thought hit the brakes? Braking has always been my go to method of avoidance when things in front of me get scary.

I know if an impact was imminent you wouldn't want to be on the brakes at the time of impact but I would much rather hit something and potentially crash at 30 than at 60!

I also feel like the rider could have slowed down significantly faster than the ladder sliding on pavement.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Ran over one in California with my wifes Ford Escape @ 70mph..shattered the aluminum 6 ft stepladder. Timeline was Oh Fu- BANG!!
pulled over..car was running fine so went on our way.
A week or so later, at home, had a look under car and found a 16" extruded aluminum "step" jammed between the exhaust and the "floor"..luckily it didnt puncture the oilpan or trannypan or a brakeline. I guess the "TWO SECOND RULE" SHOULD apply..

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Sometimes suspicion can help transform an emergency into a simple avoidance.
I was riding a nearly empty expressway in Ontario, Highway 401 near Cornwall.
I was in the right lane, and so was the van about a kilometer ahead, the only visible vehicle.
The van signalled left and commenced using the left lane, for no reason that I could see.
OK, I'll bite. I signalled left and followed, also in the left lane.
Hence I did not need to swerve to pass the bicycle lying down in the right lane.
A while afterward, I saw a car parked on the shoulder.
Someone was dismounting the empty bicycle rack.
Uh-huh.

·
Registered
818 Posts
About a month ago I was cruising on the freeway about 75mph in the fast lane following a PT Cruiser at a comfortable distance. He suddenly drifted into the the 3ft median strip for no apparent reason (probably on his cell) but I backed off the throttle to be safe. Coming back into his lane his tire kicked up one of those giant truck tire treads that litter the highways. I had almost no time to react and before I could do anything the tread sailed passed me, missing my bike by a couple of feet at most. That was a terrifying close call and I dreaded the thought of going down at speed. As for open-bed pickups loaded with junk (gardeners are notorious for this) I always pass them as quickly as possible or give them a wide berth.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts