StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I tried to get sorted to do a ride with CHINOTAKER but couldn't confirm until late last night for today [sorry Daniel :headbang: ].

Anyway, on the off chance that someone read my late post and decided to turn up at Maccas McGrath's Hill, I was there just after 9:00am and waited until about 9:50am before heading off alone.

I was on the KLR because although I managed to do the chain and front sprocket yesterday [thanks for the "supervisory assistance" BTW Graham, you can't say I hadn't lubed the old chain during its life- you got your hands dirty too :green_lol: ] I still haven't done the front wheel bearings and didn't want to pound them on the rough stuff.

I topped off the tank at one of the local McGrath's Hill servos then headed out through Pitt Town to Maroota.

Taking the scenic route along the River Road to the Webbs Creek ferry and across so I could get up on to the Wheelbarrow Ridge Track was a very good run.

The Wheelbarow Ridge Track runs on the Wheelbarrow Ridge Road.
This is one of the "garden ornaments" you can find along the way there.

I headed on out to the Putty Road and immediately turned off on to the Colo Heights road and made my way down
to the Colo River where I stopped for my pre-packed lunch [no Subways or KFC out this way].

Over the river and around to Comleroy Road took me up in to the Wollemi National Park where I went up on to Mountain Lagoon Road.

You need to keep an eye out for the local "pedestrians" of all shapes and sizes.
This guy was only one of several assorted reptiles wandering across the roads
[plus Goannas, Monitor Lizards, Frill Necks, Blue Tongues and a Green snake around 1.2mt long].

I found a few assorted tracks leading off the roads in places and managed a little exploring [caution was the mandate though as I was riding alone].

I'm sorry many of the pics feature my KLR rather than my Wee-Strom guys.

But those of you who have not already explored some of these areas may now get the "itch" to do so over the coming months.

I will be out and about in the mountains on both of my bikes in the future and will be hopefully doing some camping rides in the area as well.

I covered 180km for the day, a large part of that on dirt.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Very nice Ock,looked like a pearler of a day,strange you didn't get any partners with 30 minutes notice and nice of GDU to give you a hand with the maintenance stuff :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice Ock,looked like a pearler of a day,strange you didn't get any partners with 30 minutes notice and nice of GDU to give you a hand with the maintenance stuff :mrgreen:
Hey, I posted on the other thread by CHINO just after midnight- that gave them 9.5 hours to get their acts together. :confused:
:biggrinjester:

GDU just wanted to get out of his house for a while. :green_lol::green_lol:

·
Registered
470 Posts
This is one of the "garden ornaments" you can find along the way there.

Gee Ock, that KLR looks a bit too good for a "garden ornament":biggrinjester:
Looks like you are getting out and having fun on it. The poor old Strom will be feeling neglected.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Nice backyard we have in this area, north of the line :) if you are looking for a camping spot check out "devils wilderness" in the blue mountains NP,,, its south of bells of line road, enter via burralow road or pattersons ridge fire trail.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice backyard we have in this area, north of the line :) if you are looking for a camping spot check out "devils wilderness" in the blue mountains NP,,, its south of bells of line road, enter via burralow road or pattersons ridge fire trail.
Been down Patterson's Ridge to the Burralow camp ground [is that the same one? I will google "devil's wilderness"].

I've been riding around your "backyard" and "front yard" so often over the last few weeks, sooner or later I will meet you coming out of your driveway [wherever it is].

If you see the white Wee or blue KLR wave me down.

I'm really starting to love the trail riding [not motocross] in the bush.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yes thats the campground, there are some good camps north of St ALbans on tracks off the wollombi rd and also south of Glenbrook, just keep heading past jellybean pool. If you want to go over the mountain there is Newnes and Lisdale state forests.....so many tracks & not enough weekends !!!
Now that Im back in Aus for a while Im sure we will pass each other, are any of the McGraths Hill mob going on this years long ride charity run?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes thats the campground, there are some good camps north of St ALbans on tracks off the wollombi rd and also south of Glenbrook, just keep heading past jellybean pool. If you want to go over the mountain there is Newnes and Lisdale state forests.....so many tracks & not enough weekends !!!
Now that Im back in Aus for a while Im sure we will pass each other, are any of the McGraths Hill mob going on this years long ride charity run?
Which charity run is that?

And you are right about not enough weekends [I do try to throw in the odd weekday ride when I'm not rostered on though].

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Hey Ock those trails look like a lot of fun,slow and easy and medicinal type rides--now you have me looking for a second bike :mrgreen:as I have no intention of bashing up the wee--in the hot summer months,ie total fire ban periods are the tracks locked down or is it a prudent avoidance type thing?one could do some BIG damage with a hot exhaust in there.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Ock those trails look like a lot of fun,slow and easy and medicinal type rides--now you have me looking for a second bike :mrgreen:as I have no intention of bashing up the wee--in the hot summer months,ie total fire ban periods are the tracks locked down or is it a prudent avoidance type thing?one could do some BIG damage with a hot exhaust in there.
A nice DR650 with a Safari tank would be better than the old KLR but the KLR has a 21 litre tank already, the Doohickey is supposedly an issue but you could find a cheapie like I bought and just hope it doesn't blow up.
The KLR is water cooled and struggles on slow sections on warm days, the DR is air cooled [there are other brands/options in the trail bike range as well though].

Not sure if tracks get locked down but I doubt they would manage to go around and do that.

I have always stayed out of the bush during high risk and fire ban periods in any kind of vehicle [being a 4WD enthusiast, spending lots of time time in the bush and being an ex CFA volunteer when I lived in Victoria I'm well aware of the fire season risks].

Make sure your exhaust is legal with spark arrestor or whatever comes as stock with it still fitted.

Any of the Japanese bikes in the 400-650cc bracket with a decent fuel tank would be good.
If you want to pack for camping [as I will be] then stick with the higher end of the bracket, the bikes are physically bigger thus capable of carrying the load but heavier to pick up :fineprint:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
A nice DR650 with a Safari tank would be better than the old KLR but the KLR has a 21 litre tank already, the Doohickey is supposedly an issue but you could find a cheapie like I bought and just hope it doesn't blow up.
The KLR is water cooled and struggles on slow sections on warm days, the DR is air cooled [there are other brands/options in the trail bike range as well though].

Not sure if tracks get locked down but I doubt they would manage to go around and do that.

I have always stayed out of the bush during high risk and fire ban periods in any kind of vehicle [being a 4WD enthusiast, spending lots of time time in the bush and being an ex CFA volunteer when I lived in Victoria I'm well aware of the fire season risks].

Make sure your exhaust is legal with spark arrestor or whatever comes as stock with it still fitted.

Any of the Japanese bikes in the 400-650cc bracket with a decent fuel tank would be good.
If you want to pack for camping [as I will be] then stick with the higher end of the bracket, the bikes are physically bigger thus capable of carrying the load but heavier to pick up :fineprint:
Yes,I will be looking at a project bike $2-3k max My eldest Son is getting married on the strom gathering weekend stuff him and that will empty the piggy bank somewhat.How come you can't register a 250 aggy that would be perfect for what I have in mind.:furious:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Yes,I will be looking at a project bike $2-3k max My eldest Son is getting married on the strom gathering weekend stuff him and that will empty the piggy bank somewhat.How come you can't register a 250 aggy that would be perfect for what I have in mind.:furious:
Get an older already registered Ag bike off a farmer [I rode a couple of 250cc bikes and decided they didn't have the grunt for safe travel on the road, hence the older KLR650].

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mr Ock when are you going again? next 2 weeks for me is impossible.

But after that. any saturday or sunday

COME ON GUYS WHO IS IN? :hurray::hurray::hurray:
I tend to wander around the general area up there a fair bit lately since I've been trying to improve my dirt skills.

Happy to go again soon.

I really want to do the Bilpin to Mt Irvine section via the Mt Irvine road but it may not be Strom friendly [you would definitely need a bash plate], I did a short section in the 4WD last weekend and bailed out on it because we were alone and I don't have a winch or much recovery gear in the Delica at the moment.

I would take the KLR because I don't yet have a bash plate on the Wee [and I like it too much to drop it], the KLR on the other hand can be dropped any time without me shedding a tear [shhhh, don't tell the KLR riders, they will get pi$$ed off with me :var_49:]

We will sort a day soon. :yesnod:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts