StromTrooper banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished off the last part of the 5000km service (airfilter) (did the oil ect the weekend before) on the Wee on the weekend , airfiler needed cleaning , a few insects had got into the airbox.
Checking everything before putting the tank back on i found the intake rubber between the airbox and the rear throttle body 95% off :jawdrop: also it had rubber grease on it , loosened the clamp pushed the tube back on , slide straight off again soon as i moved the the airbox , cleaned the rubber grease off with petrol and rag no problem the tube stayed on . Checked the front one , more rubber grease but it was staying on , had a look down the inside of the throttle body and found more grease :furious: , clean again with the petrol rag .

This had been done by a dealer in the c/west of NSW , i have been having a harmonics problem (6000 rpm ) with the wee since new and had taken the wee back to him to sync the throttle body's ( he didn't check them at the first service) about 3 weeks ago. Also a few days after he had done the job i found they had OVERTIGHTENED :furious:the chain !!!!

Anyway he,s not getting anywhere near the wee anymore , if it needs to go to a shop , I'm taking it to a dealer in the next town whom i trust :hurray: .
Iv'e ordered a workshop manual :yesnod: , will do most of the work myself !!!!
Funny thing the wee is running sweeter now , it must have been sucking a little air in at the rubber and was upsetting the EFI .

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
It's always the problem. Mechanic might know a lot more than me on what to do, but few will take the same care and pay the same attention to detail as an owner

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
a few insects had got into the airbox
Next time you take the lid off the air filter box put a bit of flyscreen mesh over the opening and hold it on with a cable tie. It's the best mod you can make to a Strom in OZ, totally eliminates flying things inside the air box.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Dealers---BEWARE OF!!

Always a risk. Once you drop off your bike for service you never can be sure whose fingers,finger your bike. Perhaps it's a good idea to request a senior (not a first year apprentice) mechanic be the only one to touch it, or at least check and sign off the job.

I've been lucky in that I have taught myself to do all but the major work, in fact I've never had a bike needing a full strip down, touch wood.

You have to have eyes like a hawk when you let someone handle your loved one. THAT REMINDS ME. When I was an apprentice, when the earth was young, I remember a tradesman saying to me when I asked to borrow a chisel ' I don't lend me tools or me missus'.
I thought that was funny, still do!

Ride safe, someone wants you home to-night.

WARDY

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys , Off work today - sick :thumbdown:. Boss sent me home.
K1W1, thanks for the suggestion , have already covered the intake with fly wire on the weekend , great idea.
Used to live on a farm between Forbes and Grenfell years ago , during one bad grasshopper plague i only got about 2 miles up the road before the car started overheating from the radiator full of grasshoppers , does the wee airbox fill up with insects if left uncovered ?
Back to the wee , its running so much sweeter now , cold starting , idles smoother and not as much engine noise when you open the throttle now , looks like there may have been more than a little bit of air getting sucked in at the rubber.
Going to ring the dealer :argue: when the manual arrives , when i picked up the wee after he had done it , he told me the adjuster screw (i had put red paint on it after checking/adjusting the sync ) on the throttle body primary butterfly's was the idle adjustment screw , i know from this forum the idle is done by the computer NOT by a idle screw from 2007 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way I myself am a mechanic the only reason I have been taking the wee back to the dealer is to keep Warranty (suzuki) happy just in case something happens later.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
does the wee airbox fill up with insects if left uncovered ?
Uncovered it seems to be a magnet for all sorts of flying and crawling things. There must be something in the flow of air or shape that attracts bugs into it I've never had any other bike that gets so many bugs into the air box.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts