StromTrooper banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I noticed that my DL650 with 30K miles was shifting much more smoothly than normal. I also noticed that it was low on oil. I topped it off, and found that the transmission was back to its old clunky ways. So 2 questions:
1. Anyone else notice this?
2. Can anyone come up with a possible explanation?
I don't usually imagine things, but today I did think my toilet was moving. (It was.)

·
Registered
219 Posts
I cannot speak for low oil.... but I can say that my wee shifts differently immediately after an oil-change.

Hence, my initial impression is that the NEW OIL you added may have been related to the shifting-difference as much as the level-change.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I don't remember ever noticing any difference. Seems to shift the same all the time.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I've heard it the other way around, that the SV engine like to be full up. Seems it runs smoother that way. Not sure about the shifting though.

Maybe RandyO will weigh in on this, seeing as he is an old SV-ite.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My k3 SV was like that, fill it to the top of the line and it didn't want to find neutral, take some out so it was halfway or less and you could get neutral every time. My k 8 DL doesn't mind a full sump.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i have noticed exactely the same thing (DL650 70000km). My theory is, that the lower oil level causes less friction between the clutch plates when the clutch is open. As a result i also have no more clunck when shifting from neutral to first. This is only possible if the input shaft does not turn in neutral. For this to happen the friction to turn the input shaft has to be higher than the friction in the open clutch.

·
Registered
329 Posts
@KOG
What oil are you using? Since buying my Wee in '05 I think I've tried most of the popular brands in 10/40. This year I'm using Pennzoil Motorcycle 20/50, it has to be the best yet! Easy starting, even in cool weather, and smooth shifting - the dreaded neutral to first 'clunk' has gone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts