StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any experience with these on a Wee or Vee? I searched but don't see them mentioned much. The price looks good as compared the the PR3.

I am taking my Weestrom on a 2 week cross country trip in August and will need a tire to last me the entire trip 5-6k miles. I will not be doing any off-road on this trip. Lots of highway miles too. I think one of the dual compound tires would be jsut the ticket for a trip like this. I like the look of the PR3's but they are a bit more than I really want to pay for a tire. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Excellent choice for the street. I had a rear on my K7, (they didn't make it in a 19" at the time for the front). Can't remember right off hand but it lasted about 12K-14K miles I think, longer than the original TW's. Sticks better in the corners too. I have a pair sitting in my garage right now waiting for the chance to go on my L2 soon as I wear out the TW's on it.

·
Administrator
17,372 Posts
Inferior in every way IMHO compared to the PR2/PR3, and there has been "many" issues with Bridgestones on the C14. If the Pirelli Angel ST comes in the Strom sizes, it is an EXCELLENT tire!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol! Well, that's a tire thread for you. Two completely different opinions of the same tire. Thanks for the responses. Keep'em coming.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Well there is a pair sitting in my Garage

expecting a mid July install. Maybe its the time of year but I only saw PR3 at about 280 delivered and these were 225

I was interested that they were supposed to be hard and medium

PR3 were supoosedly medium and soft

·
Administrator
17,372 Posts
Lol! Well, that's a tire thread for you. Two completely different opinions of the same tire. Thanks for the responses. Keep'em coming.
Except for the fact that I am right.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm . . . So maybe the price difference is worth the extra mielage from the PR3? I really need a tire to go the distance on this trip. I must be hard on tires because I never get anywhere close to the mileage that others seem to get. For example, I have 3500 miles on my stock Trailwings and the rear is almost gone. I check tire pressures and keep them at the recommended pressures. I do ride hard most of the time. Plus it has been pretty hot here this spring/summer so far. I've never got more than 4500-5000 miles out of a rear tire. The fronts are usually pretty well used up at the same time, but will have a little tread left when the rears are shot. I always replace both as a set.

Looks like I may try the PR3. I don't ever think I have heard anything bad about them.

Thanks for the input.

Chris

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I think if your slabbing it you WILL get a lot better mileage

I have had tires last 700 and 7000 depending on what I am doing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i'm running the 023 and have had no problem. My second on the rear. Got 16000 miles from the first one. Now there is a front, so I'll do that when the Battlewing wears out. I live on a dirt road and I haven't noticed much difference between the Battlewing and the 023. I'm not an adventure rider, but I do ride 20,000 miles a year.
Fred

·
Registered
722 Posts
I was interested that they were supposed to be hard and medium

PR3 were supoosedly medium and soft
ive used BT023. they ok, no slip, no slide, no flats. but, they wear out fast. OTOH, ive used PR3. they ok. no slip, no slide, no flats. and they get much better tire mileage.
Again, more conflicting opinions.

I am currently a very happy PR3 rider. But the $70+ discount to go Bridgestone this time 'round is mighty appealing. I hear many report that the Bridgestones are more forgiving when ridden hard.

I am suiting the 'strom up for a track day. My current PR3's aren't really done.. but I am concerned they won't pass tech and I don't want to chance it.

Any other thoughts out there on the BT-023 for spirited street use?

·
Registered
249 Posts
tires

Mine arrived yesterday, going on in a couple of weeks. I still have a little left on my Battlewings. All I have heard from people with the BT-023 is good, both strommers and others. I have a friend with a ST1300 who rides very hard and fast and he is happy with them. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Had bt's on my Goldwing and they were the JAM. Great tire. Going to go back to them and switch out for trail and street.

FOR TRACK. though I really wouldn't run the bts unless you are a novice rider. Corsa 3's Metzler M3 grerat choice low mileage 4k max but grip is fabulous.

Back on track to the thread. I would go with the BT's they will last for your long distance trip and then some plus great in the rain as well. MY 2 cents.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Worley, your fast tire consumption may be due to the fact that some regions use an aggregate in the pavement that is especially abrasive. The folks in any auto tire shop should know.

The PR3 might be better in the rain than the BT023.

·
Registered
722 Posts
FOR TRACK. though I really wouldn't run the bts unless you are a novice rider.
I'm either a novice rider or the PR3's are way bettah than the BT-023's. Because the PR3's treated me well at the track. .. Although, I do run in the novice group.

This is a track day; I am not racing.

I am looking for some sport-touring rubber. The tires will see some track action and then get abused for another 8-10k commuting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts