StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DL1000K7,. 225lb rider and I figure another 100lb of hard bags, farlkes and camping gear. I've actually been pretty happy with the Battlewings and found a rear with a little more tread depth (speced for Tenere). I ride 99% on-road and a lot of interstate. Any higher mileage tires I should consider?

Thank you!

Jim

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Well, I'm about to conduct an experiment on this very subject, so I'll report back when I have more information. I just installed a set of Mitas E07 tires on my Super Tenere; not because of their on/off road capability, but because they are purported to be some pretty high mileage tires. Obviously, that's an important quality for a touring tire. I've put a couple hundred miles on them so far, and found that they are surprisingly smooth on the highway, in spite of their chunky appearance. I don't see any issues with them as a touring tire as far as excessive highway vibration goes. The seem to do fine in the rain, at least as far as my riding style goes. Next month I'm riding from my home in NC out to Colorado, for a tour though Colorado, Utah and New Mexico, so I'll have an excellent chance to evaluate the tire's longevity while doing two-up loaded touring. If I can achieve the sorts of mileages that I've seen reported by others (in the 7000+ mile range), then these will become my new go-to tire, to replace the Shinko 705's that I normally run. I was a Battlewing fan too, and could fairly consistently get 5000 or so miles out of a rear tire with a lot of two up riding, but the Battlewings are on the way out. I love the Shinkos, but for me they aren't a good choice for a really long distance ride; I've gotten as little as 3410 miles on a rear, and my maximum distance ever on a rear was 5225 miles. Mileages can vary wildly with the same tire depending on riding conditions, so mileage reports can be pretty subjective, but reports on the E07 seem to be fairly consistent on their reports of higher mileage. I'm hoping my experience mirrors that.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Later this summer I will do a test on the Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trail tires. I?ll be heading to the Black Hills of South Dakota and wanted some good street tires on my Wee. Can?t complain about the Shinko 705?s I?m using now except the noise. I got 10,000 miles on the last rear and still had some tread left. (a couple 32nds) Keeping the 705?s until the Colorado get together and then on to the Michelins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,020 Posts
Nothing wears like K60s but you need to be cautious in the wet tho with ABS that is reduced. There are lots of reports of 20k miles and certainly mine were fine after 15,000 km and passed road safety.
When i first got the 2010 Wee was riding in Vermont and another rider started chatting - he got 22k miles on his.

i have e07s now on my klr but don't do high miles. certainly scout k60s are designed for mileage ....the mitase07 a compromise with softer compound - better wet handling. both good on gravel.

Reactions: rev383

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
In the 122K on my 650, the highest millage was the original Metzeler Tourance((14=K and 2/32 left).

Reactions: rev383

·
Registered
411 Posts
Jim -- I'm really liking the Metzler Tourance on my 08 DL1000. My set up and weigh factors are quite similar to yours. I put 8,600 miles on my first rear Tourance and looks as if I could trust it for another 1,000 miles but I put a new one on this week for a 3,600 mile trip I am setting out on. I'll come back to that used one later and finish it out. I ran a number of Shinko 705s but the noise was just too much -- really loud hum around 45-55 mph. Maddening. The Shinkos never gave me a consistent mileage either. Each set went a different number of miles. So, my advice at this time is the Tourance. Oh, and the OEM Battlewings are just fine, in my book. They would sing a little bit to me but nothing as bad as those Shinkos.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts