Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the 2009 Suzuki catalog,Suzuki finally listed the vstrom series as a sport touring bike.I seen videos of people taking a vstrom on the dirt I think it is definatley a 1000% road bike!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Adventure tourer would work! I go everywhere with my Vee, but it ain't a real DP bike. Ground clearance alone is enough to know that let alone its weight, but a lot of people, myself included, ride it way over its design limits and it still holds up well. I killed a KLR rider up our local mt, but as soon as it started getting rough I had to back off and let him by as it would be stupid to push the bike enough to do damage to the frame, wheels or suspension.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
In the 2009 Suzuki catalog,Suzuki finally listed the vstrom series as a sport touring bike.I seen videos of people taking a vstrom on the dirt I think it is definatley a 1000% road bike!!
I agree with you and think Suzuki should put more on road oriented tires on it or upgrade the suspension and make it more off road worthy. BB

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I think they'd be smart to push the 1000 as a sport touring bike and the 650 as the more adventurous adventure tourer.

You could still a have plain Jane base model of each bike, with pre-farkeld models better equipped for the purposes mentioned above:

For the 1000 sport tourer, a belt drive and more integrated luggage, a upgraded road-oriented suspension, ABS brakes, a touring seat, etc.

For the 650, knobbies, a high front fender, taller, wider, flatter bars and an upgraded more off-roadworthy suspension.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Interesting, since on the website they are now only listed only as Dual Sports.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
suzuki canada

the canadian website has it in the touring and duelsport catagories . the websites are same but different bikes in different catagories . the canadian site has 10 bikes listed as touring where as the amercan site has only three

·
Registered
984 Posts
Yadda, yadda

The V-Strom is what it is. Just a real good, all around, general purpose bike. Not perfect at everything but very competent at most kinds of riding. Where you want to take it depends on your personal level of riding skill and confidence. Is it a dirtbike - no, can you ride it on non paved roads and easy single tracks - yes. If you're a good enough rider you can do the same thing on a Goldwing. So quit yackin' and just ride the feckin' thing!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
That the V-Strom in any configuration is, well its a Verry Flexible Motorcycle and in the hands of experienced riders it can and will do almost anything you ask of it. That having been said, you may or may not take yours off roads of Pavement variety But here in vermont ( and many other locale's ) the bike is great because we have a variety of road surfaces and it definitely will perform well off road. again it needs to be driven by an experienced rider for the more difficult sections. Such as this experienced rider :
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg216/barry_buchanan/2009 Trips/09 Trip Chisasibi/09 Trip Card 01/DSC06507.jpg

IMHO ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
In response to the picture posted by VtSTROM-K5... I adore flat black! I just haven't beaten my Strom up to the point I feel ok doing it yet. 30k miles down, so hopefully I've got another 70k to get it flat-black-worthy...

Love your bike!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
It can almost be anything you want it to be. My 1982 GS1100EZ was a dirtbike sometimes.:D

·
Registered
57 Posts
The forward facing air intake and paper air filter to not cut it as a dual sport. Even in street only use the filter picks up more bugs and dirt than any bike I can remember ever owning. The filter is also way to hard to access for the maintenance required off road.

·
Registered
435 Posts
The Wee a very capable off-road machine

When I first bought my Wee, I was disappointed when I took it off-road. I was expecting it to be as agile as the dirt bike I had as a kid. A little over a year later, I would not trade it for anything.
Of course it is not going to act like a dirt bike, but I behoove you to drive a dirt bike 240 miles to Moab, or 700 miles to the Black Hills, and then after that hit the trails on the same bike you rode in on. If you like this kind of riding, this is the bike for you.
In a nutshell: The bike cannot go everywhere that my dirt bike could go. The dirt bike cannot go everywhere my Wee can go (without a trailer.) My Wee is 1000% better off road than my last road bike (1979 CX500, graced the cover of Dirt Bike magazine in 1979.)

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
dual purpose ?

I consider my Vee to be a great multi-purpose bike. My 2007 has taken me 45.000km, in Canada and the US, often riding 2-up over all kinds of road conditions; except deep water and swamps. Stroms are just too big to be considered dirt bikes INMHO. Been there done that many years ago on a 250cc.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
FLASHBACK TIME or Welcome to the 70's...

Three words for the Vee or the Wee...Universal Japanese Motorcycle

My fellow ole farts know what I'm talking about...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts