StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice riding out there...for now. Anything going on Preskitt, SedonaCottonwood, Flag troopers?
OLD HIGHLANDER here, I live on Rt66 ,MP155 just up the road from exit 139 on I-40. I just bought an 07 650 wee, I still have to go pick it up in Texas, Feb 14th. As soon as I get it home to AZ I`ll be ready to ride and yes the weather has been great for riding and I haven`t been out enjoying it.. tap at ye soon

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we are still doing the 2-day campout adventure ride out of Prescott-Camp Wood rd-Bagdad area June 14-15. I think the plan is to start from the Overland Journal offices off hwy 89A in N. Prescott. There is supposed to be some "industry support" of some level also. More details coming shortly.

·
Registered
494 Posts
we are still doing the 2-day campout adventure ride out of Prescott-Camp Wood rd-Bagdad area June 14-15. I think the plan is to start from the Overland Journal offices off hwy 89A in N. Prescott. There is supposed to be some "industry support" of some level also. More details coming shortly.
Going to be pretty toasty for camping down that way by mid-June eh?

Riding down to Prescott for pie June 21st.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Thanksgiving Week Arizona ride

I'm looking at riding South from Northern Utah to do some riding in Arizona Thanksgiving Week. I will likely try to stay with relatives - lots of those in Mesa.

What's the best route to get down there that time of year?
If I can make it down, anyone interested in riding w/me? Not sure where to explore down there yet. I'll be looking at my maps. I may do a little camping depending on where to check out /ride...

Doug

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm moving to phoenix in December, and will be out there occasionally on weekends until then.

I don't know anywhere to ride there, but would be down to ride if it worked out sometime.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'll post updates as I figure things out.

My preference is to go through kanab, Utah on the way down instead of the Supersslabs, Las Vegas, etc. I'm not sure if I would hit enough higher elevations to worry about weather at the end of November.

I looked at my Arizona Butler map last evening.. My initial thoughts are to work my way South & maybe east/South over a few days, probably camping, so I can hit a lot of the recommended motorcycle roads on my map. & then hit Prescott & cottonwood areas while working my way back North. Maybe check out grand canyon South rim on the way home?

It looked like there are some 5000 + foot elevations in central & southeast Arizona that I'd be looking at riding. Not sure what end of November weather is like in those areas...

Doug

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I'll post updates as I figure things out.

My preference is to go through kanab, Utah on the way down instead of the Supersslabs, Las Vegas, etc. I'm not sure if I would hit enough higher elevations to worry about weather at the end of November.

I looked at my Arizona Butler map last evening.. My initial thoughts are to work my way South & maybe east/South over a few days, probably camping, so I can hit a lot of the recommended motorcycle roads on my map. & then hit Prescott & cottonwood areas while working my way back North. Maybe check out grand canyon South rim on the way home?

It looked like there are some 5000 + foot elevations in central & southeast Arizona that I'd be looking at riding. Not sure what end of November weather is like in those areas...

Doug
If you're still thinking about Grand Canyon south rim, be aware of the detour south of Page Az. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http://www.azdot.gov/projects/north-central/us-89-landslide/overview&ei=c5FJVIniE4HC8QHfvoC4Bw&usg=AFQjCNER6d9Va8Y-ifEfTaVLfz9alxhLvA&sig2=XKa8JG7eDSPgwUzxtqSKrg&bvm=bv.77880786,d.b2U&cad=rja

As for southern Utah, Zion NP is a great place for a Fall ride. I'll be backpacking there while your riding or I'd join you.
Utah SR 95 is a nice road, especially if you access it via Capital Reef NP. Have you ridden the excellent Moqui Dugway? It is SR 261 Between SR 95 adn US 163 (west of Bluff a few miles) and has about 3 miles of mild dirt road.

Riding thru the reservation is a yawner, but 191 has some interesting spots. If you go far enough south on 191 you hit the "Devils tail" between Alpine and Clifton Az. 94 miles of crazy curves. Take the 180 to return for more curves and scenic views.

Winslow off of I-80 is a fun place, you can stand on the corner just like the song! It is also a nice place to kick off a Route 66 jaunt. The 66 road from Winslow to Oatman (lots of burros roaming the streets) is filled with things to see! Like old cars and memorabilia? If you go that way be certain to stop at Hackberry and look at all the cool stuff they have, notably the cherry old corvette.

Sedona and Cottonwood area are nice to ride this time of year, the 89a to Prescott is fantastic.

Lots of great roads, have fun!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Thank you for the great info, Ken! I'm excited to check it out on my maps.

Doug

·
Registered
448 Posts
Today I did some preliminary research & made a couple of calls. Also talked to my wife a little bit.

This year it's my family for Thanksgiving, & right now I don't want to even talk to my family, so I'm thinking that this trip will be a little longer than I originally thought.

Here's my preliminary plan;

Friday November 21st- to Kanab, Utah, camp at rv park.

Saturday 22nd- make my way down to Taylor, Arizona & stay with my uncle. Stay there through Wednesday morning, making day rides of South eastern Arizona, using my uncle's place as base camp.

Wednesday 26th - make my way down to Mesa & stay with my aunt over Thanksgiving.

Friday 28th-head North, through Sedona & Cottonwood, ending up in kanab, Utah & camp.

Saturday 29th-ride home to Orem.

I have a lot of uncle's, aunts, & cousins around Mesa. Hopefully I would get to see some of them.

Doug

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm pretty concerned about what the weather will do the last part of November ; a lot of the areas I would ride are 4-5K feet to 9K feet mountainous areas. And coming back up through Utah coming home would be dicey if we end up with winter weather...

What do you think, is it silly to plan this trip for the end of November? The extendedfforecast is foe a weak El Nino, that would likely increase moisture / precipitation...

Doug

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hello? Is anyone out there?

Any Arizona guys have any feedback?

Doug

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm pretty concerned about what the weather will do the last part of November....... What do you think, is it silly to plan this trip for the end of November?
Doug
Hi Doug.... The weather around Flagstaff and Northern AZ can be cold and snowy as November approaches.... you could always ride south through Kingman/Lake Havasu etc into the "Valley of the Sun".... but then, you could have nice weather also.... Mother Nature is pickled come Fall.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
What do you think, is it silly to plan this trip for the end of November?
Doug
I don't think so, I ride every winter and yes, you can run into weather, but you will also have quiet roads, empty motels or campgrounds, and very few tourists at the scenic places. As Base Camp mentions Flagstaff will likely be cold, but it is pretty high, 7K I think. However, Sedona and other lower elevations will be about perfect riding temps.

When I go on winter rides I always keep an eye on the weather, and have an extra day if I need it to adapt plans. I have had to call the family once to bring a trailer and meet me in Beaver because there was 6 inches of snow on the ground at home and it was still snowing... When we got home we had to engage the 4WD to pull the trailer into our circle. But, that is once in numerous winter rides.

Wifey and I are going on a Death Valley/Rt 66 ride this December, we will trailer to Vegas, but only because Moma is going. If I was going solo I would not be planning in trailering.

When winter riding, I'm mindful of road temps. I try to ride when the sun has had some time on the roads to avoid icy situations..

BTW are you aware of Vegashotwheeler's NYDV (New Years Death Valley) ride? I believe it will be on January 2 this year and goes into Death Valley, which is usually 70 pleasant degrees in January. I'm sure he'll be posting up the details soon.

ps. when the weather is nasty and I have to get home I take the freeway as it is plowed more and usually the clearest road. Taylor, Mesa should be nice riding this time of year. Pinetop, Alpine might be cooler, but I would certainly would chance it. Highway 191 might be closed at the summit, but you can still ride from Alpine south, or Clifton north and do part of that awesome road.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Excellent! Thank you for your great feedback!

It's a little disconcerting to think about dealing with winter weather when you're a state away from home... Not as big of a deal when all I'm doing is commuting for work.

My wife isn't very on board with me going, mainly due to spending any money on trips. I don't know if this will stop me... She just won't be as happy with me than if I were to stay home... & I REALLY don't want to spend any time with my (my parents, siblings, etc.) family on Thanksgiving.

The biggest obstacle I may face that would prevent the trip from happening is work - not sure if we'll be done with a huge project by then. Right now the overtime is good for the paychecks... I guess I'll do some more planning & see how the rest works out.

Doug

1 - 20 of 37 Posts