StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I will be flying in to Greensboro to pickup my new 2011 Wee. I'll be riding west over the next two weeks mostly on Hwy 40. I am going to take some time to go through the Blue Ridge Mtns and the Dragon before heading to Nashville.

Would welcome suggestions on points of interest, favorite BBQ places, fave motels, etc....

My ride will begin 5/13 outta Winston Salem....oh yeah!! thanks in advance!!

aloha....doug

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
NC to CA

I did the reverse of your trip about 14 years ago. Except when I had to make up time, I avoided Interstate roads.

It went something like this:

Shipped bike to CA, did the tourist thing, downtown LA, Hollywood, Rodeo Dr then on to Las Vegas. Went to Hoover Dam, then down to Tombstone AZ, Bisbee,AZ, Deming, NM, El Paso TX, Alpine, TX, Del Rio, TX, San Antonio, TX, Houston, TX, Vicksburg, MS, Tupelo, MS, Cornith, MS, Pulaski, TN, Chattanooga, TN.

Finished the last leg via US 64. Did this in February (probably not smart), as a snow storm went through before me and another was following.

Almost forgot to mention, did this on a CBR 1000

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sounds like a great trip. Good advice to stay off I-40 as much as possible, taking secondary roads as often as you can. I-40 is abysmal and boooooring most of the way. Full of semi trucks and Stucky's.

Also, skip California (unless you must go there) and spend your time in Arizona and southern Utah. Much better scenery and friendlier folks. Cleaner air, too.

Yes, some areas in CA are nice - Sequoia NP, PCH (north of Morro Bay), northern CA, Tahoe, etc., but SoCal (LA area) is a wasteland. I escaped SoCal 20 years ago and have never been back. Too many other nice places to see and explore.

Just my .02 cents.

Ride safe.

CACooper

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
The OP lives in CA, he would probably like to get home.
Hwy 40 is fine the first time if you are planning on sight seeing or in a hurry. After that it is boring and in reality you can make it back from Tennisee in 3-4 days. Having a couple of weeks, my preference would also be Co, Ut, and or further north to Wy, Mt, Id, etc.. Either way, talk to locals, other bikers and they will give you plenty of info. With that much time, go where the wind takes you and just plan your last two days to get home. You won't be able to see everything, go every where so don't try. You should have a great trip no matter what your choice.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Is this bike certified for California? If not, how are you going to get California plates on it? Don't they have to be over 5 years old to bring a 49 state bike in?

Doug from Kentucky (who used to live in California a long time ago)

·
Super Moderator
16,232 Posts
Sounds like a great adventure back home on a new steed, congrats and enjoy yourself!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Is this bike certified for California? If not, how are you going to get California plates on it? Don't they have to be over 5 years old to bring a 49 state bike in?

Doug from Kentucky (who used to live in California a long time ago)
If it's a 50 state EPA sticker bike , no problem. If it's 49, then it must have over 7500 miles.

At my age, my wind takes me pretty far. Too much BBQ and my body can have a hard time distinguishing the difference between the four states of matter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where's Santa Rosa?

You guys are hilarious!! Yes I'm from Cali but NorCal in wine country...Norman I'm gonna try n hang for the rally! Sounds like a great gathering....I bought Miss Silvera's Wee n she's mapping me to get a taste of your mtns n especially the dragon...I'm hoping to to eat a lotta good bbq on my way west in addition to finding interesting sights. I'm planning more time in NC TN ARK NM n AZ

Hope to see a few of u at the rally! Aloha. Doug

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
...Norman I'm gonna try n hang for the rally! Sounds like a great gathering....I bought Miss Silvera's Wee n she's mapping me to get a taste of your mtns n especially the dragon...
If you think you'll like the Dragon you'll also like most of the roads that lead to and from the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Suggest you visit the Dragon/Deal's Gap on a weekday. On weekends it's usually a racetrack/parade/EMT academy.

How did you manage to get your VStrom stolen?

Tweaker?

Mistook for Beemer (joke's on them)?

No Harleys to park next to?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you think you'll like the Dragon you'll also like most of the roads that lead to and from the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Suggest you visit the Dragon/Deal's Gap on a weekday. On weekends it's usually a racetrack/parade/EMT academy.

How did you manage to get your VStrom stolen?

Tweaker?

Mistook for Beemer (joke's on them)?

No Harleys to park next to?
I plan to study the dragon next week n surrounding area. Will take yur advice bout midweek ride. My wee was stolen out of my driveway!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I plan to study the dragon next week n surrounding area. Will take yur advice bout midweek ride. My wee was stolen out of my driveway!
Bastards!

Lots of nice roads in the area.

A popular loop combines the Dragon with the Cherohala Skyway.

If you don't mind hiking a mile or two, there are some great waterfalls to check out, some are even on the side of the road.

If you are staying in Asheville, there are about 10 breweries within walking distance of downtown. Wicked Weed is the most innovative by far. Wednesday nights ADVrider folks gather at the Wedge Brewery in the River Arts District west of downtown and close to 12 Bones BBQ, open for lunch only.

There's great riding around Lake Lure, Little Switzerland off the BRP, Hot Springs and anywhere there are squiggly lines on the map. Sometimes the pavement runs out on these roads, so if you want to close a loop in the hinterlands you should be prepared for gravel,

You can stay right on the Parkway at the Pisgah Inn, about 20 mins South of Asheville. They have a nice restaurant, too. A little South of that is the Pounding Mill Overlook where you might find me watching the sunrise. Dawn on the PArkway is the ultimate. If I do a quick sunrise ride, I'm disinclined to ride up there later in the day primarily because of the traffic, especially in Summer or Fall.

Also about booze. There are archaic laws in some counties, if you like to have a drink before bedtime, you may want to have your own on hand before you settle in somewhere, the more remote the more likely you are to be in a dry county.

Have fun,

Norm

·
Registered
88 Posts
SN...I'm routing him up to the BRP from my home in Winston up 421 to the connector just "east/north" of Boone and with encouragement to stay on the BRP all the way to Cherokee. (epic ride/views)..Then down through Cherokee to Bryson City/Robbinsville and over to the Dragon then staying on 129 all the way to Maryville TN and then west.

Doug,I will be also suggesting to stay off I 40 as much as possible...too many trucks....!

If you are headed home/west from NC you HAVE to ride the BRP.....If you really wanna see the mountains AFTER they have been worn down....No better place to see them than the BRP/Appalachia... and in May! fantastic! should be plenty of wildlife moving too...

I figure his first night over from here will be Asheville (probably in Asheville by 6PM to 7PM) (if you are on the road by 12 the first day Doug) That is going to give you plenty to see and a pretty good day in the saddle for the "feeling out the bike" ride.... all of this depends on how much you stop along the way on the BRP... If not, I would suggest the first night over in Boone NC and then an early start the next day which will give you a good ride all the way to the Dragon on day 2.

Be prepared on the BRP (especially west of Asheville) to go through MANY tunnels.. The reason I say this is because they get so dark so fast your eyes won't adjust and WAMMO, into the side of the tunnel ..... I always leave the sun glasses off and use the tinted flip down shield on my helmet, that way I can just hit the tinted shield button and have the clear shield still down.

You are going to have an EPIC journey for sure.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome info!! Thanks Norm n Silvera!! This LeftCoast dude is mega excited!!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Doug, I've got a proposition for you. i can meet you in Winston Salem and ride with you to the rally. we could hop on the parkway at Meadows of Dan Va and camp there at Willville Motorcycle campground (he has a bunkhouse too). from there ride the surrounding roads (which are really good). Then meander down the parkway to Blue Ridge MC campground and camp there, riding the surrounding roads which are also good. then run on over to the rally a day early and ride some more roads. i normally do this trip 2 or three time a year. if at all interested, pm me your phone number and i'll call and talk.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm answering for Doug a little here.....

At the planned route for the first day...

He will be south (west) of Meadows of Dan. (going that direction up 52 would have him backtracking a bit)...will be leaving from Winston Salem and on his route/time schedule will be hitting the BRP on the west side of North Wilkesboro at the Boone/Blowing Rock connector

reason why is so he hits the RP/Dragon on day two of his trip and miss the heavy rally traffic (sort of),

Disclaimer: All plans subject to change by the minute!!! LOL!!

Kitesurfer, meet him in WS here at my place and you two could hit the BRP at the connector above. I am about 1.50 hours from there... it all then a west ride....

·
Registered
22 Posts
CACooper;2159034 Also said:
How far is Santa Rosa from California?
Which California? Someone's always trying to break us up into multiple states :mrgreen:
I only read the title of the post and missed where he's from. My bad. :var_52:

The latest proposal I've heard is breaking up California into SIX separate states. Cal is so big and over populated that Sacramento can't manage it any longer. Probably a good idea.

Oh, just for S&G's, Santa Rosa (NM) is 646 mi. from California. Santa Rosa (Argentina) is, well, a looong way from California. And California (MD) is 2420 mi. from California. ;-)

CACooper

1 - 20 of 25 Posts