StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm off to Asheville next week to spend the month of August carving the twisties. I haven't been back for five years. I'm looking forward to it. If anyone will be in the area, maybe we can hook up for some riding.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Have a safe trip Morrie, we will be in Andersonville, GA next weekend, and should be in that area the first week of September (1,2,3). That place is where I want to retire to, the riding is endless, and the roads are the best on the East coast.

happy trails,

Clem

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Well, I'm off to Asheville next week to spend the month of August carving the twisties. I haven't been back for five years. I'm looking forward to it. If anyone will be in the area, maybe we can hook up for some riding.
Send me a PM before you go.

I'm always happy to show visiting 'Troopers around if I can squeeze it into my schedule.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hard to NOT find interesting roads anywhere around the foothills to the mountains. Getting out of the piedmont gets you out of most of the heat!

If you have time find the communities of Luck and Trust. Just for grins and giggles.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had to move my departure to this Thursday. I'd like to avoid the interstate as much as possible. Does anyone know of some good back roads to the Asheville area if I jump off I-75 somewhere north of the Georgia border? I have done 23 north to NC but don't know for sure how to get to it without going through Atlanta. From what I understand, 441 has a lot of stop and go.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Just rode some great roads in the close proximity this past weekend. Many great roads to get there off the interstate

here is a possible track for you:

Fl/129-GA 31-GA 135-GA171-NC 28 you're there.

happy trails,

Clem

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Making me sad

That we cannot join you.
Morrie, Make sure you try to hook up with Stromin'Nroman. Norm knows all the great roads. Have a great time.
Hopefully Rick and I will be up that way in October.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Truth be known, I'm rethinking the trip. It was 100 in Atlanta today. I talked with a friend in Maggie Valley who said it was in the upper 80s even there! There have been heavy thunderstoms almost every afternoon. For a guy who likes to ride when it's below 50, those are daunting numbers.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Truth be known, I'm rethinking the trip. It was 100 in Atlanta today. I talked with a friend in Maggie Valley who said it was in the upper 80s even there! There have been heavy thunderstoms almost every afternoon. For a guy who likes to ride when it's below 50, those are daunting numbers.
I agree this is not the ideal time to go. Out timing last year was perfect. We waited for all the leaf peepers to go home. Last week of October we took the Autotrain from Sanford and rode the bikes home from VA. It was cold. Frost every morning but perfect for me and we had the Skyline and BRP all to ourselves. Except for the wildlife. We saw a ton of deer, bear and turkeys.

Here is the story and a few photos:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/showpost.php?p=487561&postcount=12

One of the highlights was meeting Norman in Asheville and spending a few hours letting him guide our ride.

I'm not sure if we will do a repeat of the trip this year. I'm thinking more of heading toward the Barber Museum in Alabama. That might happen closer to Thanksgiving.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
It will be in the upper 80's in the mid to late afternoon. It's a little cooler at Parkway elevations. Also, a lot of these backroads parallel rivers and creeks with a pretty good canopy = less hot.

There's about a 30-40% rain chance with most of the storms popping up in the late afternoon. These are ususally scattered and don't last long, but are often intense.

If you're an early riser the riding is great this time of year - just have a large late lunch, a siesta and then head out in the evening to watch the sunset from the Parkway.

If you're headed up this way, give me a holler.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree this is not the ideal time to go. Out timing last year was perfect. We waited for all the leaf peepers to go home. Last week of October we took the Autotrain from Sanford and rode the bikes home from VA. It was cold. Frost every morning but perfect for me and we had the Skyline and BRP all to ourselves. Except for the wildlife. We saw a ton of deer, bear and turkeys.

Here is the story and a few photos:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/showpost.php?p=487561&postcount=12

One of the highlights was meeting Norman in Asheville and spending a few hours letting him guide our ride.

I'm not sure if we will do a repeat of the trip this year. I'm thinking more of heading toward the Barber Museum in Alabama. That might happen closer to Thanksgiving.
Winnie,

That makes a lot more sense for me. I never thought of the auto train. I'm going to check it out.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Ok, I'm going on my rant. I have NEVER canceled a ride for being too hot, but I have canceled many rides for the weather being too cold. I rode in 100 degree temps in full gear over this past weekend, no not mesh gear, all season gear. It was warm, but not any where warm enough to forgo a ride.

rant over.......:thumbup:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Clem,

I'm on the absolute other side. I can only remember once when I actually felt cold on a bike, and I have ridden in some pretty frigid conditions. I can't deal with the heat. That's why I like northern California riding so much. In Florida, I usually park the bike June through September.

I didn't figure on having to ride through a heat wave to get to Asheville. Maybe I'll head up there tomorrow in my air-conditioned Miata. It's great in the twisties too.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Hate the heat also

I've got to agree with Morie. I can stand it reaslly cold. I rode to work every day last winter. Morning temps were often in the mid 20's. Only my hands got cold.
I stopeed riding last month because the ride home was so horribly exhausting. I was arriving home with a horrible headach. As long as I'm moving I'm OK but there is a lot of stop and go with no options for a route free of traffic and stop lights. I'm afraid the bike will stay parked for the next month at least.

I suppose Morie could get a early morning start and get as far as Atlanta (not sure how far south you are starting from) before it got horribly hot but that still leave a long ride to reach some elevation and possibly cooler temps. In another two months (six weeks probably) things will be much better temperature wise.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
I've gotta ask- are you guys from someplace else? because Florida is not the place to be if you like it cold and can't stand heat.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Since you asked: I am from Maine, but I love the heat, that is exactly why I moved here 23 years ago. I got tired of frost bitten hands and feet, limited riding days, streets that were so heavily iced that two wheel transportation was impossible, frozen iced up visors on helmets virtually blinding me, and needing electric clothes to bear the conditions. Maybe that's where I got my bias...:confused:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've gotta ask- are you guys from someplace else? because Florida is not the place to be if you like it cold and can't stand heat.
That's a very good point. Sarasota is a cultural mecca, with great music and theater. In the winter it's comfortable for me. I try to spend the summers in North Carolina or San Francisco where it's cool, but I don't always make it.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
We've got to trash this place some or everyone would want to live here.

I've lived in FL since 74 and I do love it. I do not love standing at a traffic light at 5 pm in July and August. Just a few more weeks and the worst will be over.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I growed up in South Florida (Ft. Lauderdale), I moved to Western North Carolina in 1996. I hate it here: the natives befuddle me with their gentle nature and hospitality, the winding mountain roads induce nausea and the moderate climate with a gentle change between the four seasons requires an expanded wardrobe.

In the land of my childhood, one need not question the motives of one's neighbors, the roads allow for exponential multitasking and the weather guarantees a year-round wardrobe consisting primarily of moist cotton.

I have joined some of the Florida Troopers in the Tampa-Gainesville Equine Corridor (T-GEC) and was held briefly in the rapturous thrall of the previously unknown-to-me picturesque hinterlands. I hope to return in February.

However, I just got back from a late July week of shuttling between a hotel and office in Tampa traffic and would have to concur with Winnie's assessment.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts