StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks:

Was checking my chain tension today. It's definitely on the looser end at 1.8", but I think it's OK for now; considering in Colombia the next road could very well be offroad.

In any case, I noticed a bit of noise coming from me free spinning the wheel (chain noise) when I was cleaning and lubing the chain today. I noticed that I could move the chain laterally (i.e. perpendicular from the way the chain moves ) very slightly. I just want to check to make sure this is normal. The chain has 10K some miles on it and I've adjusted it once or twice in that time, both small adjustments.

DID VM2 X-Ring chain.

Off to Bogota this weekend, then going to camp out a few months in Medellin living and working on my company (and meeting the locals ;p)

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Yeah, it's fine. It has to have some lateral play in order to move.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably fine but double check your rear sprocket for flex and alignment, etc.

Long way to Bogota
How do you check for flex? Just pull back and forth on it and make sure that it doesn't flex?

Made it to Bogota; next stop Medellin (about 200-300 miles from here). Bogota is a pretty cool city; reminds me of the New York of South America.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
side to side

the more wear that you have on the bearing interfaces, the more the chain can move side to side

so its a handy indicator, along with regular slack tests

1 - 6 of 6 Posts