135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in 2 hrs of traffic recently and bike never got over 3 bars on temp gauge
5-10 mph for like an hr at a time and never got any hotter
does that seem normal

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sounds normal to me. What was the air temperature?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah, I've never seen mine get any hotter. That's a huge rad with a fan, two cylinders only. Perfectly normal for the big strom.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yup. I noticed the same thing.
Last year I was in TN while they had a nice heat wave… the temperature gauge read at 39C (about 103F); stuck in Pigeon Forge tourist traffic for over an hour, and the gauge never went over three bars.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Mine seems to stay at three bars except when it is really cold outside. Sometimes then it only makes it to two bars. Actually, I have worried about riding it when it doesn't seem to warm all the way up on those winter days.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Just sounds like excellent engineering of the cooling system to me...my Honda's always seemed to be more sensitive to ambient air temp...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Mine seems to stay at three bars except when it is really cold outside. Sometimes then it only makes it to two bars. Actually, I have worried about riding it when it doesn't seem to warm all the way up on those winter days.
Keep in mind that the air flowing over the outside of the engine also cools the water. On a cold day and if you're using little gas, there isn't enough heat generated to keep it warmer. I don't think you have a problem. If you'll feel better next winter, try a new thermostat.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Keep in mind that the air flowing over the outside of the engine also cools the water. On a cold day and if you're using little gas, there isn't enough heat generated to keep it warmer. I don't think you have a problem. If you'll feel better next winter, try a new thermostat.
Thanks, I would loose a lot more sleep if I was running hot.

On a separate but related note. I may be doing some long highway drives in Western Kansas this summer. Is there anything about the bike I need to keep in mind running at high speeds with a high ambient temperature?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
Check the oil level daily. High speeds and high temps have caused oil loss through the breather tubes on other models at least.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks, someone told me to check the oil every day under normal conditions so I will continue to do it in the heat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I crossed the Utah & Nevada deserts last summer on my way to and from CA in very hot temps. Ran 70-80 mph all day. 3 bars, no issues.

·
Super Moderator
13,102 Posts
I've ridden in high temp, high humidity east coast weather - to extremely low temp 18ºF in New Mexico (end of January).

3 bars. No more, no less. Ever.
My 2015 DL1000 also stays at three bars done to 5°F. (Which is, of course, below what the DL1000 thermometer reads.) My DL650's dropped to two bars around freezing or less.

I haven't been in extreme temps in my DL1000, but my 2006 DL650 stayed at 3 bars in Death Valley at 126°F

..Tom

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
3 bars all the time, no matter when.

49C in death valley, sport riding, rider was overheating but the engine stayed 3 bars.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts