StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's say you have a standard 12V relay, such as is used with lights, horns and such. In it's normal use it is a normal OFF, the contacts only activated when power is applied.

What if it was installed in a normal ON arrangement? Would the relay burn up fairly quickly?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish? Relays with normally closed contacts are available. That may be what you want. When the relay is not powered, one pair of contacts pass electricity and the relay uses no power itself.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What are you trying to accomplish? Relays with normally closed contacts are available. That may be what you want. When the relay is not powered, one pair of contacts pass electricity and the relay uses no power itself.
I'm going to run the brake, tail, turns (same fuse) through a small rocker switch. Switch is only 6 amp, fuse is 15. I want to be able to turn off the tail and headlights (different switches of course) when I'm off road.

I actually had one in the garage. 5 pin. center pin is for normally on.

Thanks for the help. Glad I looked at what I had.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
<snip>. I want to be able to turn off the tail and headlights (different switches of course) when I'm off road.
<snip>
Because the VStrom has a shunt regulator (shorts the output of the stator to regulate voltage), running with less load can be harder on the stator and regulator then heavy loads. A permanent magnet alternator produces power whether that power is being used or not, so any energy not used is converted to heat in the stator and regulator.
You need the lights out to run from the cops / land use enforcement? :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Because the VStrom has a shunt regulator (shorts the output of the stator to regulate voltage), running with less load can be harder on the stator and regulator then heavy loads. A permanent magnet alternator produces power whether that power is being used or not, so any energy not used is converted to heat in the stator and regulator.
You need the lights out to run from the cops / land use enforcement? :)
Can you even run from a cop on a Strom? Not that I would. End my military career, not to mention loosing my clearance, which is useful in other ways. No land to enforce. I just like to have gadgets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts