StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy! Got me a new '05 Black on Black stealth fighter strom, and I'm currently suffering through the break-in period.

Periodically, especially down in the 3000-3500rpm range (where, frankly, the strom is a dog) I get a very slight bucking bronco kind of sensation. Every once in a while, there's an audible "Clack" and the bike's power cuts out for a split second. Most of the time, the bike runs great, but when I'm down in the lower RPMs it just seems to be cranky. Is this just normal behavior down below 4K or for break-in, or is this possibly indicative of something more... sinister.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Nothing "sinister", but some ECM's have been replaced under warranty because they are too lean (mine should be in today).

Others have cured this problem with using a Yosh or Teka box to adjust the ECM's map, and others have added a Power Commander unit to do the same thing (sorta).

If it's a new bike with a one year warranty, I'd have Suzuki fix it for free.

Take care,
Bob S.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah- HA!

Dealership called. There's a "Service Bulliten" out on my bike. Whadda ya wanna bet when I call back it's an ECU thing.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Redbeard said:
Nothing "sinister", but some ECM's have been replaced under warranty because they are too lean (mine should be in today).

Others have cured this problem with using a Yosh or Teka box to adjust the ECM's map, and others have added a Power Commander unit to do the same thing (sorta).

If it's a new bike with a one year warranty, I'd have Suzuki fix it for free.

Take care,
Bob S.

Bob,

Is there a site to go to find out the affected VIN's?

·
Registered
316 Posts
fl_strom said:
Redbeard said:
Bob

Is there a site to go to find out the affected VIN's?
As far as I know, it's not an "official" recall, just that Suzuki has realized they need to fix the bikes people have a problem with. (it seems some have it - some don't)

My dealer had to call Suzuki to get it OK'd - then he ordered the part - it's in, waiting for me to get past the 4th of July and bring it in to the shop.

So what you need to do is bring it in and have them ride it and see that it has the lean condition. My dealer didn't fight with me at all - just a "we'll call Suzuki"...

I'd say the surging on my bike was minor, but there - they seem willing to make it right. That's good enough for me - a dealer that is willing to try.

Take care,
Bob S.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Redbeard said:
As far as I know, it's not an "official" recall, just that Suzuki has realized they need to fix the bikes people have a problem with. (it seems some have it - some don't)
My dealer called it a "Service Bulliten." Basically you tell them it's lumpy/crappy in the magic range and they'll warranty up a new one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts